Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

what are these boards called? is it a 2x2?

bridget helm
10 years ago

to mark off our breakfast room, i want a big X in a rectangle made out of these boards. what are these boards called? how should this be specified on the blue prints?

thanks!!!

https://www.houzz.com/photos/european-manor-traditional-staircase-atlanta-phvw-vp~1159265-Manor-traditional-staircase-atlanta

Here is a link that might be useful: [picture of boards on a ceiling on houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/european-manor-traditional-staircase-atlanta-phvw-vp~1159265)

Comments (8)

• worthy
    10 years ago

My guess is 1x3 or 1x4. (I'd be more impressed by a domed or vaulted ceiling.)

• worthy
    10 years ago

Duplicate.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 12:50

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Plan it with any lighting in mind: I think it would look better if the lighting fit into it more perfectly.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we will have a single chandelier in the middle. no recessed lights so that should look ok, right? one big rectangle with an x filling it in and a chandelier in the center

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

It can easily be called out on the building plan with a notation to see the ceiling plan detail and a measured detail drawing with the other details drawings for the house.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

I'd guess those boards are 1X6's rather than 1X4's. The width of each board appears to be about the same as the diameter of one of the recessed lights and for high ceilings like that, 6 inch recessed lights are much more commonly used than the smaller sizes.

While a domed or vaulted ceiling would be more impressive (as Worthy points out), this seems a nice way to add a sense of texture to a ceiling without spending an arm and a leg. It SUGGESTS a coffered ceiling but without the expense. However, if the boards are too thin in relation to their spacing, I think you could wind up with something that suggests those aluminum grids that support drop-in acoustic ceiling tiles in office buildings and schools, rather than suggesting a stately coffered ceiling.

I'm also not sure that a single big X across one big rectangle would look all that great. To me, the charm of the image you posted is in the texture created by the repeated squares...and in how that texture contrasts to the graceful swirl of the oval stair case opening that surrounds and frames the repeated squares... plus you have the rayed effect provided by the dark balusters of the staircase pointing inward at the ceiling squares. This pattern on pattern on pattern effect is quite compelling. However, you wouldn't get any of that with a single X.

Here is a single X, cropped out of the original photo. To me, it is not visually very interesting.

Plus, if your space is a rectangle that is not actually square, the boards will not meet at right angles in the middle. I think that might look really odd....especially if your plan is to hang the chandelier from the point where the two boards appear to cross. (That would be the center of the rectangle.) This is two boards would look in a non-square room. Do you see what I mean about it looking a little odd for the boards not to cross at right angles?

How large, and what shape, is the ceiling area that you're thinking of using this treatment on? Which room in the house will it be? What style and how large a chandelier are you thinking of using? And, can you tell us what is was about the ceiling treatment in the original photo that appealed to you? Perhaps there might be other options that would work better for your space.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I realize the the beauty of the picture i posted is not really ablut the ceilings as much as it is about the angke of the shot and the stairs etc. i actually think the boards littke a littke too simple for the winding stairs. but for the look we are trying to achieve, I like the rectangle "x" as you showed it.

I will post our breakfast room. In the plans there is a wood beam than has since been removed. I want to put the little x in its place. In the next post Ill show you a pic of a kitchen that is our inspiration - clean lines yet cozy at the same time.

Stay focused on the breakfast room and the ceiling, please. Many do not like this kitchen breakfast room layout - i am aware ;). But it is how it had to be in order to get all the other things i wanted in our narrow lot. I have come to terms with it. Our table is an oval pedestal and we are having a slanted back banquette made to go beneath the window. It will all work out.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one if bobby flay's kitchens. I love it. It has a cozy vibe with clean lines at the same time. We are kind of copying this look, so I thought the little x would work well in the breakfast room. We will be using the same trim on our kitchen cabinets.