Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dry stacked stone on front of house and retaining wall?

Posted by soonerhouse2007 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 07 at 16:11

Has anyone here used dry stacked stone on a portion of the front of their house? I love the look and I am trying to decide on a rock that I like. Also, we have a retaining wall that runs the length of our house in the front. I think the rock on the house and the retaining wall should be the same rock...I think it would just look nicer. The retaining wall will actually face our house, not out to the road. DH says that in order to get a sturdy wall we should have a concrete wall poured and then face it with the rocks. And he continues to say that using the dry stack method would be very costly. Any ideas, pictures or opinions on dry stacked stone and retaining walls would be very appreciated. Thanks to you all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dry stacked stone on front of house and retaining wall?

I thought about the dry stack for our rock work, but I was told by multiple sources that it can cost almost twice as much because of the amount of materials and labor.
I love how it looks, though. If I were you, I would get an estimate both ways for the whole project and go with the dry stack if you feel it's affordable. I don't know about your retaining wall. It sounds to me like it would be better to have the rock work all the same, but it might depend on how it's positioned, how far it is from the house, etc.

o

My problem with dry stacked for a veneer on a house is rodents and snakes and bugs living in the wall and without mortar water can enter compromising the structural integrity. Especially if you live in a freeze thaw area.
either way its a good idea to use thermadrain behind the wall on a house. It allows for drainage and makes a necessary air space to prevent the wall behind it from rotting.
Ive seen plenty of dry walls successfully built for gardens. they are lovely.

o

My husband and I currently in process of building a home. We have chosen massion rouge brick and want to use dry stack stone on sections of home. Only problem we are facing is choosing a color of dry stack. Any suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here