Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any reason to not paint soffits & fascia dark color?

Posted by BAVE (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 16:00

We're about to sign off on a very dark brown paint for our soffits and roof fascia as well as corbels. The fascia is all primed Hardie board material. Is there anything I should be concerned about if painting the soffits and fascia a very dark, near black, color? BTW, we're in the deep South with plenty of sun, heat, and humidity.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any reason to not paint soffits & fascia dark color?

Many homes in our neighborhood (central AL) have dark soffits and trim. Many used Hardi board materials. No one has had problems. We've been in our home 7 years and owned land 2 years before building.

o

Great to hear! Most homes here have white or off white trim but the GC said not to be concerned.

o

One of the reasons lighter colors are popular on houses is that they do not fade as fast as dark colors in strong sunlight. Also, the use of white on architectural detailing makes them more distinct and prominent. Brown contains some red so it sometimes fades to a soft muddy color. I would also be concerned about fungus on dark soffits in damp climates. Be sure to look at similar colors on the soffits of other houses. If the contractor has never used this color range in this manner before I would be skeptical of his advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here