Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Wood cased windows--what sash material? (remodel)

Fori
9 years ago

Hi. I'm not building a whole house, just a large addition, but I'd like some advice on window style. I know people building houses have thought a lot about windows. :)

The house is a one-story '50s ranch with simple aluminum windows. Obviously we can't do that in the new part, but we'd like to keep with the concept of windows just being holes to the outdoors and being as simple as possible, so no divided lights/grilles.

We have a lot of picture windows (mostly replacements in the original part of the house) and a taller section of window/patio doors in the new part:

Interior doorways, trim, and window casings in the new parts will be done in a natural cherry (the older parts are a nice mahogany that we won't try to match). We're trying to base the new stuff on the old, but of course, the windows have to be different. The aluminum windows are sort of a non-entity; they're barely there.

So, do we do cherry interior window sashes or would it look okay to do the nice durable cheaper white fiberglass (or whatever) for the windows and exterior doors and only do the casings in natural wood? (None of these windows will be exposed to much sun or weather.)

Thanks!

Comments (3)