Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetfish_gw

Dilemma

SweetFish
11 years ago

My wife and I are having a serious dilemma over what to do in our master bed. Basically we need to figure out whether we should sacrifice our sitting room to move the walk in closet to free up the windows in the bedroom. The windows in the back of the house face east. We feel its a waste to have the closet blocking out the sunlight and the view into the back yard. We would also consider adding a longer window r a bay window in that area.

Im looking for some opinions on which direction we should go. Do people actually use their sitting areas in the bedroom? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

I would move the walk in closet to the sitting area you have marked and create a smaller sitting area where the walk in closet was. You will really enjoy the sun in the morning.

We had a sitting area at one end of our master a few houses ago and never used it. I ended up putting my loom there. Now I have one comfortable chair in our master. I am the only one that uses it. Mostly when I want to talk on the phone and get away from the noise of the TV.

I have considered putting a small couch in the same space. Maybe some day if needed.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

"My wife and I are having a serious dilemma over what to do in our master bed."

Not sure this is the correct forum!

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

In my experience they are usually just wasted space. Would you really sit there?

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I think your sitting area is perfect for your closet. Is your sitting area a dormer (with solid walls where the side walls are drawn), or is it a built area with only knee walls and behind those are more eaves?

If you can create closet space to either side of the current sitting area side walls (perhaps under eaves/roof) and use some of the current sitting area as closet as well, it might be neat to have dual reach ins facing each other with the front window at the end of the closet "hall". If not, then even making that the WIC makes more sense to me than wasting that light and full wall and corner on closet space...

• kelhuck
    11 years ago

Definitely switch the closet and sitting room. You could case-out (is that the term?) the wall separating the new sitting and master giving definition to the two areas while enjoying the windows from the entire room.

Example:

{{gwi:1487604}}

• kelhuck
    11 years ago

@mjlb- hahahahaaaa!

• SweetFish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like we are going to move the closet.

MJLB, at first your comment went over my head and I thought you were just being one of those internet a-holes...then I got it. Get your mind out of the gutter :-).

Kelhuck, that pic is exactly what we are looking for..thanks!

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

I use my sitting area daily (it's off our M bedroom; WIC separates it from the bedroom.) But then again it's where my desk is and I work from home 3-4 days/week and use it at night for email, volunteer stuff, etc.

What if you moved your whole master forward, even with the front of the house. Turn the WIC so it's more vertical than horizontal, and make the sitting area the upper left corner of the room.

So basically you have a big rectangle; upper portion is left to right sitting area, WIC with door facing right (as is), hallway to WIC and bathroom, then bathroom. Personally I'd like this because I could get to the closet without going through the bathroom, but I wouldn't have to walk across the whole bedroom to get from the bathroom to the closet.

Then you have windows in your master bedroom on front and left windows, with some light also coming from the top left corner where the sitting area is.

Could depend on how you'll use your sitting area: my rather narrow space works great for my (large) desk and a few smaller pieces of furniture. But if you plan to have a TV in there, you need some distance between your seat and the TV to be comfortable. If you will use it for a cozy reading nook, a corner location could have a nice L shaped window seat.

If you don't envision using it much at all, that's a whole other consideration.