Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snuffycuts99

Still going crazy with brick...

snuffycuts99
9 years ago

Ok, we are still trying to find the right brick. I really really think we have it, but not 100% sure. We drove past a house today that we absolutely love. The brick is Triangle St. Croix. I can't find much online about it, but there is one pic on Triangle's website. While I like it, it definitely looks a little different than the house we saw today. What do you think? Did you experience the same thing...the color looking different online from in person?

Comments (8)

• snuffycuts99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And the pic on their website...

• snuffycuts99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, now that I see them on this post they're looking more similar. Maybe it's just the light/shutters/etc. that's throwing me off.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

dreamer16,

We also found that brick on a website looked quite different than brick in real life. Also, I found that the website might show 4-5 houses all using the same brick and each one looked like the brick was slightly different. It is amazing the impact of the other house finishes, house orientation and the time of day the house was photographed.

One other key difference we found was brick colour from one size to another. For example in one brick we looked at in a large format was rather orange/red but in their queen size it was a much richer red. It turns out the brick being sold under the same name came from two different plants and the clay was different colour.

Mortar colour can also impact the colour of brick and the overall appearance. So, double check the colour of the mortar for the house you have seen in real life.

Finally, brick colour lots colours change over time. So be sure to check out the actual brick at the brick yard (not some sample that they have had in a showroom for years). Likewise the beautiful house may have been bricked 3 years ago and the current brick being sold by that name is slightly different colour.

I think the brick you are leaning towards is gorgeous. I believe you have a winner! But do your homework to ensure what you see on the house you like, is what you will get!

Carol

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

That is a lovely color, can't go wrong with it! it will hide foundation mud splatters from building. Also it will contrast nicely with foundation plantings.

• snuffycuts99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much...that helps to set my mind at ease. We will definitely keep doing our due diligence to make sure the color is what we want, but I do believe we have found our brick! Does anyone have a really good eye for this and can tell from the first photo what color mortar they used? Is that buff? I asked the brick supplier but unfortunately they didn't have that in their records.

• NChomegirl
    9 years ago

Are you in nc? If this is Triangle brick co from bc then they can give you a list of addresses of homes that were built from the brick you are interested in. Best way to select mortar is to take the mortar sample sticks and either match them to a house you like or simply put them against your brick and make a choice. Brick on bld holds up well over time aging and is fairly easy to match. Mortar color can darken w age and dirt so just beware fresh mortar may be brighter than what you intended but it will age. The designer at the brick manuf should be able to help w selections as well. Online pics are not a very good way to make a selection. Colors don't come through true. Good luck.

• snuffycuts99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. We're in pa so I guess that's why we don't have many sample houses to look at. But we do love the one we did see so we're trusting it will look the same.

• NChomegirl
    9 years ago

They can send you sample brick. Not a sample board but 3-5 actual bricks showing the range of colors in that brick. Not sure if i'm being clear. You know some times a brick will have some % darks, lighter and medium colored depending on the brick you select. Some are homogenious. Just depends. Don't hesitate to ask they will send the actual samples. Fyi my family is in the masonry business and i have worked with Triangle Brick
    quite a bit as they are one of our local suppliers.

Not sure who manufactures in PA but it would be lots cheaper if you didn't have the freight cost from a plant here in NC.