Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefoster

walk out basement VS non-walk out type

cefoster
16 years ago

I didn't cross post because I didn't want to bump another's thread...so I just posted here. I spent all last night reading thru the forum about basements and I am trying to figure if there is a considerable savings in doing a regular basement instead of a walk out basement. I have not been able to really pull any info up so I am sorry in advance if this has been discussed previously. Do any of you have a regular basement and if you do, do you regret not having a walk out type? Also, is the price any different? We do have a sloped lot - to what degree I don't know as of yet. I do not like the look when the back of the home looks 2 story (I know - dumb reason ;) ). Also, hubby is not opposed to as he calls it, an old fashioned type of basement. Do any of you have any pros or cons - except the obvious one, which is resale? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks my Friends!!! --Colleennc

Comments (17)

• tragusa3
    16 years ago

I have a walkout. I can't imagine that anyone would prefer a standard basement if walkout is an option. Advantages to walkout that I see: 1. ability to have full size windows and doors, so that it feels like above grade living space (which it is) 2. Less moisture issues due to being half above grade 3. I'm guessing here, but framed walls have got to be cheaper than concrete

I think the choice will be made for you, based on the grading plan. The property will determine what type of basement you have, unless you throw money at it.

• green-zeus
    16 years ago

The only difference in price,in my experience, is in grading. I built my house 8 years ago with a walkout basement, and even tho I had a decent slope on the property, I thought the excavating for the walkout would be pretty expensive. Turns out that it took very little extra grading.

I can't tell you how many times I've been SO thankful for that walkout basement. When I've been to the lumber yard and can just drive around to the basement to off load it there rather than take it down the stairs, it's worth EVERY cent.

• bungeeii
    16 years ago

If our lot allowed, we certainly would have gone with a walk-out. The expense of the basement itself should not be much more at all. The real added expense is in the doorwall and additional framing, but even with all that, you're looking at less than 10k. (That would have been the case for me here in Michigan anyway.)

You could compromise and put in a "daylight" basement, with the side of the home on the lowest part of the slope having larger windows. (That's what we did, as the lot just wasn't suited for a walkout.)

Another consideration around here is code. We pulled permits for our basement remodel and would not have been approved to put in the family room without an egress window. The same consideration goes for bedrooms.

Code or not, if you're going to create living space down there you'll want to have a safe exit in case of disaster.

I say build what you want, though. If you really like the look of a single story ranch and don't want to mess it up, then don't worry about the basement. Then again, if you're really planning on using the space then you may want to reconsider the importance of the ranch look.

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

We have a partially exposed basement instead of a walk-out. The concrete wall on the partially exposed sides of the basement (2 full sides plus part of another side) is probably 3-1/2 feet tall so that we could put in regular size windows. We did not want a walk out because of the extra security concerns with doors (I knew that people would always forget to lock the door) and because it was just easier to handle drainage issues with our lot if we went with a partially exposed basement instead of a walk out basement. Also, we have teenagers and didn't want to make too easy for them to go in/out of the house at night without our knowing it. I don't regret our decision at all.

• formula1
    16 years ago

Ditto traguse3 comments about feel of above grade living space and less moisture issues (the foundation drains will run downhill). Costs will be more because of windows and exterior finishing materials. But it is worth it, IMO.

Comment about flat lots costing more doesn't jibe with our area, hillside lots cost more, because you can have a walkout.

• housecrazy1970
    16 years ago

gotta love a walkout! My current home does not have one. I always wanted one and when I was house hunting I wouldn't even look at a house without it! Now that I'm building I only looked at lots with walk outs. If you like ground level decks just put a patio out the back of the basement, and you still can have a first floor deck.....best of both worlds!

• wearybuilder
    16 years ago

The building code will dictate what options you have as far as basement is concerned.

We wanted a standard pour basement with egress window and a couple of other small windows in the foundation. I absolutely did not want a walk-out, and DH would have been happy either way. IMHPO, I wanted the security of no doors, the safety in case of tornado (we are in the tornado alley), and I didn't want it to become the sloppy area from coming in from the backyard ("who cares about the mud, it's only the basement! aaarrrgggg) LOL

That being said, think about how you will use the area, make a dream plan of both ways, see what the code says for the land area, check any $$ issues, and by then you should have a clearer vision.

Believe me, I know all of this stuff can feel overwhelming sometimes. Try to keep opinions seperate from facts, do what will be best for you and your family, and you will be fine!

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

We have a walkout. We can sit in the TV room downstairs and look outside through 8' wide sliding door at a patio and lawn. Upstairs, I love the elevated deck partly because it enhances the view.

The guestroom (in basement) is airy with a large bay window and a side window. If there were an emergency, exits are right there.

I doubt we'd have put in a basement at all if we hadn't been able to do a walkout.

Cost is only one factor. Other factors are liveability, esthetics and resale value.

Having said that, it is your house and you should build what you want.

• charliedawg
    16 years ago

I've had a regular basement and now have a walkout. By far I prefer the walkout. But like the others said, your lot will dictate what kind of basement you have.

A friend of ours has a side walk out. So when she goes out her backdoor she is straight in the yard without the need for an elevated deck. But if she wants access to the basement from outside she just goes to the side. Not much of her basement wall exposed. Maybe this would be a good compromise for you.

One of the main reasons that I was very happy to have a walkout was because this is our forever house. One day my mom/dad or inlaws may need to live w/ us and having a seperate entrance to an in-law quarters would be fantastic. And eventually, hopefully way way way down the road, I might need somebody living w/ me 24 hours a day and a basement apartment with it's own entrance would be really nice to have.

For now, we will be using it for a bar, theater room, pool table, music room and exercise room and for a place to let the kids hang out.

BTW - I was told my full walkout would cost about 10,000 more than a standard basement.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

We compromised on this one. I really wanted a walk-out, but mainly because I need access to the outside from the basement for my business. Our builder knew we were trying to cut costs so he suggested going with a walk-up. We still have access to the outdoors from the basement, but without the expense of more excavation to have the walk-out. It's more like an "old-fashioned basement", but that's okay with us since we were going for an old-fashioned look for our house, too! Good luck!

• cefoster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW!! I come home from work and eager to check to see if any one has posted and I have gotten so much wonderful and different advice/opinions. Thank you all so very much for taking time out of your schedule to psot - my sincere thanks to all!! The only thing I hadn't thought about was if we needed to use the basement for additional living space for relatives in the future. It indeed would be more suitable to exit out of a walk out basement than to have a small staircase and a single door. Maybe I will mention to the builder about the daylight basement where we can have a partially exposed basement wall with a wide single french door and perhaps 2 or 3 egress windows in case of escape means. Security issues are always a thought as well. I thank you again and will bring these answers with me to the builders next Tuesday. Thanks again my Friends! ---Colleennc

• minnt
    16 years ago

I went back and forth with deciding on a walk out or not. I think the same way you do, I don't really like the look of a two story home on the backside. That being said, I really wanted big daylight windows in the basement. We went with large windows, but no walk out. We would have had to bring the grade up a bit more for a walk out and as it is, we will have to put in two retaining walls. I am not sure how much more expensive it was with the large windows, but I am sure it was more than smaller windows and the extra expense of the excavation. I thought about what we would be walking out to and that is a woodsy area on our 7 acres. It is nothing special and since most of our living space on the property is on the other side, it didn't seem to make sense to put the walk out in.

We do have the large, two story look on the back side, but we have made that look shorter by siding choices. We put a cedar shake on the top section, then followed with straight siding. You can see photos of it here.

Good luck with your decision. It is one of many you will be going through.

Here is a link that might be useful: My house building blog

• worthy
    16 years ago

Where the choice is mine, I put in a walkout basement.

They have all been on flat infill lots, so they are "conventional". However, they have ranged from triple glass door walkouts onto an extended below-grade patio with 10 foot wide steps up, to simple stairs along the side of the home.

Their big plus is fire safety--it gives you two exits out. They're also useful for in-home offices, in-law and/or rental apartments and offspring separation from the main living area.

For a "conventional" walkout, there's a few thousand dollars in added costs; also you should have careful detailing in cold climates to ensure the safety of the extra footings and below grade walls. Special attention also to drainage.

My cost for the relatively simple walkout below was an extra $5,000+. Just where we excavated a further four feet down was a layer of fine silt that requiring wider footings and extra rebar to span the area. We could have just as easily hit running water--as I did in a previous walkout.

"Conventional" walkout. Risi stone steps and retaining wall.

• cefoster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Worthy - I appreciate your feedback - as I appreciate everyone's feedback (thank you minnt a well). I went to the builder's but we only discussed the 1st and 2nd floor plan - next week we will discuss the basement and I will be sure to bring up all the issues that you have mentioned. Thank you again!!

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

Bumping this thread to post a virtual tour of my sister's house (which just went on the market).

She has a walkout basement...

Here is a link that might be useful: Home with walkout basement

• cefoster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is beautiful....you can't even tell that is a basaement!! Too awesome!