Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it possible to use round downspouts with k-style gutters?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 16:30

We need k style gutters because of the leaf guard we are using, but I hate the look of crimped downspouts. Is there an item we can use to connect the round to the square so we can have the best of both worlds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it possible to use round downspouts with k-style gutters?

I googled it and this house has both. Can't tell if there is an adapter or not - might be a question for the gutter supplier.

I am with you. Not a fan at all of the crimped gutters. At least the K gutters sort of look like crown moulding. . . the crimped gutters are not my fave ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Round downspounts with K gutters.

o

athensmom, you're awesome. i'll see what my builder comes back with and post back.

o

The round spout that will fit the flat bottom of the K-style gutter doesn't have the same capacity to handle water that the rectangular spout could. 3" round is less area than 3x4 rectanglular. Same for 4" round vs. 4x6.
Casey

o

Round downspouts/leaders are most commonly used with half-round gutters but the "drop outlets" that are cut into an aluminum K gutter are made in square, oval and round.

The reason rectangular shapes are so commonly used for gutters and downspouts is that they carry more volume for the sizes typically used. Make sure the gutter has been properly sized for the roof area and your climate and that the smaller round downspouts will not slow water flow in the gutters.

o

We have copper gutters on the front and sides of our home, but K-style on the back due to water load from roof -- two gutter companies and our GC said we would regret half-round gutters on the back because it wouldn't carry the needed volume. We used round downspouts all around.

fwiw, the copper turned quickly and I do love them. Thought I would hate the back, but no one but us and whoever is fishing on the lake can see so...

o

I learned today that the crimped downspouts are crimped because they help water flow and also help stabilize the downspout so it doesn't deform or crush as easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here