Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpusa_gw

Which other building forums do you all use?

dpusa
11 years ago

Hey all

I LOVE this website since I found it a week ago! I want to learn more about peoples experiences so wanted to know what other forums or building home websites do people visit?

Thanks

Dylan

Comments (16)

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

hvac-talk.com
    homeowners ask questions pros answer.
    seperates the lookie loos from the folks who
    are in the trades.

energy vanguard blog.
    other building science-y sites.

• worthy
    11 years ago

Forums:

Journal of Light Construction

Green Building Advisor

A speciality forum whose name is forbidden in these hallowed halls as spam.

There is only one non-participatory site that you need read for information on building science.

Building Science Corp.

• dpusa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all, I will check those and any others people mention out.

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Now I'm curious about the forum whose name is forbidden as spam! :)

• jenswrens
    11 years ago

It might be related to tile and one of those special roads they build over water, but I am just guessing... I could be totally wrong and old-school.

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

energy said:

"hvac-talk.com
    homeowners ask questions pros answer.
    seperates the lookie loos from the folks who
    are in the trades"

I read over there occasionally. Seems like half the "pros" are helpful, the other half seem more inclined to engage in what I'll call shop banter/sarcastic or truck driver type comments. Which to me only reinforces the dishonest and sometimes redneck reputation the HVAC contractor industry has. Maybe it's not so different from the reputation of other contractor types, but most homeowners deal with HVAC types more frequently. And, if they're smart, they do so with a high degree of skepticism.

Most HVAC guys are great at blowing smoke you know where, they know it's easy to scare a customer into something expensive that they may neither want nor need. But no one knows or understands, so they get away with it.

• dyno
    11 years ago

Terry Love's forum has everything you'll ever want to know about Toto toilets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Terry Love Plumbing & Remodel DIY Forum & Blog

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

snidley,
    I remember your minisplit thread. just as in
    your post above you were very insulting to
    those of us who do understand the world of hvac
    and chose to share the knowledge with others
    at no charge.
    in every forum there are people who joke around,
    those who share information, and those who show
    their true personality.
    your screen name is an apt reflection of the
    tone of your comments.
    you get back what you give.

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

I think you've misunderstood my comment. My observation was that while many of the contributors over there are generous with their assistance, others aren't. I realize people ask dumb questions, I do that too, but it's not an occasion to rip someone with sarcasm or play cat and mouse.

When having HVAC problems, homeowners feel helpless and vulnerable to being taken advantage of. And it's true, we all know people and situations where the homeowner got had. Don't you? Getting such work done is essential but the cost is often unaffordable. Whatever percentage of the HVAC contractors are scoundrels is too high, and it colors the public's view of the industry. People distrust them and distrust the suggestions they offer. Do you agree or disagree with that?

As for my name, it's a cartoon character, see link below. Dudley Do-right is my favorite from that program, but I didn't want to have the name of either Dudley or Do-Right. I regret the similarity to 'snide', it's not intended.

Here is a link that might be useful: Snidely Whiplash

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I am pretty sure it is the same as Jens suggests... to find it:
    Fill in the words and put them together in a website of form: www blank 1 blank 2 and the com

Dear ________ letter (of breakup)

the structure that supports a road over a river is a ________

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

I don't understand why the other sites can be mentioned and not the specific tile website. Several years ago, it used to be mentioned regularly on GW. They gave us excellent advice when we had an issue with our remodeling. Has it somehow changed from what it was? Lots of other commercial sites are mentioned regularly on GW. if Terry Love's, why not JB?

Anne

• robin0919
    11 years ago

greenbuildingtalk.com is a good building site.

• melaska
    11 years ago

I just visited the 'secret site' and find it to be very informative. Wonder why it's not allowed to be mentioned here if others are? *shrug*

Thanks for all the hints, kirkhall and jens ;)

• dpusa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all, appreciate it. Just want to learn as much as possible

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

I just visited the "other" site as well... Looks like it could be helpful!

Kirkhall - My brain is only semi-functioning at the point (between house planning and being 8 months pregnant) and it took me awhile to figure out your fill in the blanks! :) ha

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Ha! Sorry... You will enjoy sleep again someday. And, take solace in that new mommies have the rare ability of brain growth (which, for a human adult, usually doesn't happen).