Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bruce_hansen

Please review our lighting plan

Bruce Hansen
10 years ago

We will soon be wiring our new home and I am not entirely satisfied with our lighting plan. The attached plan can be summarized as: cans, cans, and more cans.

I like cans just fine but I don't believe they are the end-all and be-all of lighting. For example, we are definitely planning on changing some of the cans in the kitchen to 3 pendant lights over the island. Also, we don't need a fan in the living room, so we will be removing that.

I would be interested in creative suggestions that any of you may have to make our lighting plan a little more interesting and a little less dependent on cans. Please no comments on vents, outlets, or smoke detectors. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• dgruzew
    10 years ago

Getting rid of cans will lower your cost as well

I would get rid of the cans all together in the office , just use 1 or 2 light fixtures

lose the cans in hall between bedrooms ( you can use just a single fixture ) - there is no need for them there . I think Cans are poor at giving light in hallways anyway

add a central light over the table in the dining room table and remove 2 cans so you have a U shape of cans + pendants + a light of the table

I would probably just get rid of the cans in the living room and go with the a sinlge light fixture where the fan is.

I would actually ADD a light fixture in the center of the family room - possibly a fan if the ceinling hight was over 8 feet

• Bruce Hansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great suggestions. The family room brings up an interesting point: the ceilings are vaulted in there and, looking at the framing, I have no idea if I'll be able to reach up to any fixtures flush against that ceiling, even with a ladder.

Concerning the dining room table, we'd like to preserve some flexibility there for now, as we're not sure if we want to align it with the kitchen island or push it into the nook.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

I am constantly amazed at lighting discussions which seem to ignore the fact that there are at least three categories of lighting interior spaces:

--Ambient lighting;
    --Task lighting; and
    --Accent lighting

Major public spaces usually benefit by having a combination of all three, as you have intimated with the idea of pendant lights in one area.

Obviously, service areas seldom need all three categories of lighting, but you should think carefully about them for all your major public spaces if you want an appealing space with enough light to see where it's important to see.

Good luck with your project.

• Bruce Hansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, and I fear that's another area that this plan is lacking. There appears to be plenty of ambient lighting, but not much of anything else. What are some typical candidate areas for task lighting?

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Task lighting is appropriate wherever there is a "task" that is regularly performed. For example, kitchen counter tops (or any counter tops). A good source of task lighting for counter tops is under cabinet lighting under upper cabinets. Hobbies and special uses are good examples of work needing special lighting.

So what's needed is for you to "walk through" your plan, room by room, thinking about what you will actually do and the frequency of these uses. Task lighting is good for these sorts of functions, where ambient lighting is good for general, overall lighting of a space.

Accent lighting is valuable to create a "glow" or visually appealing feature, as opposed to ambient lighting which is usually "invisible" as a light source and provides overall illumination for a space. Accent lighting's major function is as a visually attractive design element, i.e., a light fixture over a dining table or kitchen island.

Good luck on your project!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

In a residence I first try to light the walls from the ceiling, then the task/work surfaces, then I look for special lighting opportunities. What I try to avoid is the downlighting of floor area and the tops of people's heads forcing them to work and read in their own shadows.

This plan seems to focus on lighting for housekeeping.