Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Almost Final Plan- Please Review

Zoe52
10 years ago

We are in the final stages of our building plans and would love to have others check it out and comment on it. This is our first and probably only build.

I am posting the first floor here for now. Not sure how to post both floors together in this format.

It will be built in the coastal plains so there will be no basement.

All comments, suggestions and criticisms are wanted.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (17)

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the second floor.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Apparently it is pretty blury not sure how to change that the plans were converted from pdf file to jpg.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

If you upload the photos to a site like photobucket then add them using an html image tag (google it, it's easy) then you can have bigger images than gardenweb is willing to host.

An easy way to control converting from pdf to image is taking a screen shot.

From what you posted, all I can see is that your kitchen is going to be dark. Are you ok with that? Also-- will the stairs in the foyer ever be used? If not, I think you could come up with other, more cost-effective ways of decorating the foyer. One more thing-- as you have this designed, the powder room is closer to the master bedroom than the bath is. The master bath is quite a walk from the bed.

Who will live here? Will the massive sitting room off the master bedroom be used?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Will it be comfortable loading the dw with the sink angled as it is?

• nini804
    10 years ago

I am having a hard time reading this, but is there only 1 bedroom upstairs? And one downstairs?

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These pictures were not very good.. will try again with screen shots

This post was edited by zoe52 on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 12:46

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These pics were no good... I will get the screen shots instead.

This post was edited by zoe52 on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 12:45

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

I get the gist of it, even if it is a little blurry. It's master down, and 3 BR up.

Upstairs: I like how the bathrooms are set up to allow for options as kids grow. I wonder, though, if the two pocket doors on the one bath could be problematic with small kids. They can be loud, and I might worry that kids would be rough with them and cause you some repair issues in the future. I might also tweak the "top" bedroom to avoid having that angled door opening. The smallest BR might be really small (I can't read the measurements). So if that is intended as anything other than a nursery or playroom/kid's study, you might want to give up some of the closet space there and in the bonus room and cede it back to the bedroom.

Downstairs: What are the intended uses of (1) the room with the fireplace adjacent to the MBR and (2) the room directly in front of the foyer and (3) the room across from the laundry?

I might consider flipping the back stairs so that they are entered from the "hall" area rather than from inside the great room. Also, the lawnmower/golf cart/workshop section of the garage is between the cars and the house. Make sure that whomever that space is designed for -- and kids -- understand that there always needs to be a clear passage through that space.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok this is much better picture... I hope!

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2nd floor. Dimensions are hard to read I know.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The home is for two older adults. But I have an extended family that will be visiting mostly other adults. My daughter is not married yet, but there is a potential to have grandkids visiting... or nieces or nephews with kids.

The top bedroom in the back of the house with its own bathroom will be our guest room.

One of the bedrooms will be an exercise room that can be reconfigured to become a bedroom again if needbe for future sale.

The upstairs bathroom with the two pocket doors will have a steam shower/tub combo.

We were wondering if we liked pocket doors up there.

The front room off the Master will be a joint sitting room/office. It will be my computer office space mostly.

The bonus room will be a library/office media man cave for my husband.

I have a dark kitchen now...even though it is off the back with windows it faces north. So I can live with a dark kitchen. There is a room above that so no solar tubes. But the windows off the back of the home face west and it is down south so I would prefer not having it hot even if it were lighter.

The den and kitchen are combined and the den does have two story ceiling height. So that may help the light in the kitchen Maybe we could put in more windows there? There is access to a screened porch from there, too.

This post was edited by zoe52 on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 13:32

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yeah one of my concerns is that the kitchen pantry has an entrance from the back hall. We expanded it to include a closet from the original plans off the entry from the garage.

I plan on putting my freezer in there and the builder thought we could access the room better from that hall while unloading groceries. So the door from the kitchen was closed off to allow me more storage space.

I am aware we will have a long walk through the garage to get to the kitchen... through the third half bay where we will be parking a golf cart. My husband will have to keep a clear path or else!

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh and the builder turned the stairs that way to be able to put built-ins along the wall in the den on either side of the fireplace there. Apparently he needed them to balance... or something. Originally the stairs were straight.

• justinjk
    10 years ago

I would add a coat closet in the entry for guests. Assuming you garage will be your most common entry point I would take space from the laundry to add long closet for coats and shoes.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

That's a loooononnnggggg walk to the potty in the middle of the night.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is a coat closet for guests under the stairwell in the front of the entry into the Master Bedroom.

There is a second coat closet under the stairs in the den, too. The laundry room is to have cubbies for us mostly to store some gym stuff and dog items.

Yeah that long walk to the bathroom is a concern but I am not sure how to change it to accomodate the layout we have. Our current walk to our toilet from our bedroom is even farther than that due to a remodel we did in the mid-90's in our current home. We were told we could move our pipes to the new addition where I wanted the new bath master bath but it would be pretty expensive so we left the plumbing where it was and put our bedroom in the new addition instead.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

If the upstairs is mainly for occasional guests, do you need two staircases?

It's an expensive thing to add.