Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny hole in roof beneath cupola for led to shine in--bad idea?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 11:00

My husband wants to light the cupola with an led that goes into it through a tiny hole in the attic roof. This sounds like a water problem waiting to happen. Any thoughts? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny hole in roof beneath cupola for led to shine in--bad ide

Why not use a solar light?

On the other hand, while holes in the roof are never something to be encouraged, if it is protected by the cupola and well sealed, it should pose only a slight risk for leakage.

o

The fixture should be in the cupola and rated for exterior use so only the hole for the wring needs to be sealed.

What would a lighted cupola simulate? It might appear as if the attic were on fire.

o

Renovator8, that's hilarious!

o

I want it to look like this, NOT blue. How do we achieve this without potential water leaks in the roof?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupola

o

The chapel lights are exterior. The effect from inside lights would be different.

o

agreed with worthy. exterior lighting in posted pic.
is this what OP has in mind?

how to achieve hole in roof with out leaks?
flashing. proper flashing correctly installed.
roofers would have to provide shingle lap to
keep water out, but proper flashing would also
be below shingles.

if the leds were installed shining down then there
would be no holes in roof, rather wiring would
be at top plate. with lights fixtures installed
under eaves. light fixtures would also have to
be rated for exterior use.
real pita to change...but led's have a long long life.

best of luck.

o

Yes, I want it to look like the photo. Would I need to have wires come down the house? Excuse the ignorance. I dont want holes in the roof for this. Is there any other way? Thanks.

o

Those lights are on the cupola itself so the wiring would have to come out of the sides of the cupola.

The wiring for the lighting is essentially inside the glassed in cupola, so the hole for the wiring would come through the roof there, first and then could penetrate the sides of the cupola. I think the places where the cupola are attached to the roof itself will have a stronger potential to leak than a small hole coming up for wiring inside the cupola itself. The fasteners that hold the cupola in place are going to penentrate the roof around the cupola's entire perimeter.

o

I think it's a bad idea on a resident. You might get people trying to renew their car tags and driver's licenses knocking on the door at all hours. ;)

o

Haha. This is in a secluded area On a large lot, but maybe a lit cupola is not residential then. Now I'm worried the cupola is going to make the roof leak.

o

We have a copper cupola and my parent's lakehouse has two. When they are installed as the house is being built/roofed, the chance of leaking is slim to none.

My personal opinion would be not to light the cupola in a residential setting. It becomes too commercial-like, Vegas-like or Disney-ish and detracts from the overall beauty of the home and the land itself.

o

Totally agree with allison. Reminds me of the Magic Kingdom . . .

o

Well, it is an idea from antiquity. A cupola that admits light to the space below through an _oculus_ is called a _lantern_. In rome, since they had a Mediterranean climate the lanterns were not usually glazed, as they also ventilated the building.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here