Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labfm5_gw

New build....Siding material install cost

labfm5
10 years ago

Longtime lurker here. Love the forums.

So quick background....

Just moved to western philly suburbs and doing a new construction home. Advice from my parents in-law was to spec and get pricing for EVERYTHING before signing on he dotted line. So that's what we've been doing the past 3 weeks. We put the initial deposit to "reserve" the lot so all that's remaining now is signing and putting the BIG deposit down ;)

We've been asking for pricing on everything from trim work to built-in cabinets e.t.c. and sadly, it's been all smoke and mirrors. Very broad and general "pricing"....such as "this could be $10,000" e.t.c.

So last week, I asked the builder about a stone exterior. This is a 3500 sq ft home and the standard spec calls for cement siding all around. He came back to me and said $20k to do what's shown in the picture. $19,700 to be exact.

I was kinda appalled but I went back to him asking for:
- installable exterior sq ft
- cost to install stone, cultured stone, brick, stucco on the whole thing
- what credit am I getting for NOT installing std cement siding.

Are my questions unreasonable? I mean, if I elect to do stone/brick/stucco, that means they don't have to purchase the siding material. Shouldn't those avoided costs be passed onto me? Or essentially, shouldn't I, for the most part, be paying a difference between their spec and my upgrade?

Also, what are "average" install price per sq ft for those materials? I'm in PA but I guess numbers from anywhere in the northeast are good reference points.

I just want to get a sense of what it should be costing to do it. I'm not a fan of the process with the current builder. They have a very good reputation but it seems like they want you sign quickly so then you're stuck with whatever they say things cost.

I would think in 2013 that businesses would chose to be more transparent.

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

Stone IS a lot more costly than fiber cement. It's not just the materials. It's the labor. You need a different and more expensive tradesman, and it takes longer. Sometimes weeks longer. Time is money. And planning for the infrastructure for it has to happen from the beginning. You have to have a different foundation, with a brick ledge. That adds costs from the foundation forming and pour all the way through the install. It's not "just" the difference in the cost of the materials here that you're talking about.

Actually, 20K sounds a bit low for the difference to do the whole thing stone instead of siding.

If you want a more transparent type of build, you should be building with a cost plus contract. You have the ability to select anything you want, and you get to see the invoices. However, if you're on a budget, a fixed price contract is usually cheaper. In a fixed price, the builder gives you the price, and the invoices of contractualized materials aren't really your concern unless you decide to change them. Then, there's usually the change fee plus the cost of the difference and the builder's % on top of all of that.

• labfm5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your response holly...

For clarification, the $20k is not for the whole house in stone. If it was, I would have taken that no questions asked!!

The $20k is only for that front portion showed in the picture that has stone on it.

That's why it seems a bit egregious to me. Seems like a small space.

I know stone costs more than cement board. However, saying that alone literally doesn't do me any good. A difference of approx. $2 per sq ft over an entire house can be "considered" a lot more expensive. A difference of $20 per sq ft can also be considered a lot more expensive.

And that's what I'm asking. There is a range for a "lot more expensive". I want to know if that means a $5-$15 per sq ft difference or a $30-$40 per sq ft difference between stone and cement board.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

So the builder owns the lot and the house until it's all done, and the house is a standard design with a "standard spec" that the builder typically builds?

I suspect you're asking for things they don't typically offer. They have a business model where they know with a high degree of certainty how each project will go. This can work well when people stay within the limits and expectations are clear. If it's not an option they already have priced, it takes time to provide a number they have confidence in and they may be gauging your interest with the broad and general pricing before going to their suppliers and subcontractors (and it could be they have to find new ones). Or they'd rather just nudge you back toward something they know well, and they are throwing a big "why not" number at it. If you haven't done so, it may help to compile all of your specific requests and before asking for prices, sit down with the builder and get a good idea of their interest and capabilities for each item. They may be tiring of all of the requests.

If you're seeking customization beyond what is typically offered by this builder, you might want to look elsewhere. Can you be happy with the "standard spec" and lack of transparency? You have the one builder to work with so there's no advantage for him to be transparent, except to earn goodwill. He doesn't have to give you any breakdown, or his actual costs, or agree to deviate from his standard. You've indicated your commitment with a deposit. If you're unable to negotiate, your alternative is to walk and forfeit your lot deposit. Do you get the sense there would be another buyer waiting to jump on this lot, or has the lot been sitting for a while? This could make difference in how accomodating the builder will be.

In any event, you're right that now--before you sign and put a BIG deposit--is the time to negotiate the nature and cost of your selections (choices without cost implications such as colors from a standard palette could be made later, as long as you make them by the time the builder needs them--just verify that the tier/family/range of choices is referenced in the contract). And don't change a thing later.

Have someone review the contract before you sign, if not a lawyer at least run it by someone who's been through this type of process before (a friend, or even someone who's already in one of this builder's houses). If something is omitted or not clearly described in the contract it might not be due to malice but it's likely you'll have expectations that differ from the builder's.

There was a recent thread concerning access to the construction site--you'll want to read up on that, if you're the prospective buyer of the finished house, and not the owner as you would be if you owned the land and financed the construction.

Good luck. Everything in writing!

• 8mpg
    10 years ago

fiber cement is cheap...very cheap. I bought 12' sections 8.25" tall for $6 each at lowes. Im sure the contractor rate is even less. Stone is just very expensive. Your builder probably doesnt have a breakdown of per sqft cost. He probably got a contractor to bid it and gave it to you.