Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Framing- Tray ceiling off..

Posted by lnia (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 8:35

Hello,

The rough carpenter has framed the tray ceiling. It is off by one inch as we measure from one end to another. I.e. center point is 84 inches across the room and when we measure at another spot, it may be 85 inches. Carpenter is saying that there is a certain tolerance and that drywall will course correct this unevenness. Has anyone else heard something different? I certainly don't want a crooked tray ceiling in the end.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Framing- Tray ceiling off..

The tray ceiling in our dining room was off by a an inch or two, too. We didn't notice, but our builder did, and he made the framers re-do it.

o

the sheet rock is only going to get added to the framing...the framing has to be right...have him redo.

o

^ exactly!

If its uneven before drywall goes up, its going to be uneven when drywall is applied. Have them reframe it before drywall goes up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here