Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstlastbuild

style of doors vs stair railings

firstlastbuild
15 years ago

I am trying to put together items that I like for new home on family farm. I can't seem to find what I definately like that coordinates. I like the doors that look like beaded board panels. I like the stairs made with metal balusters with the round twisted metal in the middle. I like wide plank hardwood floors. Does any of this go together?

Comments (7)

• dixiedoodle
    15 years ago

Yes, IMO, it all goes together...very well, in fact. Interior design is a personal preference...choose what you like.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

It all fits in an Arts & Crafts/Craftsman design but the ironwork should have a creative flare to it rather than just the standard patterns IMHO.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Just because you love something doesn't mean you need it in your life.

In my own build, I've had to surrender a lot of individual elements that I like for the sake of the overall look and harmony of the space. I think the beaded doors and wide plank floors are fine, but the metal ballusters will strike a dissonant note unless they are very carefully chosen.

BTW: I'm in the same position as you: building a new home on a cattle ranch that's been in the family for over a century. My design scheme was [or is, still not finished] was to create an exterior that looked as though it could have been built at the turn of the last century, which in my part of the world means a blend of rustic and elegant materials-- arch top windows in cedar gables, for instance. For the interior, I want it to look as though it could have been decorated pre-1930, with only a little updating since.

So basically, it all has to look as though it could have been purchased in that sort of time frame-- bathroom sinks and faucets, light fixtures, railings, floor. So far, it seems to be coming together very nicely.

• firstlastbuild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for your replies. One reason I wanted to use the metal stair spindles with wood banister - it is an open staircase that only goes down. I think with the hardwood (and possible stained trim) it might be too much wood. Any opinions regarding stained wood trim vs painted?

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

IMO, and it IS just an opinion, stained trim [with a protective finish] looks nicer longer and is easier to maintain. Although if you compare a dark stain to a pale paint, no question but the dark will show dust quicker.

Actually, I think which you'll prefer depends on your decorating. I have seen beautiful rooms with all the trim painted, and equally beautiful rooms with all the trim stained. Both types are lovely, but there is a different feel. If you are headed towards the Craftsman ambiance, then stain is usually more appropriate to support the 'natural wood' emphasis.

• huskergirl
    15 years ago

This thread come at a perfect time for me. I am trying to pick out a railing for an open stairway to the basement (stairway is located next to front door). We also live on a farm and I love antiques and have several pieces passed down throught the family. I have selected plank flooring and I'm leaning toward painted trim. I love the metal balusters too - but I don't want things to look to modern. I think the key to this is to keep the balusters relatively simple whether they are wood or metal. I'm thinking of using with the round twisted pieces alternated with 2 simple twisted balusters - Does that make sense?

• firstlastbuild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

your ideas sound like what I like!