Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stucco Underlayment

Posted by xavieralumni (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 07 at 14:19

I heard a rumor that stucco houses tend to be "hotter" internally than brick houses. We will be building a stucco house and hearing this statement has made me cautious since this is Louisiana. I figured that if you have the right type of underlayment & insulation, this should not happen. For those of you with stucco houses, please give some advice. We are presently deciding on what type of stucco to use (eifs or traditional). We are trying to find a balance between durability and aesthetics. In other words, we don't want to be able to punch through an exterior wall with our bare hands (eifs)but we also don't want the wavy imperfections I often see on traditional stucco jobs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stucco Underlayment

For most FL home, they put stucco over concrete blocks (aka cinder blocks).

I guess your stucco is going to be placed over wood, with something between the wood and the stucco, right?

Maybe consider using concrete block construction if that is an option in your area. It creates one sturdy home - and reduces the termite problem and mold/rot problem.

o

One of the contractors I am considering uses "Durock" as their stucco underlayment. Under the Durock is felt paper then plywood sheathing. Have you ever heard of using Durock as underlayment? I would also wonder if I could use some type of exterior insulation along with the felt paper, durock, etc.

o

I don't know if by your first sentence you mean traditional stucco or EIFS, but I will answer that question as it relates to EIFS. I am providing a link to a new government study that took place over 2-3 yrs. which compares EIFS to traditional stucco, brick and fiber cementboard sidings. It states that when comparing these sidings, EIFS is superior in energy efficiency and moisture control. This study was done in South Carolina which has a similar hot and humid climate to Louisiana.

When you mention that you don't want to be able to punch through an exterior wall with EIFS, I believe you have been misinformed about a true EIFS application. With a proper application, you should never be able to put your hand through an EIFS wall assembly.

With regard to stucco, there are many different types of applications used throughout the country including skimming over block, 3/4 to 5/8 2-3 coat scratch finish over metal lath and even stucco sprayed over chicken wire with black paper.

I think it would be wise to talk with your builder about exactly what type of stucco application and what type of EIFS application he is considering (based on what your home's substrate is). You then may be better able to make an informed decision about which exterior finish makes sense to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. Dept. of Energy's Report on EIFS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here