Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

mixing painted cabinetry with stained in different rooms...how to

illinigirl
10 years ago

So we wourld really like to have painted white or whitish cabinets in our kitchen, and because it's an open floorplan we'd match the same color cabinetry in the great room.

But in some of the other rooms, mainly the mudroom where I know from experience these areas take such a beating with the kids throwing their backpacks, going in and out of the garage door so much, etc- there I'd like to do stained cabinets. The trick is that some of the mudroom may be visible from the kitchen when the pocket door we are planning for is open.

Another case I'm wondering about is the front door. I am considering a barn red exterior front door and sidelights but I would not want to carry that color inside. How will that look?

And lastly, how about the style of cabinetry in the bathrooms? Should that be consistent with what's in the kitchen or can it be different? And how different are we talking....could we do a traditional recessed panel in the kitchen and a more contemporary slab style in the bath?

Is that something that would look bad or is it ok?

I just want to know design wise what looks best without being boring. thanks

This post was edited by illinigirl on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 16:39

Comments (5)

• pps7
    10 years ago

As long as it is all consistent ( traditional, modern, transitional etc) Mix and match away! We have white painted cabinets in the kitchen with stained built in in the dining room that is right next to it. Master bath has stained espresso cabinets and all the other baths have white. The unifying feature is that they are all recessed panel cabinets, although the style does vary a bit.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Of course, taste and design style is highly personal. That said, here's some thoughts:

o Make your fixtures, finishes and equipment consistent with the architectural style/history of your architecture;
    o If FFE (fixtures, finishes and equipment) are in the same space, make them consistent and compatible (there is a current design trend to mix and match FFE in the same space, but that takes way more skill and experience for success);
    o If FFE are in different rooms, make them consistent and compatible in each room or defined space, since different rooms are different spaces. This means that, as long as the rooms are separate, bedroom, bathroom and corridor may be different, so long as there is an overall harmony throughout;
    o Front door and sidelight, may be the same or contrasting with other window and door treatment. Front door and sidelights may contrast with other interior design, so long as overall colors are harmonious.

Of course, there are a gazillion ways to approach design, but this is my story (from 20 years of architectural practice) and I'm sticking to it!

Good luck on your project!

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the advice. this makes sense to me. Design is so complex!

Just to clarify on the front door....the exterior could be red and the interior could be a stained brown color?

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

also, what style would you call our exterior? this is the preliminary plan. I'm asking for the stone to be removed and for a cupola to be put on the left side. I'll have an updated version in a week or so.

What color do you think would look good on this home? I was thinking blue, or maybe even white. We are hesitant about a white home though, being in Michigan where there is snow for several months. Is white a bad idea in cold weather states?

Thanks!
    [img]

[/img]

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Red outside, stained inside on your front door is perfectly acceptable. My front door has a painted exterior, but stained interior. ;)