Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gogiantsfan29

Time Frame and cost

gogiantsfan29
9 years ago

Hi. We are GCing our house ourselves. So far it has been going very well. The framing should be done this week. We are building a 4000sq foot home not including 1200 sq foot garage and unfinished apartment over the garage. We also have a full walk out basement that will go unfinished. I figure by the end of August we should have the house closed up roof, siding, stone all on and the plumber should be finished up with his rough plumbing. Trying to figure if we are on pace to finish before or after the holiday's. Any thoughts from anyone from the time the house we closed up till the time you moved in?

Also, cost.. We are paying as we are going here to build. I am trying to figure out after the house is closed up sided, stone, roof and site work done what % of the total house cost that should be.. 50%? Any thoughts?

Thanks..

Comments (14)

• User
    9 years ago

You've still got 80% of the build left to go, both in time and money.

• gogiantsfan29
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hollysprings.. i hope you are wrong.. otherwise I would be broke:)

• housebuilder14
    9 years ago

giantsfan - i assume you have a budget and bid out costs prior to starting the project. are you on track re: budget?

• gogiantsfan29
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Housebulider - I wish we did.. But we did not.. I am flying by the seat of my pants and have no idea where this number is going to end up. My husband is an engineer and GC commercial buildings also. All our friends are contractors in some shape or form. So its killing me as we are just paying as we going... Clear the land xxx amount. site work xxx, foundation and slabs..xxx.. septic and well xxx.. framer xxx .. lumber prices xxx..
    I am working on this full time - getting 3 different prices for siding, roofing, doors, plumbing fixtures etc.... I currently have bids for HVAC, electric and plumbing. Beyond that I have nothing. I have a total budget I don't want to go over but have no idea at this point in time how to figure out where I will be.. Way too stressful....

• millworkman
    9 years ago

You my friend are in trouble as Holly is probably about dead-on. I would have thought you had 66 - 75% left myself. interior fit-out and finishing is definitely more than the shell and finishing the shell.

• gogiantsfan29
    Original Author
    9 years ago

just wonderful.. thanks for the follow - up. I will be sure to come back and let everyone know what not do when building a house...

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Once you get quotes worked out for cabinets, counters, flooring, HVAC, electrical (fixtures and labour), plumbing fixtures and any necessary re-grading, landscaping, etc you will start to have a better idea on pricing as these (in addition to the ones you have already done were the biggest ones in our in progress build). I assume you have already paid for your windows and exterior doors (as that is big $$$ too).

You may need to watch very carefully your cabinet choices (think Ikea or other RTA) and flooring (wood look vinyl can be nice) and don't discount laminate for counters.

Carol

• gogiantsfan29
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OntarioMom.. Working on all those quotes now. Yes, our biggest numbers have been the lumber, framer, windows and foundation and site work.. we had lots of rock that had to be hammered out. With us GCing ourselves we are saving some there.. Our builder friends said we are about 1/3 of our expenses done.. We will see.. Hopefully in a couple weeks I have all the other major numbers inside and can see where I am at.
    I was looking at Kitchen and Bathroom cabinets today and everyone wants to know what my budget is.. I don't have one.. just a budget for the big project so I somehow have to translate that to the small things and figure this out..

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

We are alos GCing our build and some DIY too (brutal). We saved quite a bit on our cabinet order by ordering RTA cabinets from Scherr's. We could have saved even more if we had done Ikea, but I was not in love with Ikea doors. Good luck figuring out the numbers.

Carol

• gogiantsfan29
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will have to look at those cabinets. I only have prices out Kemper so far . waiting on Omega quote. But, I did not think the price was bad at 12k.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

ck with your local cabinet builders and get quotes. You can get excellent cabinets without paying for brand name.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

OntarioMom, did you get Scherrs in Canada? Or did you have them shipped to a border town?

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

@ amberm145,

DH plans to rent a truck and drive to Scherr's in North Dakota to get the cabinets when they are ready. They also quoted for the cabinets to be shipped to a border town. I believe they would also have been willing to ship them to us in Canada, but we never got a quote for this.

Carol

• zippity1
    9 years ago

at your stage we had spent about 1/5 of our budget.....(not counting land,
    and land preparation and electricity