Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

please help asap, last minute plan changes

abekker
9 years ago

Should I keep the two side closets or get rid of them and have a foyer 1 ft bigger? Thanks

Comments (30)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hrre r the changes

• HOMESWEETHOME1
    9 years ago

FWIW, I know of nobody who ever said "thank goodness I got rid of that closet!"

Unless you truly feel that the extra 1' in the foyer is so critical to your enjoyment of the space, I'd keep the closets if it were me. What you stand to gain seems infinitely less useful than what you stand to lose!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

And have no overhang over your front door so folks can be in out of the weather while they are ringing the doorbell? No way!

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Definitely no. Keep the closets.

Aside from the obvious storage space, they provide a bit of "enclosure" for the front door . . . and then you enter into the foyer. They're a good feature.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my god, you guys are absolutely the best!!! You make it so easy, while my architect was advising the opposite.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my god, you guys are absolutely the best!!! You make it so easy, while my architect was advising the opposite.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another question, is moving the closet behind the bathroom to the front a good move or should I leave everything as is on the first plan?

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

I agree with the others on keeping the foyer closets as well.

What is your intention with the closet or it's general purpose? Game closet? Extra blankets/pillows? Vacuum?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vacuum could be one of those purposes.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vacuum could be one of those purposes.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Oh, I thought you were moving the guest closet to across from the powder room, which i thought was a good move because it creates a little "guest area".

Didn't notice that then you would have no broom closet or game closet at all. Games could go in a cabinet or armoire, but unless you want the brooms and such in the pantry, you need a closet.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not so much concerned with games, since we have a full basement for that, but I do like having ny central vacuum hose somewhere on the first floor right next to the swifter. I am not sure pantry is the best place for that, although I am pretty sure I could figure something out and squeeze it into the pantry. Sooooo, with that being said, what should I do?

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

If for not other reason - I like the positioning of the office door much better in your first drawing. Look where it moves in the second one with the closet moved. Not sure I'd want it opening more toward the middle of the room? Does that change things for you at all?

Because you have the foyer closets, I'd keep the closet where it is more toward the private spaces.

Just my opinion, I hope others chime in.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Leave it as is....it suits the house and gives you storage. I wish more plans did that :)

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 18:58

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not so much concerned with games, since we have a full basement for that, but I do like having ny central vacuum hose somewhere on the first floor right next to the swifter. I am not sure pantry is the best place for that, although I am pretty sure I could figure something out and squeeze it into the pantry. Sooooo, with that being said, what should I do?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was actually my latest plan until I started freaking out and changing it. I thought the closet was too deep and space was useless so I added a built in cabinet inthe office

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This was actually my latest plan until I started freaking out and changing it. I thought the closet was too deep and space was useless so I added a built in cabinet inthe office

{{!gwi}}

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other reason I started changing my layout is because in the first plan there is really no room for any furniture like bench and a nice mirror.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I am afraid that the closet door and basement door will clash in the first plan.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

What is above the closets? This looks like a 2 story foyer.

If there is a "plant shelf"..then I would not keep the closets.

If this is not the case then keep the closets.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2 story foyer, no plant shelf or anything

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2 story foyer, no plant shelf or anything

• HOMESWEETHOME1
    9 years ago

Can you maybe put a bi-fold door on the closet opposite the basement stair entry to reduce the likelihood of issues if both doors are open? Alternately, you might consider having the closet open from the family room side of that wall.

What goes on the foyer wall on the other side of the powder room? Can you put a small table there, or directly opposite that wall against the staircase?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On the right side of the foyer is an opening to the living room

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you guys think if I make the door open in in that closet opposite the basement door

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

abekker-from one over analyzer to another (affectionately speaking) - I think perhaps you are over thinking that?

Do you expect that the door will be kept open for either the basement or the closet? How often will someone need to get into both spaces at the same time where you would have a conflict?

I think the closet opening in would really limit it's functionality and the basement opening in would be a safety issue.

I really think it's good as drawn.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

How about a French door to the basement? That's what I would do, if it were used on a regular basis. More light to the stairs and you can see if someone is in the little back hall...before you open the door :)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Autumn4 unfortunately I have a visual of my 10 yr old running around with his friends and kicking that doir wide open as I would be getting the vacuum for argument's sake. Here is my latest. Please feel free to add any comments.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Ah yes. I have 9 and 12 yo boys myself. It doesn't really say what size the closet is but if it's not impeding your space (and it looks like it's not at all from the drawing) then go for it. I also like it opening that way because if it were left open your visual from the entry would just be the door itself and not the contents inside. :)

If not fake a serious injury the first time they do it and they might think twice. ;)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Should be ok. good size broom/vacuum closet or what not, I am sure it will be useful. Thanks again for all the valuable input.