Plan review

eyezonz
10 years ago

Review my plans please.Looking for problems, concerns, and tips. Thanks

Comments (13)

• eyezonz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are somewhat concern about the side elevations with the single windows on each side do you think we should add more windows? Any other advice on the elevation would help too.

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

Nice plan, and a good use of square footage, imo.

I would definitely add more windows to the secondary bedrooms to get some cross ventilation and more light.

The exterior door in your bedroom is in the middle of a wall, which could make furniture placement a bit difficult.

And I realize I might be in the minority on this, but I highly dislike kitchens with only one egress. Instead of the curved island in the kitchen, I would make one straight island parallel to the back wall, so you can enter the family room easily without having to go around that island.

I assume the staircase is going down, but if it's going up, you could grab some storage space in there.

Good luck!

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

Yes, put in a second window in each of the bedrooms on the right.
    And I am not a fan of that peninsula either.

If this were my house, the master access to the deck would be a sliding door.

Is that a pantry by the powder room? That inward door is awkward, making access difficult. Can it swing out?

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

If you put more windows in the bedrooms, which is a good idea, make sure they don't interfere with bed placement.

I would rework the laundry/mudroom area. The way the powder room shoulders in to two different areas is kind of complex and awkward, plus the washer and dryer back up to the master bedroom wall. So, if you do any laundry overnight (we do) you will hear the water filling and emptying from the washer and the dryer noise.

I think furniture placement could be difficult in the great room.

• eyezonz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We changed to a normal exterior door from a sliding one because we dont like the look of the sliding and didnt want to worry about covering it. It wont interfere with anything where its placed.

We like the peninsula

The door in for a walk in closet to store shoes and coats. We will have to think about the swinging direction.

For the windows on the right side. The one window that is there now is a 3' by 14' and will be placed about the tube surround so its height will be about tall that 6 foot. Should we place similar long skinny windows in the adjacent bedrooms at a similar height or should we use "normal sized" window at normal heights. We definately need more suggestions on window placement and size for the right side of the house.

Anyone else see anything to fix or thing about.

• daisyblue
    10 years ago

You might want to consider adding a door between the laundry room and the master closet. It sure would make the task of laundry a little easier!

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    10 years ago

If you pulled the kitchen forward about 2 ft (adding maybe 30 sq ft to the overall size of the plan but not significantly altering the way it looks) you (or a future owner) would have the option of adding a door from kitchen to den allowing the den to be converted to a dining room.

I too prefer the penninsula to an island in the kitchen. Don't really WANT other people coming into my work zone when they're not cooking.

I would definitely add additional windows to the secondary bedrooms. Either two skinny windows in each room spaced so that a full sized bed can fit between them or a full sized window next to the closet in bedroom 3 and near the corner in bedroom 4. The side of the house doesn't really have to be symmetrical .

I might consider another window into the garage (on the other side of the man door from the overhead doors). If that corner of the garage is ever used as a workshop space, it would be good to have a bit of natural light there.

I also think having the washer/dryer up against the master bedroom wall is not a great idea. Even tho you might be the only one doing laundry now and you never do laundry at night, if you have kids when they get to be teenagers one hopes that they'll start being responsible for their own laundry. And I can promise you that there'll be times when a teenager will decide at midnight that he/she just HAS to wash and dry gym clothes or that special shirt in time for school in the morning. LOL!

I also don't like that one can stand in the kitchen and see into the powder room to the toilet. (Kind of a pet peeve of mine is a view of the toilet from a food prep or eating area.)

I'm wondering if it might work to swap the location of the PR and laundry room; enlarging the master closet and giving you access from master closet to laundry room. Something like this...

Of course the above makes your walk-in closet by the family entry smaller and loses you that little closet in the laundry room so you might not like it. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Finally, you might want to move the cased opening to the hallway to the two bedrooms down further toward the front door so that you don't have a view directly into that bathroom either.

Other than these fairly minor things, I think it looks like a pretty nice plan.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Overall, I like it.

- I'd remove the closet door from the in-laundry room closet. You're already in a utilitarian room, why hide things behind a closet door?

- The master bath vanity really isn't big enough to support two sinks. Not if you want to have any drawers for storage.

- I agree with adding cross-ventilation windows to the secondary bedrooms. I'd do the same to the den.

- Since your guests will have access to the hall bath, I question the need for the powder room. I'd choose to enlarge the storage over having a 1/2 bath in this situation.

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

I see a bottleneck at the kitchen peninsula/dining room table/pathway into the house from the garage/powder room/laundry room. You have a lot going on in that area and not a lot of space to do it in. If a chair is pulled back from the table it's going to bring traffic to a screeching halt.

• eyezonz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We cant figure out if we want the half bath or not. It seems like it will come in handy but then it seems like a waste and we should just enlarge the laundry room.

The master bath vanity is 6ft long, so we can indeed put two sinks in it. Although we are thinking about getting rid of the sink closet to the tub and having a beauty station.

We have decided to add higher placed sliding windows to the secondary bedrooms

Thanks for all the feedback so far

• chwtom
    10 years ago

I would definitely keep the powder room, especially since you have a jack and Jill bath. You don't want you guests using your master bath or going through you kids rooms to go to the bathroom.

I think the area of the master br/laundry/powder is what I don't like.
    You have to walk through those areas to get to the master bedroom. I also don't like sharing a wall with the laundry--we out sound insulation in the laundry walls and its still kind of noisy in the wall adjoining it. I wouldn't want to look at a toilet while I'm cooking.
    Last, I don't particularly like having a door/window from the master bedroom to the porch, where you'll do a lot of entertaining. You'll either have to always have the window shut, which will make it dark in there, or always have it immaculate and have people see your bed.
    I do really like the layout of the two kids bedrooms, the dining room replaced by more if an eati-in kitchen, and the open feel of the great room.

• eyezonz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are concerned about the noise from the laundry but there is no where else we can put it really. Since I dont want the powder room right next to our bedroom. We are planning on having a basement laundry also so hopefully that will give an option to keep noise down.

What type of soundproofing should we use to attempt to eliminate the noise from laundry area.

We just requested the drafter add a window to the storage area in the garage also.

Not really related to this post but I am having trouble locating a list of special requests to make to the contractor to make things better per say. This such as
    - screwing down sub floor
    - taping rigid board
    - air tight drywall

Anyone know a list that exist of things like this that they can refer me to? I have the small things forgotten thread.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Just moving the water and appliances to one of the walls Not connected to the bedroom would help with the sound transmission in the laundry room. It would be a relatively small adjustment of the plan and layout.