Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

Should I out doors on this cabinet or leave open?

bridget helm
9 years ago

I can't decide if I should put doors on the cabinet to the right of the bay window or leave it open? The cabinets on the same wall will have glass doors. I either want 2 solid doors on this cabinet by the bay window or I want to leave it open/no doors as shown in plan

Also for the 2 equal cabinets flanking the sink window. I've been picturing glass on the lower doors and solid on the very tiny upper doors. But I'm guessing that's weird?? Do the very tiny upper doors need to be glass too?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I prefer doors.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There's a peninsula that just out beneath the cabinet in question, so the architect thought that it was a nice way to accent the start of the peninsula.

Also, there are wood grills/muntins on those bay windows. It drives me nuts that they are drawn in.

Should I just have tall uppers rather than the split rail? The ceilings are 8'11"
    The architect drew actual separate cabinets for the very top cabinets by the hood, but single tall doors with split rails on the sink wall and the other wall Shouldn't it be either or?

I posted floor plan so you can see the peninsula. This is a renovation of a 1976 house. there's a funny corner wall thing inside the kitchen desk. Just didn't want you to think our architect was cooky. We think measurement mistakes were made during framing.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

bmh- I think the (no) door decision would depend on whether or not you liked to see that much of your servingware on display at all times. Some people have colorful majolica or Fiestaware that becomes part of their decor, and is used on a regular, if not daily basis.

As to your question about the glass cabs... I personally would carry the glass up to the top for visual continuity if you were going to do glass in the midlevel cabs. Our kitchen has regular doors at shoulder level, with seeded glass top cabs- I chose that configuration because I've had clear glass cabs before that ended up not being very useful to me because of our lifestyle at the time. I used more tupperware and Tervis with teenagers than I used my pretty pewter trays and Mexican pottery, so I put all glass up high in "dead" space in this house... because, I still think it's beautiful and wanted a little touch of it.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just can't decide. I do have beautiful antique hobnail glasses, pretty all white dishes and all white antique dot serveware. Everything I would display would be in shades of white, taupe, and creamwhich will be pretty because we are doing lower cabs in a dark blue green gray. Uppers in a cream with white subway tile. I guess I want to do whatever will look best in this spot--
    Open or closed.

I keep Tupperware in lowers and sippy cups in a drawer with plastic cups.

Anyway, visually would painted wood doors look better here it an open cabinet.

Maybe I should go with open cabinet to save on the cost if the doors??

I had to post a pic of my slab. I bought it today. It's do beautiful! I'm so excited!

• musicgal
    9 years ago

bmh- I can see why you are so excited. Your slab has some great veining and I like the coloration. What is it? It looks honed in the pic, as I don't see any shininess apparent.

You know, your white hobnail and cream colors are going to be beautiful in that kitchen no matter what. Post back when you start work on everything.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

duplicate post delete- but best wishes once more.

This post was edited by musicgal on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 20:43

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! It's called calacatta brasilioro -- from Brazil. It's a leather finish. Flat/matte like honed but it's sort of bumpy. It feels like a smooth tumbled rock. It really is beautiful. I've only seen 2 bundles of it in 18 months avd only at this one distributor that gets all of their slabs from Brazil. The owner is From there and hand picks her bundles while staying with family. Her prices are super competitive, however!

• musicgal
    9 years ago

So pretty bmh. Looks like our counters might be cousins:-) Mine are not honed or leathered. I do like the soft finish the leathering produced. Post again when you decide on the doors- I would love to see how it turns out.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pretty!

We decided to stay open as drawn in the plan. We went with glass to the top on the 2 cabs that flank the sink window. I messed up my decisions on trim paint and den wall paint, so now I'm doubting every decision i make :(

• musicgal
    9 years ago

bmh- it will be beautiful. It's almost impossible not to make some mistakes along the way, but the end result is always more than the sum of its parts:-)