Bath Feedback

kats_meow
12 years ago

Posted this on bath forum but no response. Specific bathroom questions:

This is the link to my previous bathroom thread:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg071410329876.html

Here is the new plan:

{{gwi:1472687}}

We will be doing this with Option 1 most likely.

Both master bath and bath 2 are meant to be generally handicap accessible. We don't have a current need for it but want to plan for that possibility.

The showers will not have a curb or any raised entry. The master bath shower will not have a door. Bath 2 shower will have a door. All doors into the bath are 36" doors.

A few questions:

1. I made the master bath shower a little smaller. Given the new size and the fact it will not have a door if I put both shower heads (and probably body sprays) on the same exterior wall (as shown? on the plan) will water stay in the shower? Would it be better to have one shower head on that wall (moving it a little to the right so it is closer to the corner) and then putting the other showerhead on the right exterior wall?

2. In Bath 2, we plan to add a wall and 3' pocket door between the vanities and the toilet/shower area. The width of that area would be 2'8". While I don't think we need a full ADA 5' turning radius I think that width is a bit too tight for wheelchair access. Would it be enough to add 4" width to that area (what the designer suggested) or would that still be too tight.

Comments (6)

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I am guessing you would be better off with the 2 shower heads on adjacent walls and further from your door area.

My shower is a 7' x 5' rectangle with 2 shower heads on the same 7' wall. I just turned the water on and it sprays out about 4.5' at the closest setting (you can adjust the shower head but then it sprays out beyond 5' easily.) The 4.5' doesn't account for splashing, though. If it was spraying towards an open area/door, it would definitely splash into the walkway area. (Our wall which is 5' away from the shower head does get splashed.)

Since you won't have a lip on your shower entry and no door, will all the flooring in the bathroom and shower floor be tile? all the same? If so, it might not be a huge deal to get some splashing.....

FYI - From my experience, the shower head area closest to the door is a bit drafty when the door is open. Two of my shower walls are glass 7' tall with 2' of open space above. If yours is all closed above, it might not be as much of an issue. My husband and I both tend to use the shower head furthest from the door when we are in there alone. When we shower at the same time, the heat from both showers warms the area up pretty well. Thus, it's not a big issue.... but just something for you to think about.

• kats_meow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. That is very helpful. I think I will move the showerheads so that there is one on each wall rather than two on the one wall. The bathroom will be all tile but I still prefer not to have splashing into the bathroom as much as possible.

• galore2112
    12 years ago

I don't think that you can do a curb-less shower with those dimensions.

IRC P2709.1 requires a 2 inch depth measured from the top of the drain to the floor level. However, the shower floor must not slope more than 1/2 inch per foot. Therefore you need at least 4 feet between the level surrounding floor where the shower slope starts and the drain.

Your plan shows a 7x5 ft2 shower with slopes only 3.5 ft and 2.5 ft long. You can only do that while violating the 1/2 inch per foot code requirement.

Your shower as shown is too small to be done without a curb.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Both bathroom configurations shown would require someone in a wheelchair to be able to safely stand and walk a step or two in order to use the toilet. If that is the case you are planing for, you only need room for wheelchair maneuvering and some grab bars.

If the person were to be more disabled, the toilet spaces would need to be wider (48"+) in order to allow safe transfer directly from a wheelchair to the toilet which is what the ADA assumes. The spaces they require are so large because they assume all three of the common methods of transfer.

A wheelchair usually needs at least a 48" radius to be able to turn around (assuming a skilled operator with small feet and you don't mind marking up the walls). If that is the clear dimension in front of the counter in Bath 2 (or better yet, there is an open space under the counter), it should be possible to turn around. If not, backing up and opening a door that opens inward would be virtually impossible. I can't imagine how it would be possible to add a partition and a door and still be able to access the toilet from a wheelchair but maybe it's possible.

For direct transfer there should also be room on the far wall for a 42" long grab bar that starts 12" from the back wall.

To be usable lavatories should be a certain height, have an open space underneath for knees and special insulated offset drain pipes.

Doors to bathrooms should open out in case a disabled person is blocking the door and cannot move especially if there is no window access.

The ADA requires hand held shower heads in addition to any fixed heads which greatly reduces the chance of flooding. A curbless shower will require the adjacent floor to be raised or the shower subfloor to be lowered. It is also possible to lower it more and install a recessed pan with a grate eliminating the flooding issue. I have attached some reference articles.

Here is a link that might be useful: handicapped shower archives

• suzyqtexas
    12 years ago

I have a doorless shower with a 3ft opening. The only difference is the short wall entering into the shower is angled inward slightly so that water won't splash out.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Here is a link to a site that shows the most common toilet transfer methods. The diagonal method says the width can be 36" or 48" but it is clear from the diagram that 48" is needed. They omit the less common front transfer method which can be 36" wide if in a stall with full grab bars on each side and a door facing the toilet.

Here is a link that might be useful: transfer techniques