Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yota_85

Weathertight shell

yota_85
10 years ago

Have some bids in for my 1400 sq ft home w/400 sq ft loft (just that, a loft) from some penalized home "kit" companies, and I want to check the pricing. It seems high to me for for Northeast, NH.
To be clear, this is for weathertight shell only. No foundation, insulation, electrical or plumbing.
2X6 walls 24" oc, floor trusses 19.2" oc, 30 yr architech shingles, Anderson 400 windows & doors. No garage doors included in quote.
I have a large 38X24 attached garage. No 2nd floor above garage, just attic trusses 24" oc.

The few prices I've gotten is between $110,000 and $130,000. Kit only. The discussions I've had with contractors to "erect" the pieces is around $16-$20k. (about 2 weeks worth of work) Plus about $25K for foundation/excavation and a garage & walk out basement.

All pricing seems pretty reasonable to me (sigh), except the raw materials price for the kit. It's caused me to price some stuff up individually to see if I could make sense of it.

The Anderson 400 Windows/Doors cost $13,000, my price. That's only 9%-10% or so the cost of the kit. Priced up floor trusses w/advantech flooring at about $4.5k. So that leaves around $102,000 for 2x6 walls, roof, sheathing, shingles, siding and assembling the "panels" at the factory. Really? Not sure that's possible. (apparently it is) Delivery is extra.

I like the idea of the panelized system, but now looking at whether it's worth it, or I should just start looking into it being built by scratch. (obliviously construction cost will be more)

This is just a "shell", so should be pretty upfront to price up.
Any input?
Thanks . I thought I'd be able to do this based on $40 per sq ft, not including foundation. 1400 sq main + 912 garage + 400 loft = 2712 sq X $40 = $108,480 built, and weather tight shell. (plus basement/foundation @ $25k=$133,480) Maybe I'm not being realistic, as this has been closer in price of the Kit materials only.

This post was edited by yota_85 on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 16:35

Comments (4)

• flgargoyle
    10 years ago

Sounds high to me. My house is 1250 square feet, plus a 1250 square foot basement. I was quoted $95K for a weather tight shell in ICF, which is much more expensive than 2X6. That included excavation, foundation, roof structure, (cheap) windows, (cheap) shingles, and vinyl siding. ICF means that the walls are already insulated, but the attic insulation wasn't included.

My garage is much smaller, though, and I'm building in SC, so labor is much cheaper.

• yota_85
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Yes ICF is much more than 2x6. Your price sounds decent for a 1250 sq ft house. Do you have no loft/2nd floor? How large is your garage, and was that included in the $95k kit cost?

Labor is much cheaper where you are, but (so far) my issue is with the cost of the kit.

This post was edited by yota_85 on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 12:56

• flgargoyle
    10 years ago

No loft- we went with a full-sized walk-out basement instead. The house is simple flat ceilings, 9' 4" high. Here in the deep south, a loft would be hard to cool.

The garage is very small- 16 X 24. It is intended for one car, and nothing else. We built a 28 X 48 barn (with a big loft) first.

Before we started, we looked at various kits and modular homes. There wasn't enough savings (if any) to be worth any advantages. Our house is completely custom, to my own design. I'm doing nearly all of the work except the concrete work, stacking my own ICF, and then having the contractor pour the concrete. Even the $95K shell price was too much for us, and we wanted higher grade windows/siding/roofing. Building my own house is not cost effective, given the time it takes, but its a life-time dream of mine.

• justinjk
    10 years ago

That does seem high. I checked out WWW.value build.com and they had sip pages for under 50k for a 1,500sf ranch and 2 car garage for under 50k. price is for slab foundation and no windows doors. Siding or shingles.

Here is a link that might be useful: valubuild