Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris11895

Lighting Design?

chris11895
11 years ago

I posted this in the lighting forum too, but haven't gotten any responses...

Has anyone here used a lighting designer for their new build? Or did you just rely on the architect? Our electrician said he thought lighting designers do more detailed and thought out plans. I thought I'd see if others on here have done this and if so, did you have a good or bad experience?

Thanks in advance for any input/advice!

Christine

Comments (6)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We purchased all our lights from one lighting store ...and for such a big order, they sent out their lighting designer to our house to help with the design for free...we had the architect there at the same time so they communicated and came up with a decent plan...I had already had a few fixture in mind prior to the meeting based on books the lighting store had given me. Only thing is I ended up adding even more lighting to the library as it still was too dark for me when the room was painted and furnished.

• PRO
    luminous nw
    11 years ago

As an independent lighting designer, I can tell you that most of us will definitely provide more detailed, personalized lighting plans. Compared to architects and in-store designers, we also usually have a better understanding of light and how it works, not just "where to put what". This information and experience can dramatically change the environment you live in!

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

I know this is regional (isn't everything) but how much does a lighting designer cost?

(I'm in California, so everything tends to be at the upper end of the cost range).

• PRO
    luminous nw
    11 years ago

Depending on your area, the size of your new-build, and the complexity you are wanting in your lighting plan, the total cost could be from $500 to $5,000.

Ask your architect or electrician (or other architects and electricians) for a recommendation. Most architects don't specialize in lighting and are willing to admit so and work with someone who does.

You can always look on the American Lighting Association or Illumination Engineering Society of America's website to look up local "certified" designers, though that also means that with their experience comes a higher cost.

Best of luck! If you can find someone who will fit in your budget, it is ABSOLUTELY worth it!

• chris11895
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input! We're in Massachusetts and were quoted around $2500 for a house a little under 4000 sf. If we buy that amount from the store then it's free. The reason I was questioning it s because I've heard some of the places around here (in and around Boston) put a serious hard sell on using all of their lightng and drive the end cost up.

• PRO
    luminous nw
    11 years ago

The reason the stores can offer that lighting design service is because they expect to earn their money on selling lights to you. The designer is coming to you with the intent on using their store's lights whenever possible.

An independent designer might charge you the same amount or more, but all your fixtures will be customized to you and you will be able to purchase them wherever you like.

As I mentioned before, not all in-store designers have the training and experience that an independent designer would have, so you have to factor in the quality of design work that you will get as well.