Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sriguduri

Need help with mudroom layout

sriguduri
10 years ago

Framing has just been finished and attached is the mudroom layout. It has 2 entrances from outside - one from garage (with 2870 door), other from side porch (with 3070 door) and the pocket door leading into the living room. There is a fixed window on the left side wall (at above 6 feet level) looking onto patio in the back. As one can see, this is not a small mudroom.

We need some ideas as to how and where to lay out lockers, cubbies etc in this room. BTW, we are a family of 4 (with 2 girls aged 9 and 6) with no pets. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

How many lockers/cubbies do you want? And what is it do you not like about the layout of the six cubbies that are shown on the plans?

Or, are you looking for suggestions for details on cubby design? (i.e., how tall? whether to have open storage for shoes underneath or some kind of shoe drawers, whether to enclose the tops or leave them open, how many hooks for jackets? etc?)

You are right that the mud room is "large" but due to the various door placements, you are still pretty limited in what you can do with the room because you HAVE no choice but to to keep a "free aisle-way space" between every pair of doors. Thus, unfortunately, most of the mud-room space is necessarily "hallway".

If it is not to late to do a little bit of reframing... consider flipping the 3070 door and shifting it over as close to the garage as possible. Then you would be able to have cubbies or closed lockers lined up all along the entire right hand wall. You have nearly 12 ft there so plenty of room for a great set of cubbies/lockers. If you do that, I'd probably just do simple bench seating under the window next to the patio on the left plus a few extra coat hooks on the walls on that side of the mud room. Or, I might put a "drop zone" countertop there with a cabinet underneath for stuff like recycling bins and space above (but still under the window) for mail, family scheduling calendars etc. Or you might want to enlarge the window above the countertop a little bit to let a bit more light into the mudroom.

Other than that, about the only thing you might do other than what is shown on the diagram might be to line two sets of three or four cubbies up along either side of the double pocket doors leading to the living room and put a "drop zone" cabinet against the garage wall as you come in thru the 3070 door. If you do this, whoever uses the cubbies on the left side of the mud room will have to to deal with the space in front of their cubby being a relatively narrow "hallway". Plus you would have to stress to the carpenters installing the cubbies that there are POCKET DOORS in those walls and that they MUST NOT nail into the door pockets. (Good luck with that!)

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

Do you have a coat closet anywhere nearby? If not, I would move that side porch door over and change door swing allowing for a wall of cubbies down the right side. You may even put a small countertop area in the run somewhere for charging, dropping mail, etc. The other end, beside the garage door, I would enclose and make into a coat closet. We have a 7' x 5' coat closet off of our mudroom and I have two rows of coats hanging on the right wall and 1' deep shelving on the left that is where all the utility stuff lives... flashlights, batteries, tool boxes, sunscreen, ponchos, umbrellas, extra lightbulbs, etc. I love knowing where this stuff is and having it behind a closed door. Good luck with your build! You must be close if you are planning mudroom details.

• sriguduri
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for not posting the entire layout including the coat closet and drop zone desk which are right behind the pocket doors. Attached is the pic.

@bevangel - It's not that we don't like the 3 cubbies on each side layout but just wanted to see if there is a better one. I am going to look into moving the 3070 door closer but not sure how much it is going to add to the cost. I think 6 lockers (DW likes closed and I think open is more practical) and 6-8 cubbies is more than enough for us. Would love to get advice regarding locker height, placement of cubbies and a shoe drawer. Thank you for the caution regarding the pocket doors. BTW, ceiling height is 10ft on the first floor

@momto3kiddos - see the below pic for coat closet and drop zone desk. Framing is almost done, roof and mechanicals next week.

Thanks.

Sponsored
Metta Home
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Locally-crafted. Ethically-sourced. Thoughtfully-curated.