Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Anyone put this type of shower in

chloenkitty
9 years ago

In our build, my husband really wants an all glass shower. We told our builder this from the beginning and went in the bathroom the other day and it was not like this at all. He proceeded to say how expensive all glass like this would be, like $5,000. I don't know if that's true or he just doesn't want to do it. Does anyone have or know someone with all glass like this? Our tub set up will be similar to pic as well. If anyone is aware of cost or a good place online, please let me know. Thanks a bunch.

Comments (9)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I answered your other post in the bathroom forum.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I have been quoted $2k for just the front part, for a 5' long shower. The return would probably be another $1k. Builders add their own profit on to of that, so $5k isn't really all that unreasonable to me.

Another factor (and the reason I decided against a shower like this) is the cost of the tub deck material. That one looks like tile, which would be no issue. But I wanted quartz. Getting a piece of quartz that was all one piece would have been close to $3k. If you're already getting the quartz around the tub, getting a piece that's bigger might be an extra $1k. Or, if it's already installed, that would be the $2k he's already spent, PLUS the $3k for a new one.

• carra
    9 years ago

This is my shower - the cost for the glass was $1200.

• stefsims
    9 years ago

I think the cost you were quoted is a tad high, but I would definitely go with full glass (like your picture). Much better look! I've seen the other option, and there is a big difference in the overall look.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I stated in the other thread on the bath forum that without know the particulars it is tough to say for certain. Where is the home being build? What type of glass? What thickness of glass? What finish and type of hardware? 5k is probably very close, I would say about the high point but very close.

• kas4
    9 years ago

We remodeled our master bath last year and our shower looks just like the picture you posted. Our glass enclosure was $3500 for 3/8" glass with Shower Guard. I believe the Shower Guard was about $800 so without that it would have been $2700. Custom work done by a local glass shop. We got estimates as high as $5K including the Shower Guard.

• aam31
    9 years ago

$3800 is about where we were for a 6x4 shower, however over $1000 of that was labor. They charge per glass panel locally, and we happen to have 4.

• galore2112
    9 years ago

I typically buy glass for showers (for myself and friends/family) directly from a glass fabricator. They take CAD drawings and ship the glass after a few days.

I buy glass hardware usually from CRL.

A shower like the one from the picture is approx. $700 in materials. Easy to install if the measurements are correct. If measurements are wrong, it's a total loss (all risk is with me but it is so much cheaper that it is worth it) because re-work is virtually impossible (tempered glass).

• musicgal
    9 years ago

kitty- did you find a better price or decide to do something else?