Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
R-38 icynene in attic space

Posted by mjlb (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 16:56

I would be surprised if someone has had this exact issue, but I'm hoping for some direction in researching this. (e.g. I've been to icynene.com, but didn't find answer that I wanted.)

The attic insulation is R-38 icynene. The inspector is suggesting that the icynene must be covered with gypsum board. I thought there might be a difference if the space was occupied vs unoccupied attic space? b-t-w, the attic space ceiling ht is much too low for future occupied use.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: R-38 icynene in attic space

Code requirement for an ignition barrier may be satisfied by 1.5" of mineral fiber, 3/8" drywall or 1/4" wood structural panels; other ignition barriers, including spray or roll-on fire barriers, may be accepted.

See link below for picture matching your situation. Your SPF installer should have mentioned this requirement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decoding Thermal and Ignition Barrier Requirements

o
followup

Ignition and thermal barriers are different, but related concepts. Having one doesn't preclude the necessity of having the other.

o

Wow, that was FAST, Worthy! From the date on the powerpoint booklet, I guess this is timely. The drawings at the back of the booklet are very helpful (our situation is a vented attic). When I've had a chance to discuss with builder and inspector, I may be back on-forum.

Thanks so much for your help!

o

Hi mjlb,
We'd like to understand more about your attic insulation and the gypsum board suggestion. You are welcome to contact our Building Science team to discuss your unique situation and get to a solution, please call us on 1-800-758-7325 (tollfree). Look forward to hearing from you!

o

additional info.

http://sprayfoam.com/newsarchives/archivedetails.cfm?id=512

open or closed cell? you are aware that to achieve
R-38 will take several inches of foam?
open cell is about R-4 per inch closed cell about R-7.
code doesn't accept q or k values invented by foam
companies.

best of luck.

o

Thank you all! It never ceases to amaze me the info available on-line.

Geez - a forum devoted to thermal barrier and ignition barrier for sprayfoam - who'd a thunk-it?

I passed the icynene 800 tel number on to the builder, since he is more conversant with the details of this project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here