Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burningmustard_gw

Master Bath Layout review.

burningmustard
9 years ago

I posted this in the bath forum, but I thought I would post here too since I see so many great suggestions for floor plans. I am just not sure if my thinking is on target

We are planning on turning our walk in attic into a master bath. We will be raising the ridge and adding a dormer.
I have attached a couple of floor plans and some exterior drawings, before/after.

Ideally the addition will have
*Dual vanity
*Toilet closet
*Small double shower
*Clothes Closet
*Washer/Dryer

Any feedback on layout or placement would be appreciate. It is a tight area, and trying to make the best of it.

Thanks for looking. Hope I have provided enough info.

Comments (12)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I'm going to apologize in advance that this is going to be completely negative -- and I do know it's a difficult space:

You'll walk into this space, and you'll see two sinks, three doors and a dormer (hidden behind the vanity). That doesn't strike me as attractive in the least. The shower is too narrow for comfortable use. You don't have a place for a hamper or a trash can, nor do you have any storage except under the sinks. I don't think this small space can support a toilet-in-the-closet.

You won't have any place to set laundry baskets or to fold clothes once they're washed. Will the dormer be full-height, or would you be relegated to doing laundry in a hunched position?

I think I'd consider placing the closet nearer the bedroom . . . and having two twin reach-in closets with a walkway between . . . and then put the bathroom in the square area at the end. I don't have any ideas for the washer/dryer.

• burningmustard
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply, I will take any feedback I can get. It's the reason I posted.

The house was built in 1935, the current single upstairs bathroom is about 5x7 or so. With two young daughters I need to figure something out.

About three years ago we renovated the kitchen, downstairs bath, and mud room. Enlarging the mudroom from 3x6 to 6x6 allowed us to get the washer and dryer out of the old stone basement. Which was well received, but still cramped. So we are used to tight laundry quarters.

Now, I am just trying to find the best way to use this new space, and I think I may be trying to do too much. I can't really think of a good way to use the dormer space.

The reason the bathroom was first, was for plumbing reason, but perhaps that can be adjusted. There is a small dressing room off the bedroom right now. (Small window above front door).

Thanks for the reply, and if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Why don't you just raise the whole roof and give yourself the proper space to do all this?

• burningmustard
    Original Author
    9 years ago

***Why don't you just raise the whole roof and give yourself the proper space to do all this?***

Basically to try and maintain the original look of the houseâ¦as best we can anyway. I have thought about raising the whole roof, since we will be completely rebuilding the current floor and existing roof (2x4 rafters) anyway. The area we are building over was the original garage, now a family room.

I am just fearful, it will look funny, or like an addition. But perhaps that may be the best option.

Once concern of just building up is the double bedroom window, the addition would have to be set far enough back to clear that. IâÂÂd like to keep the window. And then I am wondering if the roof pitch would arrive to high on the addition wall causing a narrow window. Not sure if I explained that right.

Thanks again for the comments.

Below is a different 3D angle of what I mean with the BR window.

• bird_lover66
    9 years ago

I, would rearrange to make this a walk through closet to the bathroom. Obviously, this is a wider space than you have, but I think your space is wide enough. I, also, think a square room bathroom has a more vintage in keeping with an older house. If you have enough height in the dormer for a countertop space, I think this laundry area would be fine.

This post was edited by bird_lover66 on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 11:17

• bird_lover66
    9 years ago

More pics

• bird_lover66
    9 years ago

More pics

{{!gwi}}

• burningmustard
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I played around with reversing the closet and and bathroom area, and attached a floor plan below.

Thanks again for any feedback

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I like those closet pictures -- very nice looking! I'd probably go with white rather than wood tone, but that's just personal taste.

I absolutely would not do the toilet closet. I dislike them, but this one appears to be very narrow; it looks like it'd be uncomfortable to scoot into that tiny room. Instead, I'd put the toilet in the corner under the window and bump the shower to the right a bit. I'd make the shower solid on the bottom /glass on the top so that the toilet would be hidden behind the wall but not shoved away into an uncomfortable position. This would also eliminate the problem of a window INSIDE the shower, which is do-able but expensive. And it would require fewer square feet, which would leave more closet space -- and who doesn't need that?

I would also reduce the vanity down to one sink so that I could include a linen closet IN the bathroom, where you actually need storage for towels and toiletries. A second sink is repetitive, but storage is always a necessity. I'd have a hamper in the lower half of the closet and shelves for towels on the upper portion.

I would move the make-up desk to the spot across from the dormer so it would be hit with some natural light.

I'd move the washer /dryer to the spot where the make-up desk now is. I'm assuming this is full-height space, so you'd be able to use the top of the machines as folding space. Then you could have clothing storage in built-in drawers in the space now allotted to the washer /dryer.

Another thought: Do you have another laundry elsewhere in the house? I'm thinking that IF the majority of the household laundry is being done elsewhere, and this is just for the master bedroom laundry, a small set might do. Could you go with stacking machines, which would allow a little space to remain for a small folding space?

This post was edited by MrsPete on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 17:35

• bird_lover66
    9 years ago

That is a very narrow water closet, and if anyone should become disabled (temporarily or permanently), he won't be able to get in there!

I'd definitely make this an open bathroom with the toilet across from the vanity under the window as Mrs. Pete suggested. I'd put a side by side washer dryer where you currently have the water closet, and I'd put the vanity area under the dormer window. I think you could do something quite lovely there - a really luxurious space with your makeup and toiletries, jewelry, scarves, etc.

If you absolutely must keep the toilet in its current location, don't make the space so deep, and ditch the door altogether for easier access and a less claustrophobic feel. It will still be a very private spot.

• laurie0714
    5 years ago
    what if you put the toilet in the dormer? you could do separate vanities opposite each other with one that has the makeup desk. your washer would have to be front load if you tuck it in so I would put them elsewhere.
Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz