Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me decide on siding

Posted by aktillery (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 9:54

This is a picture of our elevation. Ignore all the siding you see. Also, we have an 8ft X 42inch mahogany door. It is very simple. We are planning on vinyl windows with a dark bronze exterior finish. We also plan on a metal roof. Probably a medium to darker brown finish as you see in the inspiration photo.
My problem is what to choose for the siding of the house. At first we wanted all stone. As you will see in my inspiration photo. Then I began to think I want to also add some creamy colored stucco or white. I am not sure where to use the stucco and where to use the stone.

It is difficult to tell in the photo the three dimensional aspect of the elevation. The part that is all stone in the photo is the part of the house that sits out the farthest. The rest is recessed, some parts more than others. The far left of the house showing the stone almost up to the roofline is the farthest recessed (not including the farthest to the right, the garage which sits the farthest back.

Ok, hope I have not confused everyone too much.

So, what would you do? Where would you put the white stone vs the white stucco? Would use keep the stucco white or paint it a color? Would you use stucco at all or the stone only and vice versa. I am wide open to any and all ideas. I can't change the elevation plan now as we are already building.

BTW, we live in the Texas hill country (if that helps)

Somewhat inspiration photo
 photo inspiration_zpse5cc99c7.png

Elevation
 photo elevation_zps363b3c49.png

Our Property
 photo blocksstarting_zps01d8766a.jpg

Thanks so much in advance!
Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me decide on siding

Aktillery - Fellow TX Hill Country resident here! Love the property, looks like you have a view of CL maybe?

Your elevation looks like a modern THC house. Love it! I'm partial to all stone if you can afford it but on your elevation I think it might need to be broken up so the house doesn't have a "squatty" appearance. Have you considered Board & Batten rather than stucco? I think it's a nice alternative. I think the placement of stone/siding shown on your elevation looks appropriate.

o

If you are going for a clean modern look, I would stick with a light color to blend with the stone. I love this grey stucco with the stone:

o

Magdalena, can you tell me where you found those photos?

o

I searched Houzz using "Cornerstone Architect Exterior." I love their work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornerstone Architect Exterior on Houzz

o

Mag, that's funny I love their designs as well. In what part of the hill country do you live?

Yes that's canyon lake.

o

I'm just down the road from you in SW San Marcos.

o

Small world Mag!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here