Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

how many ceiling fans?

phoggie
11 years ago

I am looking ahead....and wondering how many ceiling fans (if any) you are putting in your new build. I don't know if I should put them in all of the bedrooms or not. I am not a person who likes to sleep under them, but they do help move the air. Thanks

Comments (25)

• drewem
    11 years ago

In our new build we are putting ceiling fan boxes in each of the 4 bedrooms, and one in the family room. We did the same thing with the current house, but didn't actually install the fan in the 4th bedroom because we didn't use that room.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

We have six.
    One in each of the 4 bedrooms, one in the family room, and one on the back porch (it gets used the most!).

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

We had a ceiling fan in every room except bathrooms and two in the kitchen.Loved it. Wish we had it that way here too.But then where would my chandeliers go?? Now I have little =12 inch box fans in each room to use. Ceiling fan in living room and master bedroom.

• Xclusive
    11 years ago

I am located in the south (TN) and they are the norm for us. We couldn't live without them and had all 4 bedrooms pre-wired for ceiling fans plus the bonus room and great room as well. Now comes the fun part, I have to go buy 6 ceiling fans! :)

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

We wired for 3 bedrooms but not the master.
    Chinese fortune says sleeping under a fan is not good.

• Xclusive
    11 years ago

Posted by pbx2 (My Page) on Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 0:15

We wired for 3 bedrooms but not the master.
    Chinese fortune says sleeping under a fan is not good.

Well I must have bad fortune because I been sleeping under one for as long as I can remember! :)

• david_cary
    11 years ago

Me too. I personally think it should be code to install fan bracing in all the bedrooms in the South. We did all the bedrooms and the living room - but we have 3 of 4 bedrooms installed - toddler doesn't need/want a fan ... yet.

Phoggie - I forget where you are building but in the South, it would be a resale issue.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

"Chinese fortune says sleeping under a fan is not good."

Good thing I don't live in China then...

• minneapolisite
    11 years ago

One in every bedroom, plus one in my office.

• andi_k
    11 years ago

We did all bedrooms, my office (which is actually "bonus" space above the 3 car garage), the family room and the screened porch. We also did one in the kitchen....but that's bc we have a small sitting area off the kitchen. If we didn't have that, I wouldn't have one in the kitchen, personally.

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

We'll have one in every usable room- bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, living room, and 2 on the front porch. I don't if the kitchen makes sense or not, but it's easy enough to remove, or simply not use.

I have an antique Westinghouse fan made in 1909 that I would like to use. I'll rebuild it for saftey's sake.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Posted by LuAnn_in_PA (My Page) on Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 8:42
    "Chinese fortune says sleeping under a fan is not good."
    Good thing I don't live in China then...

But Feng Shui gets you globally...

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Sorry... not superstitious.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    11 years ago

One in every bedroom, the office, the library, the TV room, the great room and the breakfast nook. We run them pretty much year round whenever we're in the room. And we also have FOUR outdoor ceiling fans on our porches. Believe it or not, they make a huge difference when we want to sit outside.

All total, I think I have 12 and when we get around to finishing DH's man cave, we'll be putting two more in there.

Can't hardly have too many ceiling fans in the south!

Re Feng Shui bad luck to sleep under a fan... Since Feng Shui supposedly developed over 3000 years ago - long before electricity and electric fans - ya gotta wonder where the proscription against ceiling fans could have come from. Maybe the ancient Chinese, whose fans were probably wielded by slaves or house servants decided it was bad luck to sleep under a fan because the slave might fall asleep, drop the fan, and bonk master or mistress over the head. LOL!

All I know is, I've slept under ceiling fans pretty much all my life. So much so that I have a hard time falling asleep in a room without a ceiling fan going because it always feels stuffy to me. And I don't think I've experienced any more bad luck than the average person who avoids sleeping under ceiling fans.

• kfhl
    11 years ago

Another Florida girl here. We will have 13 ceiling fans in our new build. 2 on front porch, 2 on back porch, 2 in game room, 1 in living room, 1 in office and 1 in each bedroom. My kids and my husband claim they can't sleep without one - even in the dead of winter - which is about 40 degrees here :)

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

We pre-wired for one in each bedroom, the bonus room, sun room, family room, and office. Now I need to actually select the fans at the lighting shop on Friday. That's the hard part. I love the function of ceiling fans, but most of them just aren't pretty. The nicer ones that I'm more fond of are over $500 a piece, and I'm just not willing to spend that much right now. I think we'll be getting a lot of "builder's grade" lights and fans for now.

We're in Ohio. Not super hot but enough temperature changes that it's nice to keep the AC set at a warmer temp and rely in fans instead during those in between times.

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

We're putting in zero. Though all the bedrooms and the family room will be wired and have supports for them.

Never had one before. Always lived in old houses without overhead wiring in the bedrooms. Window fans were what we used when we didn't have air conditioning, but I have no desire to go back to those days. Plus, fans in general are ugly.

Maybe I don't know what I'm missing? Don't care enough to find out.

• DreamHomeDreamer
    11 years ago

Adding my 2 cents, maybe slightly behind on this post but wanted to throw it out there...

I have a ceiling fan in my laundry room and LOVE it. I often hang some of my nicer clothes up to dry as opposed to using the dryer or hanging them outside on a line. It dramatically increases the speed at which the clothes dry without the use of the dryer and without the possibility of bird poop on my clothes.

• arch123
    11 years ago

In Houston Texas we had 11 ceiling fans. They are great in hot and humid climates.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

Totally depends on your climate. We have A/C on in summer (in the desert NW,) but the fans still come in handy.

We have three.. one in our master for the summer months, one in the great room and one on outside patio.

I should have put one in our gym room!!

• nanj
    11 years ago

DreamHomeDesigner - your idea went in my folder! I hadn't thought of a ceiling fan in the laundry room. Thanks!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Dream home-clipped your post. Great idea.

• whallyden
    11 years ago

Zero, but most spaces are braced for it.

• rosie
    11 years ago

A few people named their climate, finally someone pointed out that the desirability of ceiling fans varies greatly by climate. Yes! Modern Feng Shui, too, no doubt, since it is a very practical discipline--are we talking freezing inland and north China or subtropical south China here?

I don't love my ceiling fans for their appearance, frankly, but living in soupy sultry Georgia I do love them. Phoggie, being able to keep the windows open as much as possible, including all night while we sleep, was important to me. The night sounds and breezes here are lovely. Sealed processed air not so much.

So for our Georgia home this meant 2 fans on our porch, 2 fans in our good-sized living room, 1 in the kitchen over my work island (blows the onion skins around good) but still close to the table, one in my sitting room, one in each bedroom. Oh, and a very powerful one on the stairwell to keep the hot air from building up above.

No fans: Our "dining room" is a central hall/library with the large table normally folded up against a wall, and it didn't feel right to have anything hanging in the middle, so none there (but our small dining/card table in the living room is close to one). I would have put one in our master bath also but wanted a chandelier at least somewhere. I'm not sorry but do feel the lack in the summer.

Does any of this survival in the deep South stuff bear any relation to your needs? :)

• Brad Edwards
    11 years ago

There are also some new low wattage fans that are cheap to operate, some that are nearly totally silent, and some that really move air.

You might want to consider researching which fans you buy because not all are made the same.

Personally I like many of the newer ones with the remote controls "think putting the control by the bed when you get up/go to sleep, many also have light dimmers". To me thats worth an extra 100$ in every bedroom, or at least living/outdoor/master especially when you consider the over all build cost.