Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost to install trim?

Posted by greta17 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 11:19

What's a reasonable cost to install all the trim in the house?

We have a 3600 sq. foot 2 story home and we received a quote for $2000 (labor only) to install all door casings, window casings, baseboard, and to sand/strip and then hang the old wooden doors we purchased. The cost does not including prime or paint, just putting it up.

Does this sound reasonable? We've seen their work and its excellent.

Thanks!
Greta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost to install trim?

Sounds good. We have recieved quotes from 1.00 to 2.80 per square foot, but the 2.80 included building cabinets on site (labor only, no materials). We are going with a guy who is charging us 1.80 per square foot. We are buying the kitchen cabinets but this amount includes labor to make the vanities and the built-ins on the closet as well. Texas

o

We just received a quote from a reputable company in Charlotte, NC 1.15 - 1.35/sq ft. No cabinetry. All Wood Trim (inc. crowns in living areas, 2 piece chair rail in dining hall and wainscot in Study), Hang Doors and Lock up.

o

Unless the moulding is to be stained you should be buying it primed.

Have you already purchased the moulding? If so, how many linear feet of the moulding did you buy?

Rachel & Kempton, are those sq footage prices based on the house square footage? I don't see the relationship between house square footage & installing moulding labor cost. The amount of moulding used in a house varies widely from homeowner to homeowner. Some prefer vary little, say just baseboard & window/door trim, others like a lot with dental moulding, chair rails, etc, etc.

Or did they quote those prices based on linear feet of moulding used?

o

I charge $45.00 per split jam door. $90.00 per solid jam door. $90 per window with jam extensions and sill. $45.00 per window pitcher framed not extensions. $2.00 per lineal foot of trim crown, base, chair rail matters not 2 bucks a foot per piece.
Kitchen cabinets per made $45.00 per box counter top $5.00 per foot. Mill work $65.00 per hour

o

The prices I were given were based on the square footage of the house which I didn't understand either. In theory, I'd be paying the same labor if I had crown in every room or none. Of course the guys did come out and look at the house and may have tweaked their numbers a bit based on what I described but their price ended up pretty much what their "general price" is. I was puzzled too.

o

Labour prices are extemely dependent on local markets.

I suspect the OP is in the deep or mid South. Here in Toronto, Canada, I just paid the trim carpenter $7,200 for trimming out a 3,100 sf. luxury home including baseboards, casings and jambs for 49 doors, including 5 pocket doors, lots of oak trim and linen closets. Also extra for wood panelling, repair of badly installed oak bullnoses and some outide trim.

If I weren't an experienced homebuilder I might have gone for other quotes ranging from $9,500-$14,500

o

$4900 for all window trim(wood), hanging doors, baseboards (2 piece) for 4,800+ feet conditioned area - Florida.

excludes installing cabinets, crown and stair.

Nearly finished. Has done nice job.

o

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like we're getting a very fair price.
To clarify a couple of questions asked:
- We're located in Dallas.
- The wood is preprimed.
- Price does not include crown or stair trim....just baseboards, window and door casing/jams, and to strip all existing paint from the doors (we purchsed them from a salvage warehouse plus our neighbors house was being torn down so we got his old doors too), and then reinstall the doors.
- 22 doors w/ doors, 4 cased openings without doors, 26 windows

We're responsible for caulking, priming, and painting.

o
RE: Cost to install baseboard trim plus the name of carpenter to

I have the baseboard, already stained for master bath area and water closet. Both areas less then 100 ft. I need cost to install plus the name or names of Good Carpenters to do the job in the Arvada CO area

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here