Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suz04079

Salvage for new construction?

suz04079
9 years ago

Going to largest salvage yard in NE this afternoon. Is there anything that I should or shouldn't buy for new construction?

Comments (7)

• worthy
    9 years ago

Anything containing wood should be carefully inspected for mould contamination and insect infestation.

Building inspectors may not allow wood framing or steel structural materials, including lintels and I-Beams to be reused. Metals are salvaged from demolitions, but then sent right to recyclers.

• suz04079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. We made the 1 1/2 hour drive and it was a waste of time. I wasn't thinking of building materials but rather things like door knobs, interior doors, etc.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I find that it takes a lot of effort to find salvage for a whole house. I go to Habitat Restore, and another local salvage place every couple of weeks. I've been doing this for the last year, and I've purchased a few light fixtures, and a sink.

Part of that time, I didn't have plans, so buying a door that might not fit wouldn't have been a good idea. But part of it is they just don't have everything every day.

Craigslist & Kijiji are other sources.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

Some parts of the country have good deals, if you can find them. I bought 10 matching 5 panel doors for $10 a piece on craigslist. Antique stores that sell architectural pieces want BIG money for them. I've also bought some bits and pieces on ebay.

• thisishishouse
    9 years ago

suz: Coincidentally, what is the "largest" salvage yard in NE? Actually, back up. Is your NE "New England" or NEbraska? (Or, god forbid, North Edmonton)

I've been to a few around, and they're good you curiosities or accent/decorative pieces, but I couldn't imagine incorporating a lot into a new construction. You'd almost have to design the home around a special piece like a mantel, bar back, or something large. You'd want the builder & architect involved early.

And to second what Mush said, most "architectural salvage" places want big bucks. I found a gorgeous sink we wanted to use, but they wanted $1200 for it. (And it would've needed to be reglazed)

• suz04079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It touted itself as the biggest in New England. That'll teach me to believe claims like that on the web. I hadn't heard of kiwiji. I'll check it out. I really hadn't thought about using Craigslist or eBay. I had stupidly imagined that a salvage business would have boxes and boxes of doorknobs, corbels, etc.

My architect had told me what would work in new construction and what wouldn't. Now that I think of it, the Brimfield Fair (MA or CT?) would have the things I'm looking for. I had hoped to add character to the house without a huge expense. Thanks for all of the input.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

"(Or, god forbid, North Edmonton)"

Haha, the largest architectural salvage in North Edmonton wouldn't be saying much.

Kijiji is similar to Craigslist (and owned by ebay, I believe). It's much more popular in Canada than CL is.