Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Tiny hole in roof beneath cupola for led to shine in--bad idea?

threeapples
11 years ago

My husband wants to light the cupola with an led that goes into it through a tiny hole in the attic roof. This sounds like a water problem waiting to happen. Any thoughts? thanks!

Comments (13)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Why not use a solar light?

On the other hand, while holes in the roof are never something to be encouraged, if it is protected by the cupola and well sealed, it should pose only a slight risk for leakage.

• User
    11 years ago

The fixture should be in the cupola and rated for exterior use so only the hole for the wring needs to be sealed.

What would a lighted cupola simulate? It might appear as if the attic were on fire.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Renovator8, that's hilarious!

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want it to look like this, NOT blue. How do we achieve this without potential water leaks in the roof?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cupola

• worthy
    11 years ago

The chapel lights are exterior. The effect from inside lights would be different.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

agreed with worthy. exterior lighting in posted pic.
    is this what OP has in mind?

how to achieve hole in roof with out leaks?
    flashing. proper flashing correctly installed.
    roofers would have to provide shingle lap to
    keep water out, but proper flashing would also
    be below shingles.

if the leds were installed shining down then there
    would be no holes in roof, rather wiring would
    be at top plate. with lights fixtures installed
    under eaves. light fixtures would also have to
    be rated for exterior use.
    real pita to change...but led's have a long long life.

best of luck.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I want it to look like the photo. Would I need to have wires come down the house? Excuse the ignorance. I dont want holes in the roof for this. Is there any other way? Thanks.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Those lights are on the cupola itself so the wiring would have to come out of the sides of the cupola.

The wiring for the lighting is essentially inside the glassed in cupola, so the hole for the wiring would come through the roof there, first and then could penetrate the sides of the cupola. I think the places where the cupola are attached to the roof itself will have a stronger potential to leak than a small hole coming up for wiring inside the cupola itself. The fasteners that hold the cupola in place are going to penentrate the roof around the cupola's entire perimeter.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I think it's a bad idea on a resident. You might get people trying to renew their car tags and driver's licenses knocking on the door at all hours. ;)

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha. This is in a secluded area On a large lot, but maybe a lit cupola is not residential then. Now I'm worried the cupola is going to make the roof leak.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

We have a copper cupola and my parent's lakehouse has two. When they are installed as the house is being built/roofed, the chance of leaking is slim to none.

My personal opinion would be not to light the cupola in a residential setting. It becomes too commercial-like, Vegas-like or Disney-ish and detracts from the overall beauty of the home and the land itself.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Totally agree with allison. Reminds me of the Magic Kingdom . . .

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Well, it is an idea from antiquity. A cupola that admits light to the space below through an _oculus_ is called a _lantern_. In rome, since they had a Mediterranean climate the lanterns were not usually glazed, as they also ventilated the building.
    Casey