Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmjay_gw

Workers Peeing in Yard

EmmJay
9 years ago

Maybe I'm overreacting, but when I visited my under-construction townhome today, I was hit with a pungent urine smell in the side yard. The pavers will be installed next week, so I was taking a photo to let the builder know where the drain should go. I visit the house often and never noticed it before, but I don't usually stand there for any length of time. It's like a little alcove between the back door and garage so the workers must be using it as a urinal despite having a porta-potty just down the alley. I attached an older photo; house is almost done now, but this seems to be where they're peeing, and that area will soon be covered by pavers. Am I being unreasonable to be really pissed off that my yard smells like a cat box that's sat in the sun for a month? Won't that smell permeate up through the pavers if they don't remediate it somehow? It started raining while I was there, and the smell got even worse. I don't want to be unreasonable, but I really think the builder should make it clear to the workers that yards are not toilets and that it's disgusting and disrespectful to piss enough in a yard to make it stink like that. Yes, I fired off an email today making that clear, but I'd also love any suggestions on what to expect from them in terms of making sure that odor is gone before they lay those pavers.

Comments (70)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

That's a mess...no wonder it stinks!

When we rented the port a pot for our construction, it was cleaned and tended on a regular basis...I used it on site myself and always found it decent...I would think maintenance would be included as part of the rental.

The other thing you might consider is having it moved closer to the build site so it's more likely to be used. Earlier stages it has to be kept away, but in later stages, it could be moved closer...you might want to talk to the builder or portapot co about that.

• jkliveng
    9 years ago

Might steer them away a little if you put a big trash can there also.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I would be . . . pissed!

stupid men don't seem to care. A couple of weeks ago my daughter and I were out in my backyard in the evening. My next door neighbors (with whom I get along just fine) were entertaining. While we were sitting there, one of their guests went to the side between our houses and peed -- 4 yards away from where we were sitting. He turned around after he was done and said, Oh, I didn't see you there! Like that makes it okay -- I know they have two bathrooms in there!

I'd be furiously angry and would have . . . words with the construction supervisors. and probably more words. Gross!

This post was edited by Violet.West on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 13:11

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish I had some control over the trash cans and porta potty, but this is a townhome in a development all being done by one builder, so they control all that. The portapotty is by one end unit, and mine is the other end unit, so it's the farthest away. That area wasn't as attractive for peeing before the privacy wall went up, since it borders a popular walking/jogging/biking spot. I love the wall because it creates a cozy little sanctuary, even with the hustle and bustle nearby, but apparently it's now cozy for relieving yourself, too. There's literally a wooded area within spitting distance of the front door that would be fine for peeing, but they'd have to walk through the house to get to it because there's no front gate, so they're taking the easy route. I don't think it will be a problem anymore now that the inside toilets are working, but they still need to get rid of that disgusting mess.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Complain. Complain to the supervisor, complain to the developer, complain to the builder. Not cool!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

The site should be cleaned every day. Period.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I understand your frustration and the disgust but if I read right earlier you state you do not know this property as of yet. I would be careful of whom and how loud you complain. Legally if you do not own it the developer may be able to bar you and anyone else who is not working on the project from the site due to insurance regulations and then you will have no clue what is going on. I am not saying do not complain as this is definitely not right just be careful what you ask for......

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I am concerned that the urine has been hitting the masonry, where the odor soak in and can linger. Have you ever been down a stairwell in a public place where vagrants have urinated? Hydrogen peroxide is my go-to when my elderly cat misses the litter box and I think it should work on the wall. Vinegar might be slightly damaging to the masonry.

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They know one of the reasons we're buying through them is because they allow buyers free access to the site. I've already caught things that saved them pricey rework later, like an incorrectly placed hose bib. It still meant cutting into the block wall, but it would have been a lot messier if it was all done and painted and they realized the bib would have been nearly unusable as placed.

Supposedly they got rid of all that mess when they graded today in anticipation of the pavers tomorrow, and the builder said he didn't smell anything. I didn't stop by today because they were painting outside but will double check tomorrow. We're off to the next bone of contention anyway, as the toilet paper holder is placed across from the toilet/under a towel rack and high enough so the towel will cover it (which it does in the model, which is why I didn't noticed). Basically the toilet paper will get wet every day. The towel ring in the powder room is over the light switch and outlet so a wet towel will hang down over those. They told me I have to pay if I want them moved now, but I think it's a matter of correcting stupidity at best and a safety issue (mixing water and electricity) at worst. The toilet paper can easily go on the vanity, and there's a whole blank wall on the other side of the powder room sink.

I probably sound very nitpicky, but I plan to live there a long, long time so I want it done right. Thankfully it's almost done, so there's little chance they'll ban me now. They probably figure I'm the type to hang out in the street in front of the model complaining about the ban (and the pee).

This post was edited by EmmJay on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 18:21

• dyno
    9 years ago

Someone took a large dump in my foyer during framing stage.

Maybe it was a dog.

I still avoid that spot to this day.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

We're off to the next bone of contention anyway, as the toilet paper holder is placed across from the toilet/under a towel rack and high enough so the towel will cover it (which it does in the model, which is why I didn't noticed). Basically the toilet paper will get wet every day. The towel ring in the powder room is over the light switch and outlet so a wet towel will hang down over those. They told me I have to pay if I want them moved now, but I think it's a matter of correcting stupidity at best and a safety issue (mixing water and electricity) at worst. The toilet paper can easily go on the vanity, and there's a whole blank wall on the other side of the powder room sink.

I doubt they will see it as a safety issue. Moving them is not a 10 minute job, which is why you will have to pay. Touch up will have to be done to the paint and, depending on the paint used, it may involve painting the whole wall.

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dekeoboe at this stage they have to repaint the whole place anyway. They did an initial coat, but with all the work that was done afterward ((and the subsequent wall marking and even some damage), they said they're going to repaint the whole interior. They made some major errors, too (for example, they now have to move two cabinets and the range hood because they mounted everything too low), so those movements are small in comparison, especially with the painting not done. I know I'm picky, but it annoys me to imagine living with soggy toilet paper and a light switch covered by a wet hand towel for the 20 years because of their poor planning.

The pavers are in, but I didn't get to sniff around because the guys were busy working and I didn't want to get in their way. I plan to get out there tomorrow, but hopefully that whole mess is resolved. They were putting pavers on the stairs, too, which I didn't even know was part of the package, so it should look really nice.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

You can also move the TP holder and towel ring after you move in. It's about a 10 minute job. Half an hour if you include the time to patch it. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for them to do it.

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I started a thread on the badly placed items so I could post a photo and share more details. In the meantime, the pavers are down and I didn't noticed a smell, or at least not outside. The upstairs hallway bath reeked of pee, so I opened the toilet and it's full of piss despite not being a working toilet. What is it with my new house and pee?! The toilet in the other bathroom works but has the remnants of someone's dump. I'll spare you that photo since the pee one is bad enough. They honestly have no respect for their work space.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I can't believe you actually posted that photo. I can't believe you actually took that photo.

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago

What is their freakin problem - havent they heard of porta potties or cheap camp toilets that you can empty in an appropriate location.

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I take photos of EVERYTHING in that house. I know it seems crazy (and I can't guarantee that I'm not), but you never know when an issue will arise later where it comes in handy. Yes, I really do have one of the poop remnants in the other toilet, too. At worst, I figure it's a good warning to everyone that you should watch the building of your new home very closely if you possibly can. If they're doing things like this, they could be doing other slovenly things, like the food and trash left in the island that I mentioned in an earlier post, that could cause problems later.

The portapotty is still there, and apparently not deadly because I saw a landscaper use it the other day. I understand that it's more comfy to use a toilet in an air conditioned building, but seriously, choose one that works. And they KNOW which one works, as the poopy toilet attests.

• zkgardner
    9 years ago

You should delete that picture, it's disgusting. I think explaining that they urinated in the toilet is sufficient.

This post was edited by mrsfireman on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 15:11

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know it's disgusting, but it also shows that I'm not just being Miss Picky (i.e. water filled toilet in which one person pissed vs. an apparent piss-off with pee as the only liquid). Sorry if I offended anyone, but I hope it shows that it's a real problem...or was, since I was told today that they're not supposed to be using the toilets at all, so it's going to be taken care of. I can just imagine what those who don't like the pee photo would think of the poo one, but I hope it serves as a cautionary tale as to what can happen in your build if you're not monitoring it.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Why do you continue to employ slobs? If they don't care about urinating in inappropriate places WTF else don't they care about?

Your call but I think you are beyond retarded to keep these people around.

I am a builder/contractor and would fire anybody caught doing anything of the such. If there wasn't appropriate, or clean, facilities on site they are allowed to go someplace, at YOUR expense.

Problem is easily solved.....

SCG

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"don't think it will be a problem anymore now that the inside toilets are working, but they still need to get rid of that"disgusting mess"

They will not respect your bathroom any better, as you have since posted a picture showing that. I was going to warn about protecting your floors. They will pee all over the toilet and floor.

I think people who do this are jealous of your house and money, resentful of their jobs, and do this to disrespect you. I agree with SCG, these people would be fired right away if it were my company. There is NO excuse for such behavior. You can find worse tales here on GW of where people have found them excreting their body waste.

I would hit it with enzymes made for that. That is what pros use. You need to do that first without any other products that can interfere.

Maybe you need a black light for your final walkthru, lol. Or bring a good dog to sniff the place out for you.

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@snookums2 a black light might not be such as bad idea. I used to have one from when we were having trouble with one of cats. I have a dog that could probably sniff out that sort of thing, too, but then he'd try to remark it himself.

@southcountryguy I don't have any choice in firing them since the builder handles that and I don't own the house yet, just have it under contract. I do know they've fired contractors for some other gross things, though. They must have had some interesting things going on, as a couple of months back they posted prominent "Code of Conduct" signs near all the work sites. You'd think the rules they listed on the signs would be basic common sense, but apparently not.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Thank you EmmJay, your post convinced me that the last thing I should have installed is the toilet.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

mdln, I wish that was a solution. But this thread started because they were essentially peeing on her back step. A lack of toilet doesn't seem to matter to these guys.

• mdln
    9 years ago

amberm - sorry, never meant to imply would be a solution for OP. Was just thanking EmmJay since that post would help me.

For OP, I would suggest approaching the GC with the question of "What is causing this foul odor? Is there a sewage problem here that needs to be taken care of?"

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I confronted them with the full-on disgusting photos and they told me there was a sign instructing the workers not to use the toilets that they apparently removed. It was most likely the outside painters, so they're supposed to be having some words with them today. They left open/uneaten food inside over the weekend too, which the builder said is also not supposed to be done.

I popped into the small alcove/courtyard of the interior unit next door to peek through the window at their flooring, and phew! Another pee alcove. That one's gonna be stinky for a while since it won't have pavers. I'm so glad I live close enough to keep an eye on things. Hopefully the next door stink will be gone by the time the neighbors move in.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

mdln, I had the same thought as you, thanks for letting us know, we can not put the toilet in. But really, do I want them peeing in my toilet? Or on my step? I guess I would say, don't put in any toilets that aren't hooked up?

• mdln
    9 years ago

EmJay - Perhaps the GC should buy you a few cases of this.

@ amberm - I will be using this thread as my excuse for putting toilet in last. My GC is getting used to me saying I want things done the way I learned them on GW. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: urine odor remover

• wingirl_imisstheoldgardenweb
    9 years ago

I have one better for you. We completed our build in February of this year. During move in day, our Boston followed my husband up the attic stairs while he was putting some things up there. He came down a few minutes later and said our dog hiked his leg and peed. He NEVER pees in the house. Ever. We chalked it up to it being new smells or whatever, so he grabs some things to go back and clean it. When he came back, he said "Uh, I know why he did that. Someone POOPED IN OUR ATTIC AND COVERED IT UP WITH INSULATION." I was speechless. They'd smooshed it into the plywood flooring. He immediately called the builder and had words with him, who promised to have someone come out to clean and sanitize. No one ever came (we were not surprised given our experience with this builder). We waited 2 days then my husband cleaned it up. A few months later we found piss all over another portion of insulation. The dog had not been back up there and it was clearly done by an adult. This time he did send someone out to clean that up and add new insulation. This was all intentional as there were two port-a-potties on our lot the entire time.

Appalling as it is, it really did not surprise me. We visited our site daily because we learned early on our builder was not catching mistake after mistake his crews were making, and we always got the feeling they were irritated we were there. We would go in the evenings also after they left and clean all of their GARBAGE they were placing in the framing, half full coke cans and bottles, that would surely get drywalled over, on purpose no doubt. I'm sure we missed some. They would write obscenities in Spanish, draw dirty pictures, etc. Things you would never know if you didn't visit the site every day. And about toilets, I'm not meaning to offend anyone of Mexican descent, just quoting the plumbing contractor: "We have to hide the toilets in the closets until we're ready to install or the Mexicans will use them. And sometimes they still use them. In the closets."

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ugh, @wingirl, my experience pales by comparison! Hopefully there are no nasty surprises hiding in our walls. One toilet isn't installed yet and is randomly sitting in the family room, so I hope no one decides to use it anyway. We did get some drawings, but they were just rain turtles drawn on several of the window sills. I didn't mind those as I figured they'd add a bit of character to the house. I got photos before they were eventually covered up with framing and painted.

• CountAnjou
    9 years ago

This is what ALL men do. Your construction workers are in a hurry and they are cutting corners by urinating next to the house. It's a semi-private spot and there are likely no bushes close by. Sprinkle a box or two of baking soda on the ground PRIOR to them putting down the aggregate/pavers. This is the least of your problems. Men constructing housing for developments routinely cut corners and compromise the quality of the work, but since the homeowner can't see it, they can't complain... until it's too late. If they are insulating a wall and they run out of insulation, guess what, they just drywall over a few empty wall cavities. Don't be suprised if they have construction debris buried all over the place or are using the kitchen sink or the bathtub as a urinal. Don't think for a second that a thorough walkthrough when the job is done or the local building inspector is going to uncover most of their misdeeds. YOU NEED to watch them 24-7 if you want the job done right and the only way you will know if they are doing the job properly is if YOU KNOW how to do the job. That's why I am building my house by myself. Caveat emptor!

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The pavers are down already, so hopefully they really did clean the area like the builder said (yeah, I know, probably not, although I haven't noticed any odors lately).

I know all the horror stories about cutting corners, so I was there to check out the insulation and take photos before the drywall. I've been around for every phase from slab on up. I'm sure they're still getting away with things, but hopefully it's been minimized by my presence. The only thing I caught that I really dug my heels in on was a cracked board in the shower. I know they patch that, but I insisted on a new one anyway. It was obvious that they saw the board was cracked and just slapped in a few extra screws. Not gonna fly with me. Otherwise, things have been pretty decent, at least in terms of typical construction.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

EmmJay- just wanted to write a note of support. Of course it is normal to be concerned when contractors show such disrespect for a property you will eventually own, and I agree with snookums that their behavior may be motivated by a dissatisfaction with their jobs and such- no reason to take it out on someone they don't know.
    Our plumber refused to install toilets until the end stages of the interior work for reasons mentioned above. But, in our last home, one of our first experiences was calling a plumber to remove the shards of cloth and paper from the pipe that ran from the hall half-bath. It had been blocked, he said, intentionally.

As for pictures, the only one I found was a marijuana plant drawing on the laundry room floor:/ It was very well executed however:)

This post was edited by musicgal on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 18:09

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Too funny with the pot plant drawing! Our turtles were obviously drawn by workers with varying degrees of artistic talent. One was extremely well done, and the others were more rudimentary. I'm glad I got photos of them as it will always remind me that our house has a little hidden character.

The toilets were clean when I visited today, so hopefully there's nothing nasty still lurking somewhere (or if there is, hopefully I'll never notice it). Sometimes I wonder if it's better to be a more hands-off buyer in the "what you don't know won't hurt you" category, but I'm too much of a Type A personality for that.

This post was edited by EmmJay on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 20:02

• robin0919
    9 years ago

CA....you must not have inspectors in your area. Insulation is 'always' inspected after installing in most areas.

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe the builder said we have insulation inspections here too. I think he mentioned that when we did the pre drywall meeting, right before the insulation went in. Of course I went back and inspected it myself, so the only areas I can't vouch for are a few attic areas that weren't visible.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Well, maybe the inspector had to go when he was up there.

That we even need these threads is a sad state of affairs.

• CountAnjou
    9 years ago

As of 2004 here in Pennsylvania, multiple building inspections are mandatory for each construction phase. A co-worker recently did some wiring by themselves and thankfully paid the $500 inpsection fee because they wanted to make sure they had done everything properly and weren't going to burn down the house. The electrical inspector was onsite shooting the bull for 30 minutes and he signed off on the work that had been done, most of which was in the attic, without ever having looked in the attic. The building inspectors are former construction workers. If they did a subpar job when they were doing the work themselves, they are going to accept subpar work when they inspect it, particularly if it's one of their buddies. THAT is the problem.

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's always my fear with the county inspections. My builder has a process through which their own inspectors come in at certain stages, too. I know there's no guarantee that they're any more thorough than the county, but at least it's potentially another pair of eyes. I considered hiring my own pre-drywall inspector but decided against it since we've been watching things so closely ourselves. I do plan to hire an inspector at the 10 month mark after closing, when defects have had a little while to show themselves, prior to the final warranty work. I thought about hiring someone pre-closing, but I think our own list is pretty comprehensive already and the builder caught some things that are being corrected now, too. I'm just glad there hasn't been anything too major. The cracked shower board, incorrectly placed hose bib and the cooktop hood were probably the worst.

• wingirl_imisstheoldgardenweb
    9 years ago

Our build actually had each stage inspected - supposedly. However the inspection is only as good as the person performing it. The whole reason the pee was found in our attic is because my husband was up there measuring the blown insulation over the bonus room, which wasn't holding temp well (I know they are notorious for this but we paid for extra). He measured 4" over most of it, we'd paid for 18"! When they came to correct the mistake, the guy said he'd found it was only 1" in some places. He said he knew the guy who did our job, and he's done this to people before and won't have a job after this.

We'll never know if they actually fired him. But you have to wonder why wasn't this caught in inspection. As far as hiring our own inspector, the builder said he wouldn't be liable for anything found unless it was a "licensed engineer" because all of his crew are licensed professionals in their jobs. Some professionals they turned out to be! That should have been a red flag.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

When I give a bid to a customer, I assume that I'll be able to use the customer's floor, electricity, water, and facilities. If the customer has any objection to my use of any of these, fine, I'll revise my bid to reflect the cost of my having to leave the job site to go pee at a gas station or cover their delicate carpet before walking on it. Customers don't get to have it both ways and it appears this builder is trying to. HIs subs have bid the job expecting clean facilities, not having to leave to relieve. The builder is trying to make/save money by not providing adequate/clean facilities for which he has contracted.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"This is what ALL men do."

CountAnjou:

You realize this is incredibly sexist, don't you?

And a violation of the GW Terms of Service:

"You agree not to send via the GardenWeb Network or post on forums or any other place on the GardenWeb Network any message or material of any kind or nature that is unlawful, harassing, libelous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, inaccurate or otherwise objectionable materialâ¦"

• CountAnjou
    9 years ago

@Trebuchet: There is NOTHING sexist in my comment, nor is it "unlawful, harassing, libelous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, inaccurate or otherwise objectionable material". It is commmon practice for male children to be taught to urinate in any convenient, semi-secluded spot. This practice is continued into adulthood. I am a male commenting on typical male behavior. I would presume that similar training is not provided to women, but I have no idea whether that is the case or not.

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

Sometimes I wonder if it's better to be a more hands-off buyer in the "what you don't know won't hurt you" category

I'm thinking this is the case! :)

It's just pee. Sure it seems disgusting that they peed on your house, but it's outside. It'll go away. Animals pee all over the place outside. The forest doesn't smell like a sewer. Humans are just animals. There isn't anything special about our urine.

And then they peed in your toilet? Ummm ... isn't that what toilets are for? I'm sure when you have guests over to your house that you let them use the toilet. Is their pee cleaner than the worker's pee? At least with the worker's, someone else will clean the bathroom before you take possession. If your guests splash outside of the toilet, you're left cleaning it up.

If you weren't visiting the site, these things would have happened and you wouldn't have known. You'd get your nice clean house in the end and you'd be happy and your health wouldn't suffer because there had been urine in the vicinity at some point in the past.

• sbdesign
    9 years ago

greg_2010, the pee was in a non-working toilet. What if homeowners were to use the non-working toilets in show homes and display rooms?

As for where women are taught to pee...appropriate facilities only, unless you have a horse. Then peeing in the stall (behind your horse if other people are about) is SOP.

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@greg, I don't care that they peed in the toilet. I care that they chose a toilet that wasn't working, even though there was also a working toilet in the house, and then peed in the non-working one repeatedly. It was bad enough to make that whole bathroom stink, even with the toilet closed, which is why I even noticed it. Yes, guests can pee in my home in a working toilet, No, they are not welcome to pee in something that doesn't flush, and certainly not to do so repeatedly.

This post was edited by EmmJay on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 16:38

• sbdesign
    9 years ago

I don't buy the suggestion that we should all simply accept that all men do this. Does this mean they would do it at a friend's house? Pee against their exterior walls? Use their attic? I don't think so.

I've heard tales of what some people will do in even 5 star hotels, especially when drinking. Workers have to regularly clean the sinks and bathroom floors during events when even wealthy patrons use whatever is close by rather than wait their turn.

It's all in the anonymity. Some people will do amazing things providing there is no danger of being caught. Perhaps webcams should be installed everywhere but designated, working bathrooms or porty-potties? (They also make phony cameras to make people *think* they're under surveillance...)

• mdln
    9 years ago

@ wingirl - same thing happened to me. Was supposed to get 4'' of spray foam insulation - so none of the 4'' of the 2x4'' should be visible. Pic shows areas missing much nore than 1'' (1'' wide blue tape). My village bldg inspector said, ''passes no one with spray foam insulation on first inspection as all (he's seen) underspray.''

OP - sorry to get so off-topic.

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

By 'non-working' toilet, I assume you mean that the waste is hooked up, just not the water supply. It's not just a toilet that's sitting in the middle of the living room, right?
    While disgusting if you happen upon it, my point is that it won't have any long term affect on your house once you move in. That toilet will be flushed and cleaned before you take possession.

Peeing in the attic ... is wrong.
    Peeing outside on your house ... is inconsiderate but ultimately harmless.
    Peeing in a non-functioning toilet ... is disgusting but ultimately harmless.
    Peeing in a functioning toilet ... is fine.

• EmmJay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, it was hooked but not working at the time. There actually was one in the living room, too, but thankfully they didn't use it and all are hooked up now because closing is in two weeks. They really make themselves at home! The fridge is running, so they have a nice bagged ice stash In there and they must use the water dispense a lot because it's been dripped every time I stop by. As long as they don't try to pee on the fridge, I'm fine with it.