Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eoz3106_gw

Please critique - draft 1 of floor plan

eoz3106
13 years ago

I'd love to hear feedback on our first draft of the first floor. We feel it is pretty close, but would like some impartial input. This version is just to confirm room placement and flows, no doors or windows yet.

A little background, we are in north Houston and are going to build on 5 acres. We have 2 active boys, 4 and 6. We are debating changing the closet in the game room to face the hallway and make it a desk.

We need the second bedroom downstairs due to aging parents on both sides.

Thoughts and insight would be much appreciated. Let the fun begin!! :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7CnQ0AitfoduhCNxOZs4vBEDTcRQJc74TF5E-jrkMcU?feat=directlink

Comments (5)

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

Where's the garage? Or is it going to be detached?

• david_cary
    13 years ago

Well - I don't see the 2nd fl but maybe I'm an idiot.

I am always really negative on these things so please don't take it personally. Saying things I like just doesn't seem helpful.

Walking thru a bathroom to get to the rear porch? I see it is a pool bath but I'd like another exit.
    Pantry a little far from kitchen
    Kitchen looks like you might have too little storage space.

Dining room is small especially since it is walled on 3 sides and then stares straight into the kitchen. Because of the layout - it really isn't "formal". The mess in the kitchen is right there for everyone to see. Then if it isn't formal, it really is just a 2nd eating area that makes no sense. (the 3 tables lining up in a row really brings that home).

Kitchen - no windows. Ouch. Traffic to gameroom near fridge might be an issue.

Windows in the plan would help. Also doors - I got confused for a sec and realized there are probably doors to the office.

• eoz3106
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, no worries about tone we want honest feedback.

1. Garage will be detached
    2. No 2nd floor yet, finalizing first since that will drive 2nd.
    3. David - you are right that is a pool bath.
    4. We had talked about moving the pantry and the fridge, your comments seems to confirm our hunch.
    5. The dining room is not a formal one (we don't want a formal one). The design is that the table in the kitchen "floats". We thought about rotating the dining room 90 degrees to make it feel larger. I guess if I can't articulate the concept, maybe we need to rethink about it!

• dash3108
    13 years ago

I don't think the no windows in the kitchen is a big deal, because it's very open and I'm sure you're likely to have plenty of windows along the back wall of the family room, which will bring natural light in. My concern about the kitchen is traffic flow and distance from one counter to another. I'm just not sure it's the ideal kitchen layout. I, too, could imagine traffic issues -- the entrance to the gameroom from the kitchen just seems a little odd to me.

I think the angled linen closet near the master is a little strange. It will limit the "usability" of the closet itself, and make for a wierd angled corner in the master bedroom. Would not be my preference. Do you really need a "linen" closet there? Your master bathroom is huge with lots of cabinet space. If it were me, I would put linen "cabinets" in the bathroom. (many people use a vertical "linen cabinet" to break up the "his" and "hers" sides of the vanity.)

LOVE the huge shower in the master -- very jealous!

Seems like that will be quite the engineered beam that will be needed to span the "arch" between the kitchen and family room! That will be $$$ I would think, but I have no idea if budget is an issue for you.

The Dining Room -- okay, it does kind of seem like an odd placement for formal dining. I guess I say that because I'm assuming you're going to have windows along the left wall, and french doors onto the back porch. Think about traffic patterns. 12 feet wide isn't super wide -- and you'll probably have another piece of furniture -- buffet / sideboard / china cabinet along the right hand wall. It might be fine, but again, not where I'd put a formal dining room.

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

I think it is a good idea to have a second bedroom downstairs. My builder is currently living in a home he built that he says is not selling because there is only one bedroom downstairs. He says people are asking for two bathrooms downstairs.

I think if you're worried about aging parents, you might make it a bit more handicap accessible. At a minimum, I'd make sure the hallways to that part of the house are wide enough for a wheelchair. You might make the guest bathroom a bit bigger and make it friendlier also. A shower might be easier than a bathtub. I'd suggest levers for those doors instead of knobs.

I think the entrance to the game room would be better if it came through the dining room. You could use that closet and hall area off of the kitchen for a pantry.

I wouldn't want my master bedroom next the living room. That is definitely not a good place to put the bed.

Are you going to do anything in that area behind the master and the living room.