Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaonmymind_gw

Staking Out and Excavation - Problems?

gaonmymind
11 years ago

We are staking out the house tomorrow and then they will start with the excavation and what not.

Anybody ever have issues with this? Any potential problems that I could avoid? This is probably a non-starter, but I thought I would ask in case...

Comments (8)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Make sure you are on the correct lot.

• gaonmymind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol...brickeye believe it or not the re agent for the lot had put the wrong address. So when we came to the neighborhood to see it we were on someone else's property. Agent had the wrong address listed for six months. I had to help her correct the listing!

• Beth Parsons
    11 years ago

I'm sure you & your builder planned for this and it's a non-issue for most people, but we had to move our layout over several feet because I failed to allow space for the outside HVAC units. We have an existing detached garage and needed to leave enough room between it and new house to pull our camper thru to the back. I woke up at 1am in a panic the day after we staked the perimeter out thinking about it!

Have fun laying it out! We were finally able to get this done last week and it was so fun to 'walk through' the downstairs layout, even if the rooms were just orange paint lines on the ground. :)

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

You had a survey of the lot done with the permanent markers located and then it was staked when you purchased it, correct? And any easements and setbacks are also plainly indicated on that survey? Not the seller, or the builder. YOU. You did this, right?

If you didn't have a survey done, STOP everything until that happens. Lot lines are not where some real estate agents or builders think they are, as too many sad sagas have made plain over the years. You do NOT want to build your house 2' into an easement, or (even worse) 2' onto the neighbor's lot and only find out about it after everything is done when the neighbor's can hold you hostage over the situation.

• gaonmymind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yup...I had the survey done before we closed by a big company that warranties their work. Also have several plot maps and rechecked it in the county gis system.

Learned my lesson from the listing fiasco. We also have water setbacks that the county is going to check that before we proceed. Is it overkill to measure the water setback myself with a tape measure?

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

It's never overkill to double check any measurements.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"re agent for the lot had put the wrong address."

You want an actual survey withe at least stakes to mark corners.

Unless you like building someone else a house.

• gaonmymind
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is marked clearly. The neighbor found out that he had landscaped part of our property that way. I will double check measurements.