Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Building a House

saoodhashim
9 years ago

Greetings!

I have recently bought a residential plot in Pakistan and it is a south facing, 50 ft x 90 ft plot. (500 sq. yrds or 4500 sq. ft) and there are houses on all sides i.e. left(west), right(east) and back(north). So the sun is going to shine either from the southern side or when it is overhead. The southern side is expected to get almost 10 hours of sun however, the eastern and western sides are not expected to get more than three hours.

As per the local regulations, I have to keep a uncovered space of 7 feet from north side, 5 feet from each of the east and west side and 13 feet from the south side. That means now I can construct a house only on an area of 40ft x 70ft. i.e. 2,800 square feet.

I am right now in the planning and designing phase of the home building. This must-things in my wish list are:

1/ I want to make it the most edible garden friendly house and for that reason I purposely chose the south facing plot. I plan to do roof top container / raised bed growing also.

2/ I want to have ample space for some chicken, goat and rabbit raising. I am planning to keep the ground floor as open so that there is enough space for the livestock.

3/ In addition, due to my family size, I would need space of 2,000 sq ft. - which all of it would come from the first floor.

4/ As per the regulations, a second floor can be constructed and therefore the 2nd floor will be the roof top of the house. The over head watertank also I intend to keep it on the north western side no sunlight is obstructed.

The help that I need from the members of the forum is if I could get any design ideas on the internet which match closely my requirements. I would be highly grateful for any input in terms of suggestions as well as web links.

Regards

Saood

Comments (4)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Don't believe you will be able to get any help here as no one I do believe is at all familiar with building a home in Pakistan.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I also wanted to add that building a house in North America, I still had trouble finding plans online. Plans were often intended for building on acreages, with no restrictions on how wide or deep you can make it. Or, if you specified a small lot, it would be TOO small. And the house didn't make great use of the available space.

There are some, found via google, that allow you to put in max/min lot sizes. But I don't remember which ones. And I found that when I put in the specs, the available plans were really limited.

And again, they'd be designed to NA building requirements, not Pakistan.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for you replies.
    I do understand that the plan that this forum can provide is going to be very NA specific.

However, what I am looking for is just ideas from NA floor plans on such plots (4000-5000 square feet) which I can then discuss with my engineers/architect.

On the internet, like amberm said I find plans for either too big plots (acres and acres) or very small (800-1000 square feet).

I tried on google but could not have much success so though may be someone with similar requirement as mine can give some ideas/links

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Try farmhouse plans and craftsman homes. Both often have porches and larger kitchens with nooks. If necessary, the porches could be removed, if you need the clearance.

And with an upstairs, you could have an extra bedroom/bath (if necessary) as well as the garden.

Sounds interesting...best of luck with the project! :)