Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrscarrots111

Massively gouged up galvanized standing seam on new house...

mrscarrots111
10 years ago

I was hoping someone here has had experience with galavanized standing seam metal roofing and could offer advice. We are in the home stretch on construction of our new house and the roof has been installed. During the process we noticed that as the roofers moved across the galvanized surface it was being scratched or rubbed shiny. The roof is a 12/12 pitch on top of a two story and that is an install problem in and of itself...however the roof now looks horribly scarred and scratched with footprints and ladder drag marks all over the surface. our general contractor has been slightly evasive about the problem saying give it a few years and maybe it will oxidize and hide the problem...really? I now I've seen them trying different chemical applications on the worst parts, no luck and can't imagine covering 30 square of roofing with a spray bottle. Is this normal for galvanized? Did they install wrong...anything you could offer would be great as I can feel a big argument ensuing and possibly a refusal to sign a draw check coming up...

Comments (19)

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

Hmmm, I would call the manufacturer and see where that goes.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Is it galvanized steel or Galvalume? Is it painted?

• mrscarrots111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The material is galvanized steel. A site visit by the manufacturer to look at the problem was to take place Wednesday. It was Thursday when the weird chemical applications started...my assumption is the company told the installers they made a mistake by being so rough. I believe my GC will make it right, but I am wondering if this is normal with that type of finish. The installers have done a number of metal roof jobs and they have a good reputation, this is the first time they used a galvanized or traditional "tin roof" material.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

My concern would be the manufacturer told them they screwed the pooch and they are trying to mask it to get out of replacing it.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

You need to be present for the meeting so that when the manufacturer says the guys ruined it, then you know for sure who bears the blame. You can then have it replaced or if you can live with it, a credit for the cost of replacement towards something else. I don't have a lot of experience in this area but it reminds me of car insurance. Insurance compensates you and it is up to you whether or not to actual have the repair done, either way they pay.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Galvanized "burnishes" with contact (much like a matte paint finish on a wall does), which gives it dark appearing spots, which are an aesthetic issue, not a functional one (Unless they really abraded it badly enough to remove the zinc.) It was less of an appearance issue with the old fashioned S crimped agricultural roofing than it is with the standing seam which has lots of flat spots to show up that burnishing. I personally would not have picked the standing seam/galvanized combination because of the burnishing issue. A painted silver gray would be a better choice for appearance sake as it can take regular human contact much better and retain it's appearance. I only hope that whatever they are attempting here doesn't result in ruining the zinc coating on the roofing. Cold galvanizing sprays will not result in an even appearance, although they will reduce the appearance of the burnishing somewhat. Galvanized by it's very nature won't be perfectly even in appearance for long though, even if the greatest care is taken in application.

• qbryant
    10 years ago

Post up a few pics

• mrscarrots111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, here is a small sample of what's over the surface of the roof. These are in shade, when the sun hits them, it's dramatic...it is burnished just as livewireoak described with toe marks from boots scrambling up ladders. I also agree with millworkman...believe there may be arguing going on behind the scenes between roofing contractor and GC as to responsibility...

• mrscarrots111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another side of the house...

• mrscarrots111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this is basically all over everything...

• galore2112
    10 years ago

From my own experience, galvanized (decking below my concrete floors) and also galvalume sheets (I used it for siding) have a very fragile surface if one expects no marks. I have a few burnished spots on my siding that are fading over time. I'd expect the same for galvanized panels.

I guess some installers aren't used to residential projects where cosmetic flaws matter a lot?!

• millworkman
    10 years ago

After seeing pictures I am starting to think it may not be much of an issue either but I would still get something in writing form the manufacturer.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

*** DUPLICATE POST ***

This post was edited by millworkman on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 14:58

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

As I suspected, it appears to be a cosmetic issue. Unfortunately, it's 90% due to the nature of galvanized material. 10% is probably due to them not being as careful as they could be. Definately get the manufacturer involved. I'd bet that there really isn't a "solution" though other than to adjust your attitude towards it's appearance as "normal" with galvanized.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

To me the roofing in question looks more like an unfinished Galvalume coating than galvanizing.
    If that is the case, unfinished Galvalume roofs can show scuffing or darkened burnish marks if not handled carefully during installation especially where ladders are needed in order to work on adjacent side walls. The extent of protection of the finish should be spelled out in your specification.

Warning from one supplier/installer:
    "The aluminum in the Galvalume coating reacts to friction and becomes darker giving the panels a blotchy appearance. In all cases, these differences in color or shade do not change with age even though the panels may become duller due to natural weathering. Because of this issue [this supplier and installer] will not guarantee uniformity of color on bare Galvalume applications."

The standard to which you can hold your GC to is what was agreed upon in your contract specifications. What the GC can hold the installer to is what was in their contract. I suspect the manufacturer is covered by their installation instructions.

Frankly, I see discoloration but not massive gouging. If you want a uniform finish you will need to have it field painted.

PS

If it is Galvalume, the link below might be helpful. Scuffing or "footprinting" of unfinished Galvalume is such a predictable problem that US Steel makes a version with a protective acrylic coating. But is does not entirely eliminate the problem. You can't install a metal roof without climbing on it and touching it.

Here is a link that might be useful: footprinting

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 18:38

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1
    Cases and access requirements like that side wall are where a plastic film on the metal pays dividends.

It will mute with time as the panels weather but it will not go away.

• mrscarrots111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody, I appreciate your input. I think I'm willing to live with a lot of it, the footprinting not so much. I picked this roof because I wanted it to show some age and weathering. Will have to have a talk with GC, about 10 panels have footprinting on them, may ask to have them replaced...we shall see and I will let you know what happens. Oh, and windowsonwashington, the day after we mentioned the problem with the burnishing, protective plastic appeared under ladders and equipment...

• renovator8
    10 years ago

It would be interesting to know for sure if the steel roofing has been galvanized or if it has been coated with an alloy.

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

Doesn't galvanized steel need to be painted to prevent rust? (I replaced a rusted through galvanized porch roof, was told that it rusted because the previous owners hadn't kept the paint in good condition.) Painting will hide any scuffs.