Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jake1year_gw

Plan review

jake1year
10 years ago

Hi! I would like to hear if you guys see any problems with are house plans.

This post was edited by jake1year on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 17:16

Comments (9)

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

Large and interesting! Very impressive.

Unless I'm missing something, access to the dining room is just awful. No door or pass through from the kitchen to the dining room?

Your master toilet is quite far from your sleeping quarters. Especially the person on the "far side" of the bed. It's going to be a long way to go if you intend to grow old in this house, so be prepared for a potty at the side of the bed. :(

And do you have more bedrooms upstairs? That's a lot of square footage for "just" a three bedroom house, imo.

This post was edited by bird_lover6 on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 13:33

• jake1year
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi thanks for replay we do have 2 more bedrooms in basement with egress windows I will post later tonight. The dining room is more formal and really won't be used to often. The family meals will be in nook in great room. Do you see solution for potty? Thanks!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

From a continuity standpoint I would want the diagonal wall to continue along to include the powder room and pantry. And I agree that there should an opening closer to the pantry and the dining room from the kitchen. Their adjacency is not so good. An infrequently used dining room being remote is one thing but the pantry is another.

• jake1year
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi u guys catch everything! The pantry is probably the wrong word for it. We like to stock up like SAMs club stuff. The food will be kept in kitchen pantry area. Thanks

• jake1year
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How would we do that wall to include pantry and powder room?

• frozenelves
    10 years ago

You really should have a doorway in the lower part of the kitchen. For one, it's just easier to access instead of having to walk all the way around and it just doesn't work with the dining room, even if only used frequently. Otherwise, neat plan.

• jake1year
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the basement plan. The advice is wonderful! It's nice to have fresh eyes!

This post was edited by jake1year on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 17:17

• jake1year
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the exterior. Sorry only seem to be able to post one picture at time

This post was edited by jake1year on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 17:18

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

It is a nice plan- big and with lots of bathrooms to clean, but interesting. Here are my thoughts:
    I agree that you need to improve access to the dining room from the kitchen. Your kitchen is large enough that you can stand to lose the cabinets to put in a doorway, and the dining room isn't really a functional dining room, IMO, as it is. With a kitchen of that size and the huge storage room downstairs, I don't know why you would want/need a separate pantry.

Where are you building?

I think if you could reduce the size of the garage and add a separate structure for additional storage/gym, that would improve the look of the house. The garage roof dominates the structure as it is now. Why are the basement egress windows not visible in the front elevation? I'm not an expert, but I would expect to be able to see them. How will having those impact grading/landscaping the front yard?

I assume your kids are old enough that you aren't concerned with being able to hear them at night, or the fact that the kids in the basement could come and go without your hearing?

You have no coat closets. Is that appropriate to your climate?