Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's August -- How is your build progressing?

Posted by nutherokie (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 9:17

Hey Flgargoyle, hope everything's going well for you. Since you said you might still be out of regular communication, I'll throw out the progress thread. So, everybody, has the summer been fruitful?

Our finish carpenters just wrapped up and we're prepping for paint. Hallelujah!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's August -- How is your build progressing?

We're 2 weeks into trim w/ about 2+ more to go. It's starting to look really good and I'm eagerly waiting for our panel molding to go up :)

Perhaps my favorite room, the conservatory. There will be floor to ceiling book shelves in here going up to the vaulted ceiling on the wall you can't see opposite where the windows are. This room is also missing its picture frame rail (you can see where the line is) and some applied paneling:
232323232fp539-8>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;299345nu0mrj

The coffered ceiling in the gathering room is coming along beautifully. This room will also have chair rail, if I remember correctly:
232323232fp539;5>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;2-8345nu0mrj

232323232fp539;5>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;2-7345nu0mrj

232323232fp539;8>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;2-6345nu0mrj

232323232fp53988>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;2-5345nu0mrj

Great room and upstairs hallway is also looking nice. There will be paneling in here but that is not done yet :)
232323232fp539;5>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;292345nu0mrj

232323232fp539-5>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;28;345nu0mrj

More crown is coming for the tray ceiling but it has a little:
232323232fp53992>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;28-345nu0mrj

232323232fp539;3>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;288345nu0mrj

They got the medallion up in the breakfast nook, but not the crown yet since our cabinet maker is doing crown in this room to match the cabinets:
232323232fp539-4>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;2--345nu0mrj

232323232fp539;5>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;2-9345nu0mrj

Dining room. We are using carved crown molding in here so this isn't done except for the medallion:
232323232fp53985>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=3396;393;5345nu0mrj

Master bedroom. Raised fireplace is coming along and we now have crown around room and in tray ceiling:
232323232fp539-5>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;29-345nu0mrj

232323232fp539;->nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=3396;393;7345nu0mrj

232323232fp53984>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;2-2345nu0mrj

My door detail. Some of these will be framed out with panel molding. This is the door leading into the kitchen:
232323232fp539;5>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;297345nu0mrj

Back hall when you come in from the garage
232323232fp539-;>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;296345nu0mrj

I love the level of detail they put into their work!
232323232fp53995>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;294345nu0mrj

232323232fp5399->nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339885;293345nu0mrj

o

We're supposed to close August 12!

Our tile is supposed to be finished by the end of today. Then we move on to installing floors, sinks (kitchen's done already), toilets, and the finish details.

o

Looking great Beagles! What pretty detailing, it is going to be amazing!

We have been very busy this past month, and have finally moved into our house. It has been lots of work in the past 2 weeks, and of course it has been 100 degrees for weeks, just to make it even more painful!

I put a bunch of pics in my diary / blog to record the progress. We still have a million odds and ends, and our builder is working on the punch list, but overall, it is great! We are thrilled with it all, and are so happy that we got to enjoy this process so much.

Here are some of the pics....

Here is a link that might be useful: house diary

o

mythreesons your home is lovely! I am very very jealous of that wonderful porch and all of your gorgeous millwork. Can I also ask where you got the chandelier in your master bath? I'm supposed to be done w/ chandies for my house but I may need to bump one of the ones we bought to put that one in instead, it is very pretty! And, BTW, I just spent 1/2 hour reading your blog and looking at you pictures when I should be working !

o

Thanks beagles! That chandelier is from Currey and Co. It is the larger version of the Crystal lights. I have seen it on Neena's lighting before. It is similar (though much much less expensive) that the Niermann Weeks version.

I really do love that light! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: crystal lights

o

Oh, Beagles your house is going to be stunning. All those difficult decisions you made are paying off now. I csn't wait to see more pictures. I'll have to show my dd your conservatory - ever since she first saw it, she has wanted a Beauty and the Beast library, I think you might be getting it. My three sons, I love so many things about your house - the office for the kids, do you homeschool? Or is that just for them to have a place to do stuff, whatever a brilliant idea. Your mudroom, again brilliant with the charging stations, and a cubbie for your dog? Your kitchen/keeping room with window seats! Love it! I've bookmarked your blog so I can see more.
I am also jealous but I have a driveway now. Yay!

o

Thanks mythreesonsnc. I will look for it. I'm not sure if we can find a place since our lights our bought but I love it, as I have also loved the Nierman Weeks since the day I first saw it and I know exactly which one you are talking about. That Nierman Weeks price tag is as ugly as the chandelier is beautiful though!

Thanks momo7. I can't remember Beauty and the Beast, it's been many years since I saw it. I don't remember if you've seen this picture or not, but this is what the cabinets will be like in the conservatory:
window seat

o

Oh my goodness, Beagles!!! You must have 40-50 carpenters working on your house...simply stunning millwork! I cannot wait to see it all painted!

Mythreesons...glorious! So happy you all are in and looking qutie settled. You have some amazing spaces, the kids office area downstairs is genius. The architect drew a spot like that in our plan, but put it upstairs between dd's room and the guest room (in the hall.) I didn't even bother with doing the built-ins for it because I know my children, and they want to be downstairs with me when doing work. I can re-visit the space when they are older. Your dining room wainscoting is glorious! And you know how much I love your island (since our top is basically the same! ;) ) Can't wait to see more pics!

We will be in by the end of the month! Mainly just little things now, except for one big thing...our floors were installed back in May and our HVAC wasn't turned on until 2 weeks ago. Due to the excessive humidity, our 5" white oak boards are cupping pretty bad. Our crawl space is completely finished and conditioned and encapsulated, the AC and dehumidifier is on full blast, but there are a couple of areas still cupped. I am not worried, per se, as I know they will not finish the floors until they are right (I am thinking they may have to replace some) but it is annoying nonetheless! My shutters are up, though, and look divine! I try to temper the bad with the good! :)

I'll post a couple of pic tomorrow!

o

Beagles - incredible!! Our builder said something about doing our coffering similar to yours, but I (was afraid he'd charge me more) told him not to bother. He left the low-ceiling portion flat. I see that your guyz trimmed out that inside lower piece - would love to see a profile of how that's done in case we ever decide to do that ourselves. could probably show DH your pics - he can figure that stuff our pretty good.
How ever did you choose your medallions?? I had no idea - the ones I loved seemed a little much for the house, but they were lovely. I finally decided it didn't matter too much, so went with simple E&D correctly sized. It's only a 9 foot ceiling, and we're also doing some simple panel molding as a "faux tray" (my term). I think it'll be nice. Your trimwork is amazing - looking forward to watching as it comes along!! Nothing nicer than WELL DONE TRIM, to me........

o

wonderwhiskers I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a profile of how it is done, but if you let me know exactly what you are looking for, we can take a ton of pictures and post them for you.

My medallion choice was influenced by the carved marble fireplace in the gathering room and by the rococco floral styling. I looked through about 1000 and I picked medallions that had the same type of raised flowers or similar ones to the carvings on the fireplace. There are also stair brackets that will be put up, as well as carved crown and rosettes on the paneling in the dining room that all incorporate the rose/flower theme. The breakfast nook I diverged into the harvest theme instead because we have some grape moldings, some grapes on the frosted glass pantry door and grapes in our hydrangea mural. We put medallions in every room on the main floor except for the sunroom and conservatory because those rooms have vaulted ceilings, and of course not in the room w/ the coffers or the bathrooms or closets (don't think I wasn't tempted to put them there too, LOL)

nini804, we actually have 2 trim guys plus our cabinet maker who hasn't really started yet except for the fireplace chimney :)

o

Just finished the dirt work. We start on the footings tomorrow.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By bb19 at 2011-08-01

By bb19 at 2011-08-01

By bb19 at 2011-08-01

By bb19 at 2011-08-01

By bb19 at 2011-08-01

By bb19 at 2011-08-01

o

ooh bb, you are in the woods like us. Where are your woods? Ours are in central NC.

o

I'm in Louisiana dekeoboe. I've been to western NC but not central. If it's anything like the Asheville area then you live in paradise.

o

Not quite. Asheville is considered the mountains of NC, we are in the piedmont area (the foothills). But we do still think it is beautiful here, which is why we chose to build our retirement home here.

I must say, I would have never guessed you are in LA.

o

"I must say, I would have never guessed you are in LA."

Only the southern part is the stereotypical LA swamp. The rest of it looks similar to this in its natural state.

o

What beautiful woods..... the light and trees are so pretty. I love it! Congrats on getting started!

o

Thanks mythreesonsnc. Your blog has been great for those of us just getting started. I hope my house turns out as well as yours because it looks perfect.

o

We just finished framing and windows and doors are going in - the interior plumbing has started and we are going over electrical installation tomorrow...

Here are some pictures:

o

Mythreesons - I too have been lusting after that Currey and Co. chandelier for my foyer, but I can't visualize whether it will look either too big or too small. Question -- if you don't mind me asking. What are the dimensions of your master bath? And did you get the Elizabeth version of the chandy (36" w x 50") or the slightly smaller 31"w x 36"?

Thanks.

o

Hi Lolab, my chandelier is the Crystal lights, in the large size -- slightly different from the Elizabeth chandelier.... I think they are nice because they are very airy, so you could get away with a larger size if you are on the fence. My bathroom is odd because it is about 8' x 18' --- but vaulted. What are the dimensions (w/ height) of your foyer?

o

We're starting to make progress! The barn slab has been poured, and the pipe stubs are in the slab. Water has been brought all the way up to the barn as well. I'm building the barn first, to have a place to live while I build the house. The barn will be 28X48, with a 28X32 loft. Starting this weekend, I'll be living on-site, and building will be my full-time job. Here's a pic before the slab was poured- more next month.
Photobucket

o

Wowee, Beagles! You have really done the trim! So much thought and planning went into that.

My3sons, congratulations on finishing and moving in to your beautiful new home. Brava on a job well done!

bb19, that is a lovely lot. I'm envious of your simple foundation prep.

Montel, what a cool house! I love looking at houses I would never dare to build. Can't wait to see more.

flgargoyle, you also have a lovely lot, and I think it's really neat that you are living on site.

We have been plodding along. Lots of little things happening that move us forward. The exterior is all painted except for the porch floors. We still need porch columns, metal roofs on the porches and bumpouts, and gutters. We have the first coat of paint on the interior and the floors made from our very own trees are now installed.

Here's a view of the living room in the morning sun with the newly laid floors:
Photobucket

and from the living room back to the front door:

Photobucket

and from the foyer to the dining room:
Photobucket

from the dining room through the butler's pantry and into the kitchen/family room:
Photobucket

and the kitchen/family room itself:
Photobucket

I told the flooring guys that it was fine to put knotty boards under the bed in the master bedroom. Maybe I should have told them where the bed was going.
Photobucket

And finally, outside, we made a stone staircase to go from the back yard back up to the top of the retaining wall.
Photobucket

I can't wait to start planting!
Photobucket

o

Montel, That is one cool house. It is great to see such a contemporary home. I can't wait to see future updates.

o

Yay, I'm finally posting in the monthly thread! After a huge 5 month setback due to septic permit issues, requiring a custom septic design and many more $$$ than we planned, we are finally under way. We actually broke gound in mid-June, and July flew by with framing starting last week. Here is where we were on Monday:

And then yesterday they framed up the garage:

Our builder is estimating we will be finished by the end of the year. Our house is much more modest than many on this forum, but I have learned so, so much from all of you over the years and hope to sneak some of the wonderful ideas I've gotten here into our budget.

P.S. I'm asking for kitchen plan feedback over at the kitchens forum if anyone want to have a peek (IKEA kitchen).

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA kitchen plan thread

o

Everyone is making such progress! Beautiful houses!

We are still getting more trim. 2 more weeks to go, there's a ton more to do yet. Here's some updated pics- it is quite amazing what they get done in 2 days:

Looking into dining room. Kind of naked w/o the columns though- those are lying on the floor of the garage waiting to go to their home!
into dining roo

great room ceiling 2

great room ceiling 1

conservtory 2

of=50,300,400

See the pencil lines where the panels will go:
of=50,533,399-2

One of our 5 window seats has been built!
of=50,533,399-1

and we are getting stone! This is bluer than it looks. The brown ones aren't brown, they are just muddy!
of=50,533,399

o

Montel - neat house

cintijen and flgargoyle - nice lots, would you both mind posting more photos

buckhead - your home looks great, you and bdib have what I like to refer to as magazine homes because they look like they came out of Souther Living or Veranda

Congrats to all!

o

Wowzers to everyone! Talk about some really great houses. Beagles, I'm in awe of all that trim. Despite the size of our house, we have very little fancy stuff going in. Mostly, I think, because we never really thought about it! LOL Now I wish we had, but our budget is gone gone gone!

Montel, that is going to be a fascinating house to watch going up. Fantastic!

We've been painted and our standard trim has gone in. Builder is only doing one color paint through the house since we didn't want to budget for more than that. We expect our colors to come from, well, everything else!

Apologies in advance, as I've been ill and DH has been taking pictures. They're ALL CROOKED. Had to laugh when I saw them.

Part of the sunroom:
RR

Kitchen:
RR

Family room (ish):
RR

Sadly, that's pretty much all I have to show at this point. There are multiple pictures I can't identify because DH was taking pictures of corners and closets and I have no idea what rooms he was in! And meanwhile, not much will be happening until we get kitchen cabinets in mid-month. Although it's possible the railings for the stairs are going in this week, not sure yet.

But I will note, I've yet to walk through the house during or after work hours where the place has been messy. Our builder is a stickler, and his guys keep the place verrrry clean. Probably cleaner than the house we're living in now! LOL

Hopefully will be back to post in a couple of weeks with kitchen cabs and/or stairs. Meanwhile, welcome to the newbies, and thanks to everyone for sharing!

o

Not a whole lot of progress the last couple of weeks. We did get the shingles, half of the windows, and HVAC. Hope to finish up the plumbing and start on the electrical yet this week. Next week insulation and then the fun part . . . drywall!

o

Mythreesons - back to the chandy question. My foyer is approx 13' x 17' with a 2-story ceiling. Using the add-together-the-dimensions-of-the-room formula, I need a 30" chandelier, at least. But with the height of the ceiling and the airiness of that fixture (which is exactly what I think we both like about it), I'm not sure it will look right.

Thoughts?

o

After what seems like FOREVER, we finally have something to post. Footings, foundations, framing are well under way. I feel like I've spent a fortune and I still have soooo far to go.

Just hired the electrician and ordered the kitchen cabinets, but they don't want to start building them until I make my final appliance selections. Does it look like I'm ready for final anything selections?

Tell me it gets easier .....

Here is a link that might be useful: August photos

o

Southern Living SL977 Sand Mountain--framing almost completed

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Sorry all - I belatedly realized that all the relevant pictures are at the end of my photobucket slideshow (see above). The early ones show lots of framing and foundation issues I had to document for the building inspector. If you start at the end and work backwards until you've seen enough, it'll be a lot quicker.

o

ratucker, again, your green green grass is amazing! And your place is looking great!!

Lolab --- that light is airy, but it does have enough detailing that it would probably still look OK. Do you have any other fixtures in mind?

o

We are under roof!! It took 25 days from when we broke ground.

Pictures, not necessarily in order:

View from the driveway
Photobucket
Our Amish foreman putting in our ThermaTru door.
Photobucket

I LOVE this door...almost as much as my 9'x9' pantry, which I forgot to load a picture of...
Photobucket

foyer, coming into the great room:
Photobucket

I can't believe how clean the crew left it. This is the great room looking into the kitchen and dinette.
Photobucket

View of the great room looking upstairs:
Photobucket

Massive crane pouring concrete in the second story forms:
Photobucket

Thick ICF walls:
Photobucket

Pretty prairie windows are in and sealed. DH would talk about how great the U value is, but I forgot the number.
Photobucket

Our covered back porch. It will have stamped concrete and lovely ceiling fans!
Photobucket

We also decided on our fireplace this week..mostly. Now we need to decide on a wood or concrete surround and hearth (being spec'd out), and we met with 2 of the 4 kitchen companies. We may end up going with our Amish foreman's brother-in-law if the price is right. We have been just blown away by their work and work ethic, so we'd love to have their family do more of our house.
as always, more photos and details on the blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: de Jong Dream House

o

We are moving along very quickly, and I am trying to stay ahead of the pace so that decisions are made re: paint, finishes, fixtures, etc in time :o) This is a bit challenging! Let's see...our brick is complete! We used a "used brick" from Kansas City....a building with a large mural was demolished and the brick was sold...and it is amazing...every once in awhile, you will see a painted brick in all ranges of colors. It is just here and there and not really noticeable from the road. It is different and we love it! The masons are starting the exterior rock. On the inside, electric, plumbing, HVAC are complete, and we are mid-way through the sheet-rock phase. I got to see some of the process...the men who are on the stilts that walk around...float and tape the areas up high. It was like something out of a Transformers movie :o)! Wood floors should go in next week! WE are the cleanup crew so if the sheetrockers finish by Friday, the weekend will be busy. Our temps have been very high the past several weeks 90s-110s. We have to wait until the temps get a bit more normal before we are able to pour the driveway!
Still working on choosing the finishes and am still unsure of many things! I am so enjoying seeing everyone's progress! Last month, some of you just had a foundation or just dirt, and now there are walls and roofs!
This forum is like a lifeline, right?
Thanks for sharing all of your info and pics!

o

Well boy oh boy. Went for our weekly meeting today and got pictures of our stair railings. Nothing is stained or painted, but the pickets are in and look a beaut!

RR

RR

RR

RR

RR

RR

We were in a rush, so we didn't get other pictures yet, but they were putting some of our bathroom cabinets in. They're waiting on kitchen cabinets (semi-custom, so taking longer) but they wanted to keep the schedule moving along so they started with the bathrooms. Tile starts in the next day or so.

But today we got to see them working on our residential elevator! We're getting an elevator due to health problems I have (including knee problems) and because we're expecting to stay here forever. It's really quite odd to see them installing all the mechanicals for it, and I wish we had taken a picture, but we had to run off to look at granite before the warehouse closed.

We did get to meet with our shower door guy, and we're very excited about that. Our shower is big enough that we're getting what they call French doors in the shower. Two side-by-side frameless doors. So fun!

Hopefully next time I'll have some flooring pictures!

o

ImaCurvyGrrl your railings are lovely!

Our stone is moving along:
232323232fp539;8>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339-339;56345nu0mrj

We are ALMOST done with the trim at long last:
Conservatory paneling:232323232fp53998>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339974-68-345nu0mrj

232323232fp53999>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339974-68;345nu0mrj

Front door wall paneling:
232323232fp53986>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339974-688345nu0mrj

Sunroom fireplace built:
232323232fp539;2>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339-339;67345nu0mrj

Back hall:
232323232fp5399->nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339-339;58345nu0mrj

Staircase appliques:
232323232fp539;3>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339-523-;3345nu0mrj

232323232fp539;7>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339-523---345nu0mrj

Dining room- lots more left to do in here! :
232323232fp53998>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339974-686345nu0mrj

Master bath window done:
232323232fp53999>nu=4464>2<3>254>WSNRCG=339974-692345nu0mrj

o

holy cow ICF, your crew has been moving! That is impressive work out of them.
Id be interested to know your windows. I think I will also use a Thermatru door, and fiberglass windows, most likely from Canada since they have ratings far superior to US brands. Thermotech, Inline, etc all have u values pushing .11-.17 for triple pane options. Are yours vinyl?

Everyone else's prgress looks great.
Ima- love the iron stairway!
Beag- you have so much trim and attention to detail! nice.

o

CurvyGirl, I'd love to see pictures of your elevator. We did our first floor with universal design so it's all accessible (including a first floor in-law suite that we can move into if needed). Our large pantry and 2nd floor laundry are stacked so that if we need an elevator later, we'll still have room for the laundry and pantry.

Lzerarc,
yeah, they are AMAZING. It's been quiet this week, as we're figure out our kitchen. We had a cool meeting with an Amish guy who is starting his own cabinet company after working for another company for the last 17 years. His own house is his showroom and it was pretty cool watching our son play with his boys. We are 99% sure we'll go with him. We'll be getting totally custom, Amish made cabinets for only a few thousand more than the stock cabs quoted by 3 others places.

Roofing also starts today.

I'm attaching a link to the blog post DH made about windows and doors. The windows are Jeld-Wen Vinyl Low-E window to Energy Saver Plus. I want to say the U value is .3. I'm not sure about the door.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows and doors

o

ICFgreen~~

I love your door interior and front door choices. IF we build again, we also will have Amish builders (crew of a father and 4 sons)....they are hard working, and clean mouths..and they give you a good days work for a days pay.
Also they come to the job and STAY on the job until it is done before they take on another one...and that is a real plus.

o

Congrats to everyone!
Beagles, I am bowled over every time I see pix of your place.
Mythreesons, I now have figured out (after reading your blog) why your kitchen looked somewhat small to me on the Kitchens forum - it's cause your baking area, pantry, beverage center, kitchen desk, etc are elsewhere! Stunning house, and congrats on moving in!
we may or may not get CO by the end of the month. They're finishing the flooring, the electrical, the trim, and the exterior. Sigh, sounds like a HUGE list. At this point, 3 months behind, all I can do is shrug, and go out and get whatever they ask (we need doorknobs. We need carpet.) and bring lunch every week. I DID tell them today that we had locked in a 60 day refi rate, so they'd BETTER get CO within that time!

o

Phoggie,
Thank you! I just adore the front door a little more than is probably sane! :-)

My mom worked for a few different builders, and she is just stunned by how our build has gone so far. You are absolutely right about our Amish crew. You could eat off the floor they left it so clean. No cigarette butts, trash, anything anywhere. They worked in 95+ degree heat and when we called the GC to give the day off, they refused and said, "As long we can drink lots of water, we're good." Amazing. These guys worked their tails off. I can't say enough good about them.

So much so, that we've just decided that instead of doing stock cabinets, we're hiring the foreman's BIL to do full custom cabinets. He's just starting his own company after 17 years working for a well known cab company and building his own house. He's giving us a great price (actually less than some our stock cab options) because our builder will use our house as a model until our current house sells so it'll be his "showroom" too.

As a side note, it was so cool for our family to meet with his family at their house. It was fantastic to see his work, but the highlight was his two boys taking our toddler's hand and inviting him to play with them while the adults talked. I am SO excited!

o

After a little struggling with sub-contractors we should have CO by the end of August. Just waiting on kitchen, final grading, driveway and some other small details. We had to get an address so my daughter could get a bus stop, so we needed a mailbox for that to become *Official*
Photobucket

Here is the mailbox with stone.
Photobucket

Our wrought iron balusters
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

JMphoto, gorgeous home, and I like the grout outside,remember you mentioning which color to use.

AMake them check your railings, I think they are upside down!

o

Thanks Peytonroad. Updside down?? They can really go either way.

o

I agree with Petonroad that they look to be upside down, but if you like how they look now that is all that matters.

o

Re: JM Photo's iron railings

I think in the end they can go either way but it might look better with the spiral twist on the (slightly) upper portion of the vertical plane. It's a matter of personal preference.

Not a big deal and probably not worth worrying about.

JM, the house looks good and is coming along nicely.

o

JM, they do not look upside down to me. I think they'd look top heavy if flipped the other way :) I think they look very good as they are.

o

Hi Everyone - I can't believe it is August and I can't believe we have windows and outside doors going in. Electrical is roughed in, plumbing too! DSC03965

o

Beagles - looking awesome!
Curvy - love your wrought iron (I lost the quest for mine - DH voted wood, and I was OK either way)
- JM your stone does look good. Nice colors on the exterior.
Whoever had that cool mod house cannot wait to watch that one continue!

Don't have new photos - hope tomorrow, but did want to show off the wood burning fireplace if nobody minds. I left for a biz trip couple of days & DH took a pic with his phone, so kinda crappy looking picture, but you can see the fireplace pretty well.... and they did a good job disguising the fact that the fire box itself was 2 inches off-center in the wall-corner (!!!)

Photobucket

One pic too light, one too dark, but the colors are lovely. Builder had to remove a massive native American (Black?) Cherry tree, and saved the log to make this mantle. An electric planer made just the perfect "rustic" quasi-hewn look I was looking for, and some of the stone has cherry color in it. This room adjacent to kitchen with cider-on-cherry cabs.... looks fabulous! Hope to get better pics soon.
Photobucket

o

Wwwhiskers, absolutely gorgeous! Excellent stone masons!

o

what a pretty cherry mantel and stone wonderwhiskers, and so cool that it came from your place too!

o

I'm so very excited to finally have some progress to post on this forum. We got our grading permit last October and our building permit in April. Started digging footings in May and pouring concrete in June. Framing started this month.

We live about 140 miles away from our build and try to get there every weekend.

Here is the site
Photobucket

Rough grading complete:
Photobucket

Footings (as viewed from back left corner of house):
Photobucket

Framing!
Photobucket

and a view from approx same place as "site" picture above (sorry it is blurry):
Photobucket

o

After what seemed to be an endless wait to get framing started we are making some progress. We had our truss company prebuild our walls in sections to help speed up the framing. My Father in Law is doing the framing on the side and lives 2 hours away so we are trying to make the most of his time when he is on site. The wall sections varied from from 10 to 16 feet in length, 10 ft tall 2x6 #2 pine and were HEAVY! Especially the last one with two window and one door headers in it!

Here is the only pic I have so far. Will take more when I get home tonight!

Photobucket

o

ICF, my apologies, but I've been sick so I haven't been able to get pictures of the elevator. We were on site today for our weekly meeting, but we were rushed and dealing with tile issues and we were gone before I realized that yet again I had no pictures of the elevator.

Were you looking for finished pictures of the elevator cab, or pictures of the drywalled shaft? Unfortunately, the elevator is in, so I can't get pictures of the shaft and mechanics until they put my parents' elevator in next door. Interior pictures I can do. :) If I can remember it next time! Just so much going on that I always remember stuff after I've left the site...

o

Sherrilea,

Where is land located. It's beautiful!

o

Thanks bb19! Quite a compliment coming from you - I love all your trees!

We are in central California.

o

Sherrilea - what a fabulously beautiful setting!! Looking forward to watching your home being built.....

And Cintijen - please post more pics as you can. Looks like you're gonna have a breathtaking view out your back. Looks like treetop level!!

Yard was installed today. Starting to look good!! We expect to close 9/1 & move 9/2. So today, after a month's notice, 1 week notice Alert email, a follow-up 3-day-out email, and 8am & 2pm phone calls, they still couldn't figure out to get the water on so the sod can be watered - but tomorrow morning they'll have me to deal with in person. Seriously!!!

We blew our yard budget burying the gutters & drain away from the foundation, so there's no fun plantings yet - but i have some ideas..... front door not stained yet, shutters not up, lamp posts in but lights not on them yet, otherwise it's close....
Photobucket

Photobucket

We had some large stepping stones embedded into the sidewalk near the two lamp posts. Here's the walk:
Photobucket

Then a closeup of the stone. It'll be cool looking I think when it's cleaned up a little:
Photobucket

And a pic of whole kitchen with pendants:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Little better pic of room with fireplace. Fan motors covered to protect from construction dust:
Photobucket

Should we have the cabinet hardware (2) horizontally on the cabinet above the Vent-a-Hood, or not? What do you think?
Photobucket

That's it for now...... thanks for letting me share!

o

wwwonderwhiskers,

What stain did you use on your kitchen cabinets and what type of wood are your cabinets?

Thanks

o

Looking great wonderwhiskers!

We are progressing both outside and inside!

Front peaks still need stone, but it's getting there!
232323232%7Ffp539%3A3%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D339%3B6%3B3932345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53995%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D339%3B6%3B3934345nu0mrj

Columns are in:
232323232%7Ffp53995%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D339%3A973997345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp539%3C3%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D339%3A973996345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53989%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D339%3A973995345nu0mrj

Master bedroom fireplace is built- there will be cabinets and a window seat coming here:
bedroom

Doors and trim on in conservatory:
conservatory

Paint has started upstairs:
232323232%7Ffp5397%3B%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D339%3B6%3B3938345nu0mrj

o

Everyone's builds look fantastic! We are out of town at the moment and it is so hard to be away. I think they are setting roof trusses today, so hopefully I'll get a picture from our builder. I will try to post some earlier pictures of our lot and the few I have since the ones I posted above later today. We are on five heavily wooded acres and it was even a bit of a surprise to us how up in the treetops we will be on the second floor!

o

Thanks All for the compliments on the stone and color choices.
Wonderwhiskers, looks awesome. I love the fireplace and kitchen cabinets.
Beagles, you have an amazing looking home. I love the color upstairs...mind sharing the name?
Curvygrrl, I love your stairway!
Thanks

o

Sure, JM. It is Sherwin Williams 7601 Dockside Blue.

o

nutherokie asked me to post some of the projects I have designed in the past so I'll try to do that here.

This is a 4,000 s.f. house in the traditional Shingle Style with bleaching oil stained white cedar shingles, Andersen Woodright windows, 9 ft ceilings and mesquite flooring. It was a struggle to get the builder to use the more subtle exterior trim of the Shingle Style instead of his favorite heavy-handed PVC Classical/Greek Revival Style trim but, fortunately, the house proved strong enough to withstand it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o
also

Here is another Shingle Style on Cape Cod but it is a renovation of an old 70's Yankee Barn house. We added a floor above the living room so the LR and MBR could both have the view of the water without expanding toward the side lot line (which proved wise because the house next door burned down and a huge new one is now being built near the property line.)

The builder got the exterior trim right because I made mock ups of it. I don't blame the builders for finding this difficult because it took me many years and a lot of research to figure out how the masters of the Single Style did it.

The original house:

o

The owners loved the site of this old small gambrel roofed house and wanted to build a substantial addition. Expansion to the front and back would destroy the original architecture so we extended each end about 10 ft and turned the attic into 2 bedrooms.

The original house:

o
also

This is a small addition and kitchen renovation for a growing family that wanted to be able to gather in the kitchen and be able to access an outdoor deck from it without removing the existing stairway.

o
again

This is a "French inspired" house with very formal interior spaces connected by a long wide gallery/corridor across the entry side. The owner remarried and moved before the house was finished so I never got photos of the interior. The new owner recently asked me to come over to discuss some modifications and the battery of my digital camera died before I could photograph the interior. Bummer.

The forward projecting wing on the front left is the garage. The exterior finish was supposed to be cement stucco but the owner substituted synthetic EIFS which has stood up well.

o
another

The previous owner had tried to renovate this Greek Revival house himself and finally gave up and sold it. It was a real mess and in a strict historic district but the new owner was willing to spend enough to restore it and we even got permission to add solar voltaic panels on the roof.

o
also

This is a small addition, kitchen remodeling and restoration of a Shingle Style house in a historic district. Most of the work was in achieving authentic detailing and public presentations to the city Preservation Committee. Even the window glass had to be single pane divided lights. The architects from that period make us all look like amateurs today.

o

We FINALLY got some work done on the outside of our build. They started putting up the board and batten last week. I'm attaching a copy of the back of the home and one side, which is what they've gotten finished in the few days they were able to work on my house! The gable over our deck will have Nichiha shake siding. I think the batten strips are from nichiha and the rest of the plank siding/soffits are Hardie.

Photobucket

Board &amp; Battend started on 8/9/11

o

Whoa! Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks Renovator 8. I was hoping you might have interior photos of that gambrel roof house. I fell in love with the photo you posted of the front of the house ages ago and always wanted to see more. It's as beautiful as I'd imagined. And I love the Cape Cod house too, but I can hardly believe it's the same house you started with.

Thanks for posting these. It will be fun to study the details. You know, on my NEXT house ... Kidding. I'm not sure we'll ever finish the one we're working on now.

o

Thanks Renovator8!
Lots to take in - We just bought a craftsman style home in Amhearst Va.
We need to do an addition and renovations and your work is inspiring!

o

Renovator - ditto the thanks. Amazing stuff. That bleaching oil is wonderful. Read about it on Houzz yesterday because it popped up as a suggested picture for me and that is what they used. I dream of a shingle house someday . . . couldn't build it because it was something that would not be approved by the ARB. However, when I retire to the coast of Maine I will call you:)

o

bb19, they are simple Quality brand Cabinetry http://www.qualitycabinets.com/ Quincey 5 is the doorstyle. Wood is Cherry wood with a Cider glaze. And a lot of the cabinet actually IS Cherry wood - very nice. The cider glaze helped tone down some of the blue-cherry-redness, and gave it a very nice warmth (I think).

Renovator, thanks!!! Loved enjoying your pics......

Beagles - you home looking amazing!

archie123 - good luck in Amhearst.

o

Our windows just went in! Plumbing and electrical rough-ins are going in this week. Hoping to see some doors soon also!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

A couple had asked for some other pics of our lot, etc. Here is one the day we started:

And I'll spare you the play-by-play up until now. However, we left for vacation a couple of weeks ago and our house looked like this:

(sorry it's blurry, but you get the idea)

and yesterday when we got home, we were thrilled to find this:

We're excited to be moving along so nicely. Very thankful for great weather these last few weeks!

o

beb0622, your rear elevation is lovely! The front too, but the rear caught my attention. Very nice!

cintijen, your pics did not come through. Did they View on your Preview? Hmmm......

o

www,

yes, they did, but now they're not coming up for me, either. >:-/

Let's try this again (and these are showing up for me in the preview!):

Here is one the day we started:

And I'll spare you the play-by-play up until now. However, we left for vacation a couple of weeks ago and our house looked like this:

(sorry it's blurry, but you get the idea)

and yesterday when we got home, we were thrilled to find this:

o

We broke ground about 4 months ago. The framing has taken longer than we had hoped but now things seem to be moving a little faster. Choosing brick now. Our home is clapboard and brick (New England coloinal) a relative is addicted to this site and now I can see why! Great site, to get so much information.

o

Thanks wonderwhiskers! The house is the "Lake Placid" design by Frank Betz, however, we made quite a few changes.

o

Framing is moving along. Most of first floor sheathing is done. No new pics of the house but here is one of our meeting with the Head house planner!!

Photobucket

He loves being able to walk through the walls of HIS new house!

o

Dhuston, you might want to check to make sure your engineer there is licensed? He looks awfully young to be a licensed engineer ; )

o

I have been amazed by the homes being built on this post during the past 6 weeks. They are jaw dropping. I've been lurking, waiting to be able to become a part of the excitement. Our GC began clearing our lot mid last week. We are on 3.73 acres in a small subdivision. Below is a pic of my husband standing in the location of our future garage. We are a smaller build than most on this thread, but we're really excited about our final (we hope) home build.

Right now we are already 3 weeks behind schedule, but my husband expected that. I'm just happy that we're moving forward! We have been living in an apartment since we sold our home at the end of July and moved to another state. Our land is pie shaped and extends to a road that is in front of the homes in the distance.

o

Pcandlyte - Welcome and congrats on your upcoming build! The framing will more than likely go fast, but don't get used to that speed. It seems to slow down alot after that. Good luck!

o

Thank you for the warm welcome and the warning downsy. Our real estate agents are probably running from the phone when they see that it is me or my husband calling. We've been really anxious to get things moving.

o

What beautiful homes everyone has here! Still in the planning process, hope to be in you guys shoes soon.

wwwwonderwhiskers: You have a lovely home, too. I most definitely love your kitchen layout. May I ask, what are your kitchen dimensions and the island dimensions, also. Thanks in advance for the information!

o

I posted this over in kitchens but in case anyone wants to see that doesn't get over there, here's the first set of (many) cabinets going into our house. They are a custom stain from Dutch Wood Kitchens in PA and they did an amazing job! Anyone around the PA/NJ/NY area, I cannot possibly recommend them more highly:
232323232%7Ffp5399%3B%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A285788%3B345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53984%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A2857892345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53992%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A28578%3A5345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp539%3A7%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A28578%3B2345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp539%3B8%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A28757%3C%3B345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53992%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A2875832345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp539%3A6%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3A2875833345nu0mrj

o

Thank you for the warm welcome and the warning downsy. Our real estate agents are probably running from the phone when they see that it is me or my husband calling. We've been really anxious to get things moving.

o

I am so excited to finally be posting to this thread!!! After lurking, joining and getting so much direct and indirect advice and inspiration we are finally moving along. Here is the last 30 days!!

Sorry about the abnoxious size. I'll get it right eventually.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Wow!!! Everyone has made such great progress!

mythreesons-Congratulations on finally moving in! I know you're absolutely thrilled. I love those porches!!

beagles-I do believe you could sell tickets for tours of your house--absolutely gorgeous!!

buckheadbilly-I am envious of those beautiful stone steps!

wonderwhiskers-Looking great!

We have made huge progress over the last month as well! We're supposed to be on schedule for a CO mid-Sept. Please cross your fingers for us! Granite went in Monday, painters started today, brick masons are to finish the porch fireplace this weekend, exterior trim guys are almost done (columns started going in today)! Now for the pics...

Front of the house...steps went in over the weekend and exterior trim except for columns has been completed, but I forgot to snap an updated pic--just imagine them for now:
Photobucket

Fireplace in Family Room:
Photobucket

Granite & cabinets are in...I will save the venting on how the glaze on the cabinets is the wrong color & some of the cabinets came in made of particle board instead of plywood (Ugh!!!) The island, rangehood, valance over the sink & refrigerator boxing are all still a work in progress.:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Laundry Room:
Photobucket

Tile is in!! Absolutely love my tile guy!

Kids' Baths:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Master Shower:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Powder Room vanity--can't wait for the vessel sink to be installed!!
Photobucket

o
RE: It's August -- How is your build progressing ?

dekeoboe--Where are you building in the piedmont? We're building in Asheboro, just south of Greensboro.

o

mydreamhome - We are in Pittsboro. Your tile looks great. Did you find a place with good deals on tile? That's one of the things on my list. I have a thread over in the bathroom forum regarding pricing. I have a tiny budget and aren't sure where I will be going to get tile.

o

I guess I should post an update. This week we are on pause until we get the second well drilled. As I mentioned last month, we have a 600 ft dry well. Uggh. So, we have decided that instead of ductless mini-splits (which I really, really wanted) we will be going with geothermal. That way we can use the dry well and recoup some of our costs. We have to wait for the state to approve the geothermal and then we will drill again in a different spot where we have a bit different soil and hope we hit water quickly. Since the new spot is behind the house, we have to hold off on the deck because otherwise the well driller won't be able to get behind the house.

One of my husband's favorite pictures because it shows how a 3' overhang (on the right side) works to shade the windows from direct sun at this latitude. The overhang is 51" on the left, which shows how much about 17 inches of difference in overhang can make. It also shows how we are right on an east to west axis as this picture was taken shortly after noon.

Our framing team is great. Everyone who comes by comments on how straight the framing is.

It was really exciting to get the back fill done. No more having to walk the plank! This picture also shows the clerestory in the family room. The garage will be right in front of where the clerestory is. The roof of the garage will be attached to the house, but there will be a breezeway between the two. The house wrap on the center of the roof is covering where the skylight will be.

We had quite a bit of rain before the roof went on, and the Advantech subflooring did it's job, so we had a couple of inches of water on the floors. That meant they had to drill holes in the subfloor and sweep all the water into buckets in the basement. But that won't happen anymore because we have a roof.

We used the zip system roof sheathing, which is guaranteed not to leak for 10 months. I told our builder he did NOT have 10 months to complete the house, never mind get the metal roof on. We have had rain since the roof sheathing went on, and only got blowing rain in the house. Good thing too, since we expect to get some of the rain from Hurricane Irene this weekend.

o

dekeoboe-Your build is looking good! Pittsboro is a wonderful community, I am sure you will love it there. I used to work in that area & we recently sold our house in Graham which is just north of you by about 15-20 minutes. Asheboro would be west of you by about 30 minutes. Keep after the GC about your requests--best advice I can give at this point.

Thanks for the compliments on our tile. I hunted and searched for 2 weeks straight in literally every tile shop I could find in a 3 county area. We ended up getting it through Florida Tile in Greensboro. There are many dealers of Florida Tile in the area, but since they have a warehouse/showroom local why deal with a middle man dealer who is going to jack the price up another percentage? I dealt with Brandon there and he gave us our builder's discount + he price matched based on 1 dealer's quote I had gotten for the same tile. What really set them apart was that Brandon was the only tile rep I met with that actually listened to me on what look I wanted to achieve and then went right to a handful of options that were exactly in line with what I had requested. And I actually managed to come in underbudget on this one!

Here's a rundown on the tile we chose:

Master Shower-Renaissance Grigio 10x13 wall tile, 3x6 subway, 2x2 shower floor tile on mesh backing, 2x10 Renaissance listello in crema. (Tile is also available in crema, noce and brun which is a dark brown)

Kid's Showers-Pristine in alabaster (also available in beige). They are 9x18 and we set them "brick style".

All Floors-Las Olas Sand Dollar--kids' baths used 13x13, master bath used 19x19. The laundry room floor used a pinwheel pattern with the Las Olas Sand Dollar 13x13 and the Las Olas Noce 13x13 cut into quarters. (If I had seen the laundry floor before the master bath floor was done, I would've had some listellos cut into 2x2 pieces and done a similar pattern in the bath.)

Due to the way the tile edges were made, we were able to go with 1/16" grout joints and unsanded grout both of which give the look of a real stone tile design. (Know that you may have to push your GC/installer on this point if you prefer the smaller grout lines--they all like to use 1/8" or more which to me makes more work when it's time to clean.) We chose Pearl colored grout for all the tile--not intentional I assure you, but it truly blended very nicely with all the different tile colors we had specced.

All the wall tile was $2.00 sqft on special with the exception of the listellos & bullnose pieces. The floor tile ran $1.79 sqft with the exception of the shower floor. The Las Olas floor tile was just discontinued a few weeks ago, so if you like the travertine look & feel, but the real deal is not in your budget, you need to jump on this one fast. It comes in 3 colors-Sand Dollar, Noce, and Sea Oats.
Let me know if you need the name of a good installer. We have been thoroughly pleased with the one we have and I would recommend him in a heartbeat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Tile Website

o

pcandlyte - welcome & it'll be cruising before you know it.

sthomas6978, thank you! I will post our first-floor plan pdf here: you are welcomed to it.
Additionally, the Island stone was 57x113 (thus sayeth the fabricators, who are ROCK STARS: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150257223330983&set=pu.257045400982&type=1&theater)
Under the Island, the cabs are 3 rows each 36" wide mix of drawers & cabs. Those are 24" deep with a "dead space" in the middle where I put that bottle shelf thing on the rangetop end. So, granite overhang is 1", 1.5", or 2", sorry I forget just now. Anything else let me know!
Just kitchen:
Photobucket

Kitchen Area:
Photobucket

First Floor:
Photobucket

mydreamhome - very harmonious elevation - looking very nice! lovely front door with the rest of it - looks good.

o

mydreamhome - that is a beautiful house! What kind of granite is that on your kitchen island? I am trying to find something in that same color for our kitchen.

dekeoboe - we are building in Sanford, right down the road from you! Good luck!

o

beb0622-Thanks for the compliment on the house. It's been a long work on progress in our hearts and minds and a VERY quick build. The island granite is called River Valley. The fabricator said it is a cousin to Kashmir White. Looking at the two granites together, the River Valley tends to have more flow, less grey veining and larger clear white to off white areas. The laundry room pics aren't that great due to the lighting, but the counters in there are the Kashmir White that we see pretty standard out there. Each slab is just so different, you really have to go out and look at the slabs in person. Once I saw that River Valley that was it. I actually saw it first in the "leathered" finish vs the polished and I liked that even more, but it didn't go with the vision we had for the kitchen. We got our granite at Schneider Stone in Asheboro-so far nothing but good things to say about them. Don't know if they have anymore full slabs in the polished (pretty sure they do in the leathered finish), but I know our island didn't take up the whole slab (big as it is) and I know I saw some large remnants in the same lot on the granite yard. Hope this helps!

o

mydreamhome - Thanks for the info! Very helpful. Our builder uses Absolute Stone in Cary for their granite. We won't pick out the granite until our cabinets are in and we look at slabs, but from walking around their store, I saw a kashmir white and an ivory white that I really like. I don't remember seeing one called river valley, but I will have to ask about it!

o

mydreamhome - Thanks for the tile information. Those are my kind of prices! We aren't having any tile on the floor, but I definitely need tile for the shower walls and I am wanting the bigger rectangular tile like you used. It also sounds like you used rectified porcelain, which is what I will be trying to find. Definitely will be going to Greensboro next week.

beb0622 - Our mailing address is actually Sanford. We are between Pittsboro and Sanford, right between the Rocky River and the Deep River.

o

It's a small world!

We are building in southern Sanford, near the Tramway area!

o

beb0622-While Schneider had a significant number of samples in the showroom, they had a much bigger selection in the granite yard. River Valley wasn't even on display inside, but they had 5 polished slabs & 3 leathered ones in the yard. Definitely make sure you select your own slabs and depending on the unique characteristics of each one you choose, you may want to be there when they template to help with placement of cutouts. I'll try to get some better pics of the island and the granite top in our oldest son's bathroom to give you examples of what I mean on the templates. From your post, I take it you have already selected your cabinets & finish. Definitely take a sample of your cabinet doors with you when you select your granite. You also might consider calling the granite place & asking when they typically get new slabs in--I got the impression at Schneider that they get theirs all at once and once they've sold most of it another round comes in. You'll want to go when they have the best selection available.

dekeoboe-The tile was not rectified, but it was darn skippy close. Brandon at Fla. Tile said he thought we could get by with 1/8" but that was too wide for my taste. My Dad has done alot of tile work when he was doing renos and he advised just getting with the installer and insisting on the 1/16" joints. When the tile showed up and we met with the installer, he took a look and said 1/16" with unsanded grout was not a problem at all based on the edges even though it wasn't truly rectified. That's why I mentioned that you might have to push for the tighter grout lines if that's the look you like. Some installers may be set in their ways and tell you that you have to use sanded grout and have to have wide grout lines and that's just not true. What type of flooring are you going with in your baths?

o

Thank you for the welcome and reassurance, wonderwhiskers!

I'm in NC too. Sanford was on our list of areas to build, but we went with the Hope Mills area.

Our GC put our build on hold this week to wait until Hurricane Irene passes by. We were hoping to see footings this week, but hopefully next week.

Mydreamhome, your home is beautiful. I love the shower in the master bathroom, and your selection of brick for the exterior.

Dekeoboe, I enjoy seeing the details like the overhang of the roof and pointing out the straight lines of the framing. This helps me too. Thank you.

o

wow, looks like there are a number of us building in NC.

mydreamhome - Thanks for the further TM information. Wish I could go today, but we decided not to venture too far because we aren't sure how bad the winds will get.

We are doing Marmoleum or Armstrong's Marmorette for the bathroom and laundry room floors. I have a bad back and tile is just too hard for me. Kind of a bummer, because tile would definitely be less expensive. Since real linoleum is not too popular here the prices aren't very competitive.

o

IMG_1437 testing to see how picture turn out

o

Hi,

I have been lurking but finally learned to load pictures. We are making progress, have hole dug, foundation completed and rough plumbing.

Lot uncleared

Photobucket

Foundation from front

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We hope to get the septic, sub-floor and start framing. Its great to final be able to post after learning so much from this forum over the last year.

Mel

o

Second Floor walls went up yesterday. Hopefully will have a roof by next week!!!

Photobucket

o

I feel so badly for JMPhoto. Hope she gets some good advice soon!!!

After going to the Dr. last week, I have not been back out to the house. I swear I thought I was gonna stroke-out or have a heart attack. The only levity was when this sweet young guy looked at me sincerely, and asked "so I've heard about your own stresses, and I'm sorry, we can help you with that, but let me ask - have you had any thoughts of doing harm to other people?"

Thought I was gonna wet myself laughing. Then I realized I probably shouldn't laugh quite so hard - he doesn't know me, and doesn't know that the answer is "Seriously? No." But I'm building. When I yell at people in my head, it is not serious. The dichotomy is wrenching. LOL.

I wish everyone the best of luck. Hope to see you all early September, and wake up from this totally un-necessary, ridiculous dream.......

o

Wonderwhiskers, I no longer go to the house during the official "work" hours, only am there when no one is working. I think that it's helping me deal with the stress of this project but I was there Thursday when the templating for the kitchens and bathrooms was being done as I had to get my 2 cents in about the location of seams in the kitchen, he seemed extremely competent (he was there for 3 1/2 hours) so I hope that turns out well, I'll know Tuesday for sure when everything's installed. Of course on Tuesday, that's the day when ALL the hardwood floors are removed and will be redone, that's another stressful issue I won't get into.

Good Luck on your move!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here