Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Poll: which siding do you prefer

amykath
9 years ago

The top or bottom? Suggestions are always welcome!

The far left and right (where you see the 3 long windows are equally set back approx 6 ftish.

Thanks in advance!

Both will be creamy white stone and one shows stucco and the other board and batten.

We live in the Texas hill country and have expansive views of the lake and hills.

Comments (21)

• Herewegoagain
    9 years ago

I love the look of board and batten with stone. Have you considered putting stone up to a certain point and then board and batten above that? I think it would create a nice uniform look.......Just a thought:)

• BungalowMonkeys
    9 years ago

I like the cream board and batten look as well. I think it would make the home inviting to do it on both sides.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is on both sides.

• aam31
    9 years ago

Not enough stone with the b&b on both sides in my opinion. The stucco is definitely a cleaner look, b&b busier so it depends what you're going for. I prefer the stucco on your elevation.
    We were also considering b&b for our new 2 story home, but decided it reminds us of a barn or pole building too much.

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

Stucco and stone -- no B&B -- seems more in keeping with TX hill country -- probably less maintenance as well.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would you guys use the stone in the middle only and stucco on the sides? Can you tell me where you'd put the stone vs the stucco?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, two more options.

Number 1

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Option #2

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last option unless I do all brick or all stucco.

Thanks for your input and time. I know I have posted a ton of photos.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I just had a silly thought. Is your foundation poured yet?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! Not yet but probably in the next two weeks. I fixed some things and decided this one is the winner. The plants etc are just thrown in. Not perfect but I like it.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Whew! I was thinking about the foundation's stone ledge.

I like the stone coming up to the windows on the left. Gives it a more modern look.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mag! Also, I really appreciate all of your time and help!

• chispa
    9 years ago

For me, the stone going 80% up the wall doesn't look good. It makes me think you ran out of stone or couldn't afford to buy more ...

• Kathy Harrington
    9 years ago

I know you have already chosen and it's nice, but I really like the very last post you made with the stucco in the middle and stone on either sides where the windows are. Just my 2 cents. Either way, it will be a lovely home in a lovely spot!

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Sorry, but I too like the one harringk likes best. So my two favourites are the ones you posted Thursday at 9:14. or option #2 posted at 8:14 I am not a fan of the the one you posted at 10:42 as I don't like stone going up half a floor on a house. It is going to be a nice house no matter.

Carol

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

I like both options that highlight the front gable -- either stone or stucco there and then the opposite on everything else.

Not sure what kind of stone you are using -- if it is typical TX hill country limestone that would sway me to say use the stone on the gable only. If you are using a sleeker stone, I'd then say stucco the gable and stone everywhere else.

As the other's have said -- the house is going to be lovely no matter what -- would love to see a floor plan.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It will be Texas limestone RMS.

Also, it is hard to see but the other two halves of the house sit back about 7 ft give or take.

I did the mockup with the other two sides being all stucco. That idea got bashed on the Home and Decorating forum.

I will post a pic of my plans soon. Gotta dig that up.

Thanks for all of your advice!

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the floor plan and the architects drawings of the elevation. He has siding where we plan to use stucco. Also, we will have tress and plants in the front.

Does this change anyone's thoughts on my front gable being in stone?

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Elevation

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

Not sure if you are open to a few suggestions?

I am in TX and just finished a house w/a pool. I swim 4-5 times a week. When we first designed our master bedroom/bath, we had a door into the master like you do -- after thinking about dripping wet me walking across the entire bedroom (hardwood floors) to get to the bathroom/shower, we changed the plan to a door directly into the master bath instead, and I'm so glad we did -- I can go from dripping wet in the pool straight into the shower -- I mention this because your bathroom could be tweaked to have a door directly from the patio, or if the patio is at ground level, a few stepping stones to the back side of the bathroom to a door placed to the right of where the tub is?

Where will people using the pool go to the bathroom?

The floor plan is quite small on the screen, so not sure if I'm missing a second laundry? Is the laundry in the master the only one? If so, I might consider swapping the laundry and closet positions and make access to the laundry from the hallway to the master.

I like how the architect has incorporated traditional TX hill country details along with contemporary elements -- I think using stucco vs. siding will further that.

I hope you will post progress pictures along the way.