Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popeda

Window trim debate

popeda
11 years ago

Building our own home and want a craftsman/arts and crafts kind of feel to it without feeling like we are tryng to make an exact replica of something.

I want some window trim like that shown here:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/mallets-bay-shingle-traditional-exterior-burlington-phvw-vp~40876-Bay-Shingle-traditional-exterior-burlington

inside and outside. My father's house had something very similar. It was built in 1911 or thereabouts in a small town by the owner of the lumber yard. My DH has all the skills to do this, but he is worried about a couple of the exterior windows. Some are protected by the porch or a dormer roof, but we have three that will not be covered by porch, overhang or a dormer. He says the detail at the top (I believe it's a piece of crown that is returned on each end) will be an invitation for water create some havoc over time. The sills, slanted slightly down, won't do that, but he insists that the top detail will. We will have Hardiboard siding around the windows, then trim most likely with wood.

What have others done about this kind of period look trim on exterior windows that are unprotected by roof or porch or dormer? It would really change the feel of the front of the house imho if we didn't use the same trim details on all of the windows, but I can't really suggest we build the potential for water damage. Suggestions? Ideas? Comments?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Window trim link[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mallets-bay-shingle-traditional-exterior-burlington-phvw-vp~40876)

Comments (7)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

It would help to know something about the windows.

The easiest and most durable way to trim a window is to use a cellular PVC kit from Advanced TrimWright.

Most modern nail fin windows need a sub-sill to allow the jamb trim a place to stop and that is included in the kit.

Here is a link that might be useful: ATW

• popeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks good. No dealer in this state. I guess we need to look at the non-wood options. Might be affordable for the windows we're concerned about if not for the whole lot of them.

I don't know too much about the windows: vinyl, double-paned,energy efficient,etc. Atrium. I know, not a high-end selection, but we are definitely not the high-end project. We get a very nice house, but on a tight budget. We hope this one is our last challenge to accomplish that.

• kfhl
    11 years ago

We have a similar trim detail and they installed a small piece of white aluminum flashing on the top of our window trim (the trim is white. It slips underneath the hardiplank above the window and sits on top of the window trim - it is sort of an L shape with the upright piece of the L tucked under the siding and the bottom part of the L on top of the window trim. Best way I can describe it.

• whallyden
    11 years ago

Flashing.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Pre-formed window and door "cap flashing" is standard at the top of head trim. Factory finished aluminum is a common compromise between vinyl and more durable metals.

It is important to pay attention to the ends especially for deeper "historic" head trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: cap flshing

• popeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I understand correctly, you really would not be able to see this flashing unless you somehow looked straight down at the window trim from above since it tucks into siding? That sounds like what we need. Thanks for the help.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

What you will see is a small lip where the cap flashing hangs over the front edge of the head trim. The upper leg of this flashing should be sealed to the sheathing with self-adhering flexible flashing, then the house wrap goes over that.

The ends are where most leaks occur.

Here is a link that might be useful: historic trim