Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhouse123_gw

when should A.C be running?cabinets have ben installed..

newhouse123
10 years ago

We had our cabinets installed over a week ago and the builder is saying the ac will up and running in 2 more weeks. I am concerned about my cabinets and baseboard etc.. can they be damaged if sitting in a hot locked up house? We are In FL so you can imagine it is hot..when is the right time in the build to have the ac running? should I be concerned? thanks..

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Should have been running for a week or so before the cabinets and trim were delivered much less installed.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Should have been running for a week or so before the cabinets and trim were delivered much less installed.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

AC should be on and the house be drying out for 1-2 weeks before any finished material hits the house. That's flooring, cabinets, trim...any of that.

• newhouse123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

okay, so I spoke with my builder about this and he is saying that of the 200 + houses he has built not having the AC running at this point is not a concern and everything will be fine(we have no wood floors)......... hmm??.. well lets just hope so, Im still concerned though, after reading these posts it should of been on by now..dont know what to do at this point...

This post was edited by newhouse123 on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 17:25

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

It's OK, since builder's work typically carries a 1-year warranty (check your construction agreement). Just let you builder know that if there are any issues in the first year you will certainly be contacting him.

Good luck on your project.

• War_Eagle
    10 years ago

Newhouse.....same situation in hot humid south and we have been in our house now for two months and no problems. Custom cabinets installed several weeks before AC was on.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

You may not see problems until winter arrives, but you WILL have molding gapping, floors gapping, and other issues associated with the home drying out as winter approaches.

• Christine Holter
    2 years ago

My contractor here in Florida says he never uses AC until the CO and so our cabinets and everything else will be with no AC. Interesting !

• chispa
    2 years ago

@Christine Holter, are you doing any engineered wood floors? Those all require the AC to be running and the humidity levels at a specific range. Our low-voltage guys won't install any of their electrical components without AC.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

My contractor here in Florida says he never uses AC until the CO and so our cabinets and everything else will be with no AC. Interesting !

Well I can tell you from some of the new builds in my development here in SW FL where they didn't put the AC on until later in the process that people after they moved in were having problems with warping of anything wood. Floors, cabinets, wall trim, baseboards, doors, etc. Plus there was the issue of some moldy walls.

Your contractor is not interesting, He's cheaping out. I would insist he be running the HVAC especially this time of year here.