Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgumby

Floor plan feedback

pgumby
9 years ago

Hello all!

I just recently stumbled upon this house plan after a few years of searching. It seems to fit most of our criteria but I would like to change the location of the garage to be alongside the laundry/mud and dining rooms (side loaded). It seems that this plan was designed for a narrow lot and we have 200 ft width to work with.

Also we are not thrilled with the design of the roof and would like something more similar to this (if at all possible): http://houseplans.co/house-plans/22199/

I'd appreciate any and all feedback you have to offer. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to plan

Comments (4)

• bpath
    9 years ago

It looks a bit like one of the Sarah Susanka Not-so-Small houses. Nice. I wonder if it has enough storage, though, for out-of-season clothes and decor? Do you have kids? Does the house provide the play-and-work division you might like?

• Aims
    9 years ago

It's a cool looking house. I love craftsman style. The bedrooms just seem a little small to me. Our rental that we are living in has a master that is 14 x 11 and it is tiny!!

I know some people like having all the bedrooms together on the 2nd floor. Our old house was like that, and I'll tell you that lugging things up and downstairs is a pain. Laundry, vacuum cleaners, etc. To be honest, I don't miss it :)

• pgumby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bpathome:

I should have mentioned that our intention was to remove the closet in the study to add steps into a basement. We will not be finishing it immediately and should have a fair amount of storage there. Also, we're hoping to have some storage above the garage (maybe a 1 1/2 story). Our current home doesn't have a basement or a garage and it is becoming a major pain point.

We have a 19 month old and may add to that after we move. I typically work at home twice a week and really only need a place to set my laptop. The study will serve as a toy garage for a few years.

• pgumby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aimless07:

Good point about the room size. I have a rough time looking at the measurements and imagining them. One thing I have to take the time to do is measure our current rooms to get a good feel for it (and make sure our furniture will fit).

We debated on whether to go with a 1 story vs. 2 story upstairs laundry vs. this current style. It seems that we get the most bang for our buck with a 2 story and a layout like this. We're currently lugging all those things and not minding it but we may we regret it as we near retirement age.