Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkinsella_gw

Help with house plan

pkinsella
10 years ago

We are in the process of working on the interior of our floorplan. �The basement bedroom/bath layout is fine and the overall home works well with the land. �I'm having to use my ipad and cannot figure out how to post the image, so I hope the link at the bottom is sufficient. �The screened porch has been moved to the rear, in line with the dining room and the family room will have columns, not walls, separating it from the entry. �Only one door will open onto patio and it will be in family room, possibly off-centered closer to the kitchen. �A built-in or furniture niche will be on one of the dining room walls. �I'm going to ask that the closet beside the powder room be moved to mud room area and that the mud room be enclosed to keep it out of sight and to contain the mess. �Kitchen needs work but right now I need to focus on the master side because it was rearranged and any advice on changes would be appreciated.

We requested laundry room access from our closet, display niche in hallway, space in the bedroom for a king size bed and an oversized chaise, curbless shower, and a small room off of our bathroom since guest bedrooms are downstairs (I still at times cannot sleep with husband and a greater swiss mountain dog snooring at 3-4 am). �Worried this small retreat-type room was a silly want, I opted for the small 'office' space. �

My concerns are: �1) Adding the recessed tv built-in.to family room. �It wasn't included and we like the traffic space between bar stools and furniture. �Can it recess into the bedroom wall as planned? � 2) Master bathroom seems too big � I would rather have more space in bedroom. �3) Should the laundry room extend a few feet into closet area so I could have a bit more counter space? �4) Swap laundry room with office and go back to original master retreat area. � �

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to floorplan

Comments (17)

• renovator8
    10 years ago

access denied to link

• pkinsella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hope this works.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s106/sh/558e04f2-782f-4616-8be0-cbae18de32b2/013dad09010eb9e10655119166f3f62d?noteKey=013dad09010eb9e10655119166f3f62d&noteGuid=558e04f2-782f-4616-8be0-cbae18de32b2

The pdf was sent via email. I will try to figure out another way to open it other than Evernote. If anyone is willing, please email penneykinsella@yahoo.com and I will forward the email if you could post the image. Thanks

This post was edited by pkinsella on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 16:16

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Here you go :)
    {{gwi:1487966}}From Farmhouse plans

• lolauren
    10 years ago

I wouldn't want the shower sharing a wall with the master bedroom because of noise. There is room in the bathroom to move things around to avoid that (such as, switching the toilet room and the shower?)

• pkinsella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much lavender_lass!

Lolauren, I don't want a window on the rear wall of bathroom, unless it doesn't interfere with privacy from outdoor space. We need a seat in the shower and would like the entry angled or whatever is best for a walk-in shower. Hubby doesn't want or need a 5 ft. vanity. I would like to give a foot or two to the wall the bed is on because the family room built-in in was originally recessed into the wall. Our previous bedroom was 15 wide and we liked it.

Thanks for your suggestion. I need any advice I can get.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

I know what you mean about snoring issues in the middle of the night. :) And I like the getaway space you've planned, but I think it's too small. It's hard to tell what the actual square footage is. You could have a bed, or you could have a desk, but I don't think you could have both. Perhaps you could push that room over into your master closet area just a bit to gain some room.

I really like the placement and accessibility of the laundry room, but it's really small too. Maybe you could enlarge it towards the master closet, too?

Is the dining area big enough to use the French doors while people are seated at the table?

Maybe I missed the explanation - do you have 2 islands separating the kitchen from the family room? Why? How will they be used?

• pkinsella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ii believe the "office" is 8 x 11. Closet is 17 x 12.5. Laundry is around 7.10 x 7 (looks like 6 wide on w/d wall). Bath 17 x 12.5. Bedroom 17 x 14. Bay window will be in the office. Originally this "office" was located where the shower and toilet are. Bed was on opposite wall and br door was about 3 ft to the left. Hall niche was in same spot, as this was my request.

We will use laundry room for laundry and our cats feeding area. I wondered if moving the door to closet would help as well. Would you push both rooms into the closet? Also, wonder if moving the bed to opposite wall and moving bathroom door would allow for a recessed space in laundry room. I go with this or move rooms around. Don't know which way to go!

Dining room is 12 x 15. Should it be 14 x 15 since screened porch is now at the rear? I prefer a round table.

• pkinsella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ii believe the "office" is 8 x 11. Closet is 17 x 12.5. Laundry is around 7.10 x 7 (looks like 6 wide on w/d wall). Bath 17 x 12.5. Bedroom 17 x 14. Bay window will be in the office. Originally this "office" was located where the shower and toilet are. Bed was on opposite wall and br door was about 3 ft to the left. Hall niche was in same spot, as this was my request.

We will use laundry room for laundry and our cats feeding area. I wondered if moving the door to closet would help as well. Would you push both rooms into the closet? Also, wonder if moving the bed to opposite wall and moving bathroom door would allow for a recessed space in laundry room. I go with this or move rooms around. Don't know which way to go!

Dining room is 12 x 15. Should it be 14 x 15 since screened porch is now at the rear? I prefer a round table.

• pkinsella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitchen: Family and kids always congregate at our home and usually have 2 or 3 using the kitchen. I need elbow room, so we decided to have no breakfast nook and two islands. I don't need a peninsula. Our inspiration photos of a kitchen/dining/family room layout has peninsulas. Hubby thinks we should keep one and shrink the center island. This is the photo they ran with:
    http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/photo-gallery-house-plan-26602gg.asp#91ca1fed-626f-4815-ad05-10535a7cd8cb

• kira5817
    10 years ago

What a well thought out plan! Flows beautifully. Congrats!

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Like it! Two questions:

Could you flip the master bath and master bedroom? The purpose: it would put the bedroom on the corner so that you could have windows on two sides, which is much nicer. And it would separate the bedroom from the living room, which will take care of any noise problems.

What is a Christmas closet?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Christmas closet...what a great idea! My mom would love to have one of those :)

• pkinsella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The master side would have been easier if I kept the 'spare-retreat' room private. Five or so yrs ago I decided to connect ldy to closet, have a retreat type space, 2 islands, accessible shower, wide doorways, all clothing in one lg closet off of bathroom, powder rm close to kitchen, no steps from garage to mudroom (garage is being somehow raised...builder and husband messing with driveway/garage stuff), and walkout or daylight basement at side of house so we never see a flight of stairs outside. Property gradually slopes towards back and side. A shop is already built on the walkout side with its own access from road.

I know all of this could seem too much but I have bad vision and hub has stiff knees so I need good pathways/placements if these get worse. We are not sure about 1or 2 steps down to patio vs a wheelchair type access but that can always be addressed later if needed. Sorry I wrote so much but it could clarify some floorplan questions.

Basement starts next week so I have to make some main floor decisions now. Getting light into basement bedrooms and what I call a den area consumed my mental energy. I knew I could do better than they were arranging, so I put a side sitting area in one br for windows and said "how about this". Was difficult but works. Now den is 13 wide, bedrm 12 wide and another has about 9 wide sitting area for windows. The image I will post Is before the basement bath and bar area was reworked, but I found a way to keep our back patio accessible by no rear walkout. Even my dog will thank me for this.

Ps. I previously had a closet deeper on one side and it was purfect for xmas storage. I loved the ease of use. Kept vacuum in there and had room for a coat bar to boot. It was really quite multi-functional. If given a choice, I'd take a closet in a hall over one by the front entry.

• pkinsella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MrsPete, I am going to look at if this can do done but I think hub would balk at bedroom entry any further away from kitchen.

Before plan was reversed and hall/bath/windows tweeked...

{{gwi:1487967}}

• lyfia
    10 years ago

What are the aisle spaces in the kitchen? It looks like they are too tight for more than one person to be in the space at one time. Ie if another wants to walk by then the other have to move out of the way. 36" is a one person space, 42" is minimum space you want for two people, but can still feel tight depending on size of people. 48" is ideal.

• pkinsella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lyfia,

Looks ridiculous doesn't it. Seems like the person helping us (works with our builder) hurridly threw objects in the space. Peninsula I'm balking on. The counter protruding into the family room to me looks as if soffit needs to extend outward as well, but I know nothing about lighting placement. 31/2 ft between center island and cooktop wall is okay for me as long as there's ample room around the sides. Without peninsula I imagined prep sink on perimeter island, cooktop w/countertop trash bin & cutting board on center one, and sink on wall under windows--last home had cooktop on peninsula & was surprised how I grew to like it..no wall to clean and sink contained splashing--but cooktop on wall works too. Need advice about which is better. I imagined a coffee area on the wall close to prep sink and hoped to keep microwave close by for reheating. This keeps others out of my space or vice versa.

With kitchen 15 deep I'm wondering how deep islands should be. Frig wall needs arranging and since we aren't keeping stairs in garage wondering if butting pantry into garage would be better since mudroom will be enclosed and doorway might be on other side of frig.

{{gwi:1487968}}

• pkinsella
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would you keep the peninsula or do you feel it blocks off traffic path?