Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdm121

$900 upgrade to have wood over iron balusters?

Katherine Dale
10 years ago

The standard spec sheet showed iron balusters and when we went under contract, we had it changed to wood balusters. For some reason now, our builder is claiming that wood balusters (he's putting in poplar balusters- not an exotic wood) are a $900 upgrade. We had previously priced out another home with another builder and wood balusters were a downgrade with them, so I am wondering- under any circumstances, could the wood balusters be an upgrade? Let alone a $900 upgrade?

It is a single staircase that goes straight up (no turns or landings in between the floors) and most of it is covered by the walls. He said that the wood balusters require larger rails and that the poplar spindles are also more expensive. I haven't been able to find "expensive" poplar spindles. Anyway, I've searched this forum and iron seems to always be an upgrade. However, I thought I would ask you all in case I am missing something.

Comments (9)

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

It's probably more because it isn't the norm for that contractor. Anything he repetitively does is cheaper, and things that are seldom done take more time, different materials, perhaps a different skill. That's just my thought though, I am not a GC and am just starting my first build.

This post was edited by MFatt16 on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 9:24

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

If they are unfinished, it's the slightly different skill set to install them, and then the time to stain and finish them to match. Plus the change order fee and contractor percentage.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

Are the wood balusters already in your contract, and does the contract already have a fixed price? He can't charge extra for something that's already priced into the contract.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Why don't you simply ask the builder for an explanation of the additional charge?

MFatt has likely identified the answer.

I'd bet the labor time and expense for installation and finishing is substantially greater for preparing the wood stair treads, and installing the individual wood spindles and capping handrail than a one-piece, ganged pre-finished metal railing.

It takes a skilled finish carpenter or cabinet-maker to properly install a wood railing. On the other hand, a metal handrail can be installed by an apprentice carpenter with a battery operated drill. And after installation, a painter has to prep and finish the wood rail materials, while the metal railing is likely pre-finished.

Good luck on your project.

• nini804
    10 years ago

Virgil, i think she is having a wooden bannister regardless...it is just the balusters that are iron or wood. Around here...the wooden bannister with iron balusters is very common in both custom and production homes. So, granted I don't know much about stair trim installation, but I would think regardless on material the balusters would attach in a similar manner to the bannister and steps. The wood needs to be painted, but really, that is not that hard! I think they do it before installation, anyway.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

He may already own the Iron Ballusters and would need to purchase the wood ballusters. Virgil is correct, wood railings and ballusters are a totally different installation than wood railing and iron ballisters. And that is not counting the finishing. The iron ballusters probably come to him already finished so their may be additional expense with site finishing of the wood product. Just because a product may be less expensive to purchase in a raw unfinished and uninstalled state does not make it cheaper in the overall picture. Plus many builders charge a "change order" fee which would affect the price as well. This is of course all supposition on our parts and the only way to find out the truth is to ask and hopefully he will be honest with you in his response.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

I don't know how anyone could say if the additional cost is reasonable without knowing the nature of either design.

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

our builder said that an iron railing that's not extremely ornate will cost around the same as wood. he said it would be close enough in price so that i should go with whichever i prefer. from working with him, i can assume that if one is about 400 more than the other, he considers it "the same". once we get to the number 700, then he considers it more expensive. hope this helps!