Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House plan choice

Posted by theballs (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 11:50

Hi everyone. My sister and her husband have three children and are planning on building. The lot is 7 acres, and the building site is as flat as it can be. It is part of a farm, so nice fields of grass, some trees, just pretty in general. These two plans are at the top of the list. At some point, they will have a pool in the backyard, and just in general will spend a lot of time outside. I would appreciate any comments on either plan.

I love that this plan has 4 bed and 3 bath. My only real concern is that the feel of the house (sort of Mediterranean-ish) might not fit in the middle of a farm setting. Not sure if that matters though, they will likely be living here for a long time and would enjoy looking at it every day.

http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/hwepl02817.html?from=search

I also love this plan. There is an upstairs bonus area that I think could be turned into another bed/bathroom. This one seems to fit the landscape a bit better, plus, IMO, is just cute in general. I have suggested turning the screen breezeway into an insulated part of the house, and making it the laundry/mud room, and having a bonus area above the garage that is also accessible from the breezeway, also maybe fitting in a small half bath that would be accessible from backyard pool area.

http://www.houseplans.com/plan/1698-square-feet-3-bedrooms-2-5-bathroom-cottage-house-plans-2-garage-34317

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House plan choice

Are they going to be "farmers"? (ie, will they be coming home dirty and need a very utilitarian utility room? I don't see that on either of these plans.)

And, with 7 acres, I'd be looking for a detached garage plan, or at least one that doesn't have it at the front of the house/taking up 1/2 of the front facade...

Maybe something like this:
http://www.houseplans.com/plan/2336-square-feet-4-bedrooms-2-5-bathroom-country-house-plans-2-garage-32568

o

Aside from mowing and maybe a garden at some point, no, they will not be doing any farming, no livestock, nothing like that.

the garage issue is one reason i liked the second plan, the garage is more detached, and looks like it could be easily altered for rear entry.

o

Everything about kirkhall's plan is better, IMO.

The first house: garage is too small, the laundry in the garage entry is very inconvenient, the family room has so many walkways that there's hardly room left for furniture. There is not closet in the foyer, and the master closet has a lot of wasted space. The kitchen is loaded with problems, many centered around the location of the range.

The second is better. I don't care for the powder room right next to dining and kitchen; same issues with furniture placement in the family room; only one tiny closet (between kitchen and dining) for coats and shoes for family and guests. The garage placement as shown is terrible, with that sharp corner at the front (next to the breezeway).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here