Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khoene

Vote: Doors or No Doors from kids bedrooms to Jack N Jill closet

khoene
9 years ago

Hi all,
We are building a Jack N Jill bathroom and Jack N Jill closet between the bedrooms for my 2 girls (6 and 5). We wanted to do a Jack N Jill closet because they share clothes. There will be a pocket door between their bathroom and closet so they can go from one to the other directly. We've gone back and forth on whether or not we should have a door directly from their bedrooms to the closet. The below picture shows door openings, but we could wall off those openings. No door would save $ and give more closet space, but the girls would have to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet. A door would grant easier access to the closet but we'd lose the closet space in the doorway and would be another door in their rooms. Please give us opinions on door or no door. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• rita_70
    9 years ago

I would do doors from the rooms and wouldn't from the bathroom (can use this space for storage for both bathroom and closet and save $$ on the door).

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

I agree with Rita.
    (Plus, you should consider some other door than inswing for your toilet room for safety).

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Doors, yes. Pocket door to toilet area.

Just because they are both the same gender does not mean that girl Right will want to take a bath right in front of girl Left.

Plus if the rooms are ever used by people of different genders, or one is used for an occasional guest, you have a problem.

• bird_lover66
    9 years ago

Well, if you can afford that setup, I would plan on the girls each having their own clothes, and simply borrowing if the other sister is ok with it. Having five daughters, I know all about sharing rooms, closets, clothes, bathrooms, etc.

For example, my first two were fifteen months apart and were best friends through high school (in the same grade.) However, the younger one was a slob and older onewasn't, and they had different tastes in clothes. The younger was careless with the other's clothes. Her sister would have hated to have to share everything with her.

My point is that I would give them each their own closet, since they will likely want to have their own clothes, anyway. Then, they can learn to ask to borrow an item.

I also wonder why you are including a tub and shower in a children's bath? Even though the bathroom is a nice size, I believe it will feel cramped. I think I would give each child her own vanity and toilet, and include a shower/tub combination in a separate middle room.

And, when your kids are teens, you might regret giving them their own doors to the outside! :)

• avossohouse
    9 years ago

I agree with bird. Two separate closets. Also would, switch one vanity with the linen location. The closets are large enough that space lost to doors shouldn't be an issue.
    Even best friends that share everything need some of their own space.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I like the idea of one closet. If it becomes an issue later, it would be pretty easy to put up a wall. But in the mean time, if they have different styles, maybe one of them will have more clothes than the other, and you can share the space more flexibility.

I would say no door between the bathroom and closet, though. I wouldn't want my sister walking through while I'm in the tub so she can get to her closet. I'd want doors on either end of the bathroom and closet, too. Their music tastes may be different, and they'll want to close their doors from each other once in a while.

• caben15
    9 years ago

Firstly, your hand sketch doesn't show proportions correctly. An alcove tub is 30" deep. Beyond that you'll need some extra space for the little strip of wall between the tub and the door casing. Then there's door casing, the door itself, an acceptably wide walkway (probably at least 36"), casing on the other side, the gap between the casing and the face frame of the cabinets, and the cabinets. This adds up to at least 8' of depth to the room. You should reconcile this with your roofline/downstairs etc. to make sure it'll still work.

Secondly, have you considered having two separate vanity areas - one attached to each bedroom, perhaps even open to the bedroom, with a shared bath/wc area splitting them. You could do a shower-over-the-tub config (they're just kids). And then yes also split the closets.

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

That rough sketch has potential for two bathrooms and two seperate closets. The set up as yu have it is odd- too linear. Why have a seperate shower and bathtub? If you look at that whole area it is a large square, seperate it into 4 squares and there you go. It will increase the value of your home.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

No doors for the closet. Kids don't close them anyway.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Really dislike this design from a practical standpoint. It's conflict inducing when it doesn't need to be. And, as others have pointed out, there seems to be a disconnect with understanding minimum sizes and clearances needed.

You really need a professional on board here. Hire an architect.