Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyte

Building through the winter?

tammyte
10 years ago

We have the plans almost complete. We live in central Indiana. Do we try to get the basement in and house framed/dried in with siding and roof before winter or do we wait till Spring?

What happens if it isn't completely closed in and rain/snow comes? Will we end up with mold problems?

Comments (9)

• User
    10 years ago

It's only August so there should be no problem if appropriate materials are used and the builder is competent.

• rrah
    10 years ago

I am a fellow Hoosier. If the house is framed, with roof and siding in place, dried in, it should not be a problem.

I've seen plenty of houses go up at all stages throughout the winter with rain and snow--no mold problems. I've even seen foundations poured during the winter months. It requires some extra effort at times, but it's done. I'm wondering why work cannot continue during the winter?

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

Here in MN we were told they build year round. It is cheaper to pour concrete in warmer months (saves on additives and heaters).

Houses get rained/snowed on during construction. It's normal. I think with snow they have to shovel the inside of the house.

I suspect it might be somewhat more expensive to build over the winter because they need to heat the house.

Something else to check for: you might want to see if there are seasonal road weight restrictions that could impact building in the spring. Up here in the spring there's a period when the thaw is incomplete when they have weight restrictions that make it hard to get concrete and rock delivered. The restrictions typically last about 6 weeks.

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. We do plan to continue to build through the winter, I was just concerned about getting it to the dry in stage before bad weather hit was all.

Ideally the concrete work would be done before winter so no extra charges. I don't think there are any road restrictions as it's pretty rural.

Reno8 - As for the builder being competent...We are planning to do the GC ourselves so I would love to know anything that should be done during the winter to prevent problems.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

We broke ground the beginning of November and had the framing done by the beginning of Jan (we are in Canada). We did have to endure a week or so of a tarp overhead that made a terrific noise (we were living in it as it was an addition/remodel). We did have some snow and rain come in, and I can remember once shoveling snow out. The concrete did cost a premium due to winter pricing. The best part of the timing was subs were readily available (we are GCing the job too). Expect if you GC the job for the whole project to take waaaaay longer than if you get a builder. No matter when you start, I would expect you would be building in the winter as it will likely take at least a year.

Good luck.

Carol

• tammyte
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carol. I appreciate the insight.

• Brian_Knight
    10 years ago

Not sure if you have any going for your plans but Passive solar design can be a huge advantage during winter construction. Weve had homes stay above 50 degrees through weeks of sub freezing temps with no added heat. The heat also tends to keep things much drier which can speed the finishing of drywall, tile and hardwood floor acclimation. Worker morale is dramatically improved with the light and heat.

• worthy
    10 years ago

With the right precautions, work can proceed through the winter. (Short of blizzards and sub -20F.)

Worthy (at) work on a warm winter day

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Tammy-no advice but we will likely be in the same boat. We are in West MI with our fair share of lake effect snow.

Our hope is to break ground by October with the goal to get it poured, framed and roofed, windows in before the snow flies.

We are also GCing - crossing fingers that it may be easier to secure contractors in the fall/winter vs. spring/summer. Good luck to you also!