Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marshallv_gw

Ping Energy Rater LA (and others...)

marshallv
10 years ago

Hi Energy Rater (or others that would like to chime in) -
My name is Marshall. I've been mostly a lurker on this forum for quite a while and have come to appreciate your knowledge of energy issues, particularly when discussing insulation.

I live in West Texas (hot & dry summers, mild winters). My 3,200 sf house was built in 1991, has the ducts & airhandlers in the attic and currently has what i've been told is adequate blown in insulation on the attic floor. There's lots of slant back vents and soffit vents. Generally, i'm comfortable in the house and on 100deg days, i can easily keep the house at 70+/-.

That's probably because i've got two relatively new 4 ton systems controlling the two zones.

Although everything seems ok, it bothers me to know that my attic is 130+ deg in the summer (at least) and i know that no amount of blown in insulation is going to keep that heat out and also i can't imagine the heat is not getting to the ducts, etc.

I've recently been thinking of foaming the rafters (at a cost of about $1.85sf) with open cell foam to reduce attic heat. Of course, i'd have to seal roof vents,etc.

My main questions are:

a) would this compound the issue with the probably oversized AC units? I know they'd run for shorter cycles and that's not necessarily good, but would the benefits outweigh the draw back?

b) Is it best to leave or remove the existing blown in?

c) is this just a dumb idea all the way around? haha.

Thank you so much for any insights.

Thanks again,
Marshall

Comment (1)

• worthy
    10 years ago

Here's a comprehensive piece by Martin Holladay of Green Building Advisor on considerations in retrofitting a conditioned roof.

Two points often overlooked are:

1) If you have combustion appliances in the attic, in conversion to a conditioned attic, they have to be changed to closed systems, i.e., they get fresh air and exhaust air from outside the attic.

2) Spraying the underside of the roof directly may make it harder to locate leaks, plus a roof replacement requires replacing the insulation as well.