Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribug26

Thoughts, ideas on island...

Decided to post a thread on this, we've had a bit of discussion about it in the "it's August 2013..." thread.
(and I know there's a kitchen forum, but I like it better here...)

Our home is in the foundation stage right now.

I'm planning on the island being 38" tall (standard 36" cabs on a 2" platform) for easy standing/leaning/work area.

Sparkler posted this picture of her kitchen & it's almost identical to mine. I love the island. That is the shape I've had in my mind all along...

I love sparkler's island for her reasons: "I chose it because I knew I'd want a space for people to sit and chat when I'm cooking. But I like that I can be working on something like decorating cookies or pulling pork and be able to talk to someone in the living room or even just watch tv." (except I don't decorate cookies, but I do pull a lot of pork!!) BUT!!! I'm kinda torn. Cons: people sitting at the island having their backs to the main room (bar, dining, living room). And the big area between the corner of the kitchen & the curve in the island (this could also be a pro! Idk.)

I'm also torn b/c I currently have an "eat in kitchen"with a small square table that is the "kids table". With my new room layout I won't really have that space, other than the island, but again, they'll have their backs to the main table (again, maybe a pro! Lol)

Ok I can't for the life of me figure out how to post multiple pictures in a post ;(

Comments (18)

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also LOVE this:

We pretty often have card parties where we have 3 or 4 tables of euchre going in an round robin. Which requires another table.
    This is my inspiration picture. In my mind IâÂÂm thinking a square table, with stools on the island side (no bench), and backed chairs/stools on the other side. When not in use, the stools would slide under the table and it could be pushed up flush to the island. So the people on the stools could face the table or the island (also canâÂÂt decide if the island would still have a bit of an overhang or not)

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's my layout, without the island.

• nycefarm_gw
    10 years ago

I would not worry about people seated at the island having their backs to the main area.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well that would be the easiest solution.

• Houseofsticks
    10 years ago

I'd either do option #2 with the stools and changes you mentioned or turn the island 90* and their backs would face the entry and closet. Are you keeping the support post?

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes the support post is staying...as far as I know. :)

I was thinking with the stools then it could be pushed together as one piece and people sit around it or pulled apart, and people on both sides :)

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

Option #2 is so beautiful and unique. I would *totally* do that if my kitchen allowed for it. do it... do it.... do it!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Are you planning to have the island with table...and the dining table, or is this instead of the table, in your plan?

I don't know if this would work, but I've always liked this picture :) {{gwi:1487862}}From Farmhouse plans

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

carson - Thanks, I really do like it. Do you think it will still be beautiful & unique the way I'm thinking, with stools, without the bench?

lavender - I'll need to keep mine separated just to not block a traffic pattern, but I love that kitchen!!! :)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

I think you may need to rethink some of your priorities. A "normal" table is approximately 30" high and the seats of "standard" chairs for use at such tables is approximately 17"-18".

If your island top is to be 38" high, that is too tall for standard chairs/stools and will require chairs/stools that are higher. These typically come in two heights, designed for 36" and 42" high island counters. These chair/stools are too high for use at a standard table.

Unless I've missed something in your description, you need to give further consideration as to how your table and island may be used together. One commonly used option is to add a 30" high eating top to the dining side of the island.

Good luck on your project.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The big dining room table wouldn't be a part of it.
    It is more for extra seating, as well as making the island dual purpose.

More like a bistro table as part of the island.

I'm having the dining room table made by a wood worker friend of ours, so I'll probably have him do this table too to work with the island. I'm pretty sure we'll be making the stools/chairs too. :) I was already planning on that since 38" is an odd height. I also have a bar area, which will have a 42" counter.

Our house is the gathering place. So while to some all of this public space and seating areas might seem odd, to us it's very normal.

Loving the comments, keep 'em coming!! :)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is 13' wide and as you said, you need to leave a walkway around the dining room table...and the basement door. How much room do you have for the island?

Maybe I'm not visualizing your plan very well (wouldn't be the first time!) but I don't think you have room for much more than an island and stools...unless you slide the dining table over to the island and put a couple of extra chairs by the fireplace.

Can you sketch your idea on the plan? Maybe then we could see the dimensions and get a better idea of what you hope to do. It sounds great, just not sure it will fit...but I hope it does :)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Your island will end up being 40"...

36" cabinets +2" platform + COUNTERTOP. If that is a solid surface countertop, you are talking another 1.5"... You might want to reconsider your platform (or not, if you are tall like me).

But, your finished height will be higher than 38".

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good catch kirkhall... :) I'm not tall, but I like standing height counters. Makes my back not hurt near as much!!

This sketch is close to what I'm thinking. And maybe it just needs to be that the extra table could be brought in if needed. :)

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

This is a GW kitchen. Unfortunately I can't remember whose it is, but I saved the picture because I liked the way they nested the table into the island. When they have more than 3 at the table, they pull it out and bring out extra chairs.

Posting in case this gives you some ideas too.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cool, thanks!! :) I like it!

Island is approx 3 X 6

• worldinapapercup
    10 years ago

Personally, I don't think I would mind having people's backs being to living area while sitting at the bar.

• cardinal94
    10 years ago

Maybe I'm the only sloppy one, but to me, the picture of the seating so close to the sink would be a problem. I can picture myself cleaning the big turkey roaster and splattering onto the pretty pillows. I wouldn't want a ledge there, but wider counter space between sink & pillows.